cruise-more fuel or less??? rs4 2000

vw754

vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
I would like to know,if i use cruise control on the m/way will my car use more fuel? i.e does using cruise control use more fuel or less??

RS4 AVANT 2000 MODEL

Its more fuel it uses. As it uses full throttle to maintain speed when you hit a hill or incline. Although it feels to you that its nice and smooth. The ECU is dumping fuel in when your going up a hill.

Remember a while back Top Gear drove an A8 diesel from London to Edinburgh and back? Clarkson reckoned it used more with cruise control on.

The cruise control I used on a Skoda Octavia a while back also wasn't as smooth on the throttle as I was - there was a bit of a jerk when the car realised that more fuel was required going up a hill.

I reckon the best bit about cruise is hitting resume coming out of a peage anyway. :thrashi: :busted_cop:

More in my experience, especially on our roads in the UK.

I bought my Cruise Control thinking that it would save me fuel in the long run, but after experiencing it for a while I realised that a human in control of the throttle is more efficient than automation.

With it activated you are constantly trying to adapt your speed by:

1) Turning it on and off
2) Using the stalk thingy to attempt to control your speed up and down in a very unresponsive way
3) Breaking like crazy when you get it wrong!

Other than that when everything else stacks up for you, it lets you take the pressure off your legs and feet on the occasional long drive ...

But never think about it as a fuel saving device in this country ...

If only we had German roads ... mmmmm!