Tracker Systems

wigginer

Reaction score
Hi,

Tracker systems (Know the basics concept but ...):

What are they all about in detail? i.e Retrieve,Monitor, Horizon ...

Approx initial cost plus annual ongoing subscription would be appreciated.

Thanks

Clive

I'd personally have a look at the RAC track Star system, http://www.ractrackstar.co.uk/ as not many police cars have a tracker "tracer" unit in them. The tack star is a GPS one and has alot more features. It really depends on how much you want to spend and what you want to fit it on.

I read somewhere about a tracking system that has a "tag" that you have to have with you otherwise the engine will stop when the car next stops - usefull in the event of a hijacking.

Anyone got more details?

I worked at Tracker Network a few years ago.

They had a backlog of over 6 months worth of units to register onto their systems. This was an ongoing issue and they had to bring in temporary data entry people to try and clear it up.

I can't say how they are coping at the moment, but they still use temps...

wigginer said:
Hi Sean,

Notice you are pretty much in the same boat ... expecting receipt of an RS4 soon.

Aye, should be getting mine in the next 2 weeks - ish - proving the boat doesn't sink!

wigginer said:
Have you looked into the merits of RAC Tracker System etc, as an alternative to the above?

Yes, I have looked at the RAC systems :puke2: , but there are a whole number of reasons why not to use them. Firstly, they are not approved by Audi, so by fitting one, it could affect the warranty. Secondly, they simply rely on soley GPS technology (which can be defeated by - well I'll not spell it out!), whereas the Tracker Horizon uses two separate tracking technologies, and the Echo/Response uses three active and one passive technology. Next, RAC uses Group4 for both monitoring and interception/recovery, whereas Tracker use all 52 UK Police forces - Group4 have no powers of arrest, whereas the BiB do! Continuing on, the actual "tracing" process is painfully labourious with RAC, they have to actually get a "crime number" from the Police, BEFORE they can initate any trace and recovery, whereas the BiB just get on with it automatically on the Tracker systems. On the RAC, their own control centre has to tell the Police (if/when they actually get involved with the trace) where the actual location is, whereas the Tracker control centre sends info directly to the locator unit fitted in the Police car, and all Police helicopters . . . .

There are a few more reasons why there is only one choice, but I think you should have the full picture by now!

On a lighter note, you can opt for the cheaper option and hide a charger and phone (picked for long battery life and strong signal) within your vehicle.

Register the phone on one of the many cheap mobile triangulation sites for £2 or £3 a month.

You can now view the location of your vehicle online to within 20 metres in most cases (resolution not as good as GPS).

Given that most proffesional car thieves apparently no longer try to hide the car/block signal, but leave the car parked elsewhere in plain sight, waiting to see if it is tracked, it is not such a bad idea.

Teutonic_Tamer said:
Aye, should be getting mine in the next 2 weeks - ish - proving the boat doesn't sink!

Yes, I have looked at the RAC systems :puke2: , but there are a whole number of reasons why not to use them. Firstly, they are not approved by Audi, so by fitting one, it could affect the warranty. Secondly, they simply rely on soley GPS technology (which can be defeated by - well I'll not spell it out!), whereas the Tracker Horizon uses two separate tracking technologies, and the Echo/Response uses three active and one passive technology. Next, RAC uses Group4 for both monitoring and interception/recovery, whereas Tracker use all 52 UK Police forces - Group4 have no powers of arrest, whereas the BiB do! Continuing on, the actual "tracing" process is painfully labourious with RAC, they have to actually get a "crime number" from the Police, BEFORE they can initate any trace and recovery, whereas the BiB just get on with it automatically on the Tracker systems. On the RAC, their own control centre has to tell the Police (if/when they actually get involved with the trace) where the actual location is, whereas the Tracker control centre sends info directly to the locator unit fitted in the Police car, and all Police helicopters . . . .

There are a few more reasons why there is only one choice, but I think you should have the full picture by now!

Sound advice, Thanks

Also, got confirmation of my order today - End April so I'm a slightly 'demob happy' today.

Just need to sell the 'old ******' now and then I will declare the 'fat lady has sang (or is it sung?)' and then I will plugging it all on the site ... BIG STYLE!!!

Anyway for you the 'joy' is gettin really close and I really am jealous of your ability to get out onto some of the best 'drivers' roads in the UK to 'run' the baby in.

wigginer said:
Sound advice, Thanks

OK, glad to help. :thumbsup:

wigginer said:
Also, got confirmation of my order today - End April

Ohh, that's quite quick. Mine was 3½ months from order confirmed to built.

wigginer said:
so I'm a slightly 'demob happy' today.

:jester:

wigginer said:
Anyway for you the 'joy' is gettin really close and I really am jealous of your ability to get out onto some of the best 'drivers' roads in the UK to 'run' the baby in.

Aye, should have the keys in my grubby paws by the end of this month, DVLA cherished transfers permitting!

Where might these best drivers roads be, then? :think:

Teutonic_Tamer said:
OK, glad to help. :thumbsup:

Ohh, that's quite quick. Mine was 3½ months from order confirmed to built.

:jester:

Aye, should have the keys in my grubby paws by the end of this month, DVLA cherished transfers permitting!

Where might these best drivers roads be, then? :think:

Well I assumed you where in Scotland ...