Any B7 owners here come from a CSL?

wish i had that choice!
IMO depends what you use it for.. as a daily driver i think the CSL could be a bit noisey and the seats are supposed to be back breakers on long journeys.
RS 4 more practical and has a V8
CSL less practicle more focused more exclusive imo but still an M3

Thanks. The car will be used for going to work every day and the occasional track day. I'm well aware of the refinement difference between the two, it's not something that will affect my decision really - I'm more concerned with how enjoyable they are to drive

RE the M3 comment, that's exactly the attitude I used to have. I was a staunched Audi enthusiast and wouldn't even entertain the idea of owning a BMW until I actually drove one, and now while I still recognise the image the BMW carries in some circles I no longer think about it; I've got a completely open mind with regards to brands now and consider myself a 'car enthusiast' rather than a 'brand enthusiast'.

I have run a couple of B6 Saloons in the past and have just come from a e46 M3 to a B6 S4 Avant, IMHO if you don't need the practicality of 4 doors I would go for a CSL, although I haven't driven an RS4 I feel that the CSL is much better value right now, you'll end up paying near to 50k for an RS4 and there are much better deals to be had on a CSL, drive it for a year and wait for RS4 prices to soften, although the new M3 will be out by then and then you're in another dilema.

excursion said:
Thanks Dazza, I'm registered on TS so I'll drop him a line.

PM returned!

Just for anyone elses benefit, winter last year saw me put 300 miles on the CSL as I just couldn't keep it on the road in a straight line (on road tyres). Don't get me wrong, it is useable, but you can't boot it unless you're sure of the road conditions. My journeys in the morning to work saw the wheels spin with each dab of the throttle!

The RS will get used nearly every day and I won't even worry about grip.
It has heated leather seats, BOSE, and is quite quiet without the Sport button pressed.

The CSL feels like a racer, quick steering, upright seats, damn noisey and quite firm.

The RS feels like a quick, capable car. There's nothing else that does such a good all round job IMHO.

Cheers all

Ben

excursion said:
As above, I'm deciding between the B7 RS4 and late CSL. I'd like to hear opinions from people who have had both.

Cheers.

not sure what your family situation is but have you considered a 996 C4/C4s?

If you are purchasing with warranty from a dealer. Choose BMW.. Audi are very poor when it comes to looking after their customers. BMW always do very well in customer satisfaction polls. Audi is always at the bottom! Seat, Skoda & VW do MUCH better.

If you dont care if the manufacturer deserves your business then it is down to what you want. I read countless posts on www.rs246.com about how much fun the M3 is.... a class of its own etc etc. I really dont think you would be upset with either... the RS4 though... rare and practical.