B7 RS4 Flat Bottom Steering Wheel

20steps

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I picked myself up a RS4 the other week with all the options I wanted, apart from the flat bottom steering wheel. I can get one from Audi for £650. Is it an easy change over? Will all the controls work on the steering wheel? Will the airbag will go off if you need it?

Thanks in advance

Hi folks,

I picked myself up a RS4 the other week with all the options I wanted, apart from the flat bottom steering wheel. I can get one from Audi for £650. Is it an easy change over? Will all the controls work on the steering wheel? Will the airbag will go off if you need it?

Thanks in advance

Hi, welcome to audi-sport.net. Where are you located? we have site sponsor NHN who could retrofit steering wheel, he supplies and fits and does travel. May be worth dropping him a pm for price. Enjoy the forum :) x

Reactions: NHN
Thanks. I'm based in Edinburgh. I just have the standard non flat bottom RS4 steering wheel.

I think the wiring is harder going from flat-bottom wheel to the multi-function wheel, but you should check with NHN to see if there's more to it. You'll need vagcom/VCDS to recode the car to recognise the flat-bottom wheel.

If you have the standard multi function sterring wheel then it should be a piece of cake as you will already have the correct module and slip ring. If you have then it should be a case of old one off and then new one on. No coding will be needed as all you have done is fit the flat bottomed wheel. I can do this for you and I live just outside Edinburgh and can also scan your car to give it a clean bill of health.

If you have a normal wheel without multi function then its a different story as you will need compatible module and slip ring and recoding via VCDS. NHN should be able to assist in identifying correct parts needed. Another couple of hundred ££££ for both.

If you have then it should be a case of old one off and then new one on. No coding will be needed as all you have done is fit the flat bottomed wheel. I can do this for you and I live just outside Edinburgh and can also scan your car to give it a clean bill of health.

I thought it would flag an error looking for the wrong wheel... if there's no coding needed then you're on even easier street (relatively)!

I thought it would flag an error looking for the wrong wheel... if there's no coding needed then you're on even easier street (relatively)!
I'm almost 100% sure it will need coding to recognise the RS4 FBSW, it's not an MFSW and it has unique coding - and without changing the coding of the SCSM it's probable that the 4 buttons on the wheel (Sport, Set,+ and -) won't work and the SCSM will log a fault code.

Reactions: MartayMcFly
I'm almost 100% sure it will need coding to recognise the RS4 FBSW, it's not an MFSW and it has unique coding - and without changing the coding of the SCSM it's probable that the 4 buttons on the wheel (Sport, Set,+ and -) won't work and the SCSM will log a fault code.

That was my original thought... Mark said no coding needed going mfsw->fbsw, but I'm sure there is some needed.

i think he ment stright swap mfsw to fbmfsw

is the op geting the oem RS4 fbsw with the round buttons silver bottom or a fbmfsw ?

Yes thats exactly what I meant - straight swap from multi to flat bottomed......should be straight fwd fit. Sorry for the confusion guys....I knew what I meant....lol

Yes thats exactly what I meant - straight swap from multi to flat bottomed......should be straight fwd fit. Sorry for the confusion guys....I knew what I meant....lol
Yeah, no coding change needed for that swap.

Might need to clear some fault codes afterwards though... because of removing/replacing the airbag.

I fitted an RS6 wheel to mine. You get to keep all the functions that way. IMG 1947

Reactions: V6 Quatt