• 1 Post By Sandra
  • 1 Post By PetrolDave
  • 1 Post By davebirl

Thread: B7 RS4 Flat Bottom Steering Wheel

Reverse Gear

Status

B7 RS4 Flat Bottom Steering Wheel

Hi folks,

I picked myself up a RS4 the other week with all the options I wanted, apart from the flat bottom steering wheel. I can get one from Audi for £650. Is it an easy change over? Will all the controls work on the steering wheel? Will the airbag will go off if you need it?

Thanks in advance

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    What steering wheel do you have?
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 20steps View Post
    Hi folks,

I picked myself up a RS4 the other week with all the options I wanted, apart from the flat bottom steering wheel. I can get one from Audi for £650. Is it an easy change over? Will all the controls work on the steering wheel? Will the airbag will go off if you need it?

Thanks in advance
    Hi, welcome to audi-sport.net. Where are you located? we have site sponsor NHN who could retrofit steering wheel, he supplies and fits and does travel. May be worth dropping him a pm for price. Enjoy the forum x
    NHN likes this.
    Audi-sport.net Lanyards & Stickers
    To find Audi-Sport-Net members with VCDS check out the MAP

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks. I'm based in Edinburgh. I just have the standard non flat bottom RS4 steering wheel.

6th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow MartayMcFly On Twitter Visit MartayMcFly's Youtube Channel Visit MartayMcFly's Instagram Channel
    I think the wiring is harder going from flat-bottom wheel to the multi-function wheel, but you should check with NHN to see if there's more to it. You'll need vagcom/VCDS to recode the car to recognise the flat-bottom wheel.
    Hunt is over

1st Audi - 2001 Ming Blue 8L S3 210
    2nd Audi - 2008 Black 8P2 S3 3dr
    and now - 2007 Daytona Grey B7 RS4 saloon

Shark Performance In Scotland

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Brodster On Twitter Add Brodster on Facebook
    If you have the standard multi function sterring wheel then it should be a piece of cake as you will already have the correct module and slip ring. If you have then it should be a case of old one off and then new one on. No coding will be needed as all you have done is fit the flat bottomed wheel. I can do this for you and I live just outside Edinburgh and can also scan your car to give it a clean bill of health.

If you have a normal wheel without multi function then its a different story as you will need compatible module and slip ring and recoding via VCDS. NHN should be able to assist in identifying correct parts needed. Another couple of hundred ££££ for both.
    Angelwax/BBS/BCS/Bilstein/Cobra/CTS Turbo/DTUK/H&R/K-Sport/KW/Loba/Milltek/Shark Performance/Oz Racing/TPI/VCDS/V-Maxx/Vossen/Wagner

6th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow MartayMcFly On Twitter Visit MartayMcFly's Youtube Channel Visit MartayMcFly's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodster View Post
    If you have then it should be a case of old one off and then new one on. No coding will be needed as all you have done is fit the flat bottomed wheel. I can do this for you and I live just outside Edinburgh and can also scan your car to give it a clean bill of health.
    I thought it would flag an error looking for the wrong wheel... if there's no coding needed then you're on even easier street (relatively)!
    Hunt is over

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MartayMcFly View Post
    I thought it would flag an error looking for the wrong wheel... if there's no coding needed then you're on even easier street (relatively)!
    I'm almost 100% sure it will need coding to recognise the RS4 FBSW, it's not an MFSW and it has unique coding - and without changing the coding of the SCSM it's probable that the 4 buttons on the wheel (Sport, Set,+ and -) won't work and the SCSM will log a fault code.
    MartayMcFly likes this.
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

6th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    I'm almost 100% sure it will need coding to recognise the RS4 FBSW, it's not an MFSW and it has unique coding - and without changing the coding of the SCSM it's probable that the 4 buttons on the wheel (Sport, Set,+ and -) won't work and the SCSM will log a fault code.
    That was my original thought... Mark said no coding needed going mfsw->fbsw, but I'm sure there is some needed.
    Hunt is over

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    i think he ment stright swap mfsw to fbmfsw

is the op geting the oem RS4 fbsw with the round buttons silver bottom or a fbmfsw ?

Shark Performance In Scotland

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Brodster On Twitter Add Brodster on Facebook
    Yes thats exactly what I meant - straight swap from multi to flat bottomed......should be straight fwd fit. Sorry for the confusion guys....I knew what I meant....lol
    Angelwax/BBS/BCS/Bilstein/Cobra/CTS Turbo/DTUK/H&R/K-Sport/KW/Loba/Milltek/Shark Performance/Oz Racing/TPI/VCDS/V-Maxx/Vossen/Wagner

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodster View Post
    Yes thats exactly what I meant - straight swap from multi to flat bottomed......should be straight fwd fit. Sorry for the confusion guys....I knew what I meant....lol
    Yeah, no coding change needed for that swap.

Might need to clear some fault codes afterwards though... because of removing/replacing the airbag.

2002 S3 MTM Stg III 345bhp

Status
    I fitted an RS6 wheel to mine. You get to keep all the functions that way.IMG_1947.jpg
    V6 Quatt likes this.