Volks AutosAH Fabrications
    3rd Gear

Status

The Anniversary RS4 comes with an NA V8...huh?

This is my first visit to this forum so I am naive but is anyone bothered by Audi's use of the NA V8? I guess I thought Aud was progressing in a different direction with the advent of the 2.5T. I guess I was just expecting more...

Audizine: News: Homage to a modern classic - the Audi RS 4 Avant Nogaro selection

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    Strange

6th Gear

Status
    Expecting them to redesign an entire drive-train for a special paint option? Unlikely.
    Hunt is over

1st Audi - 2001 Ming Blue 8L S3 210
    2nd Audi - 2008 Black 8P2 S3 3dr
    and now - 2007 Daytona Grey B7 RS4 saloon

Status
    I appreciate Audi's sentiment in wanting to tip its hat to an all time classic, but I'm not convinced they've pulled it off successfully. It feels a vague attempt, and the fact fuel efficiency is being talked about in paragraph 2 is probably the most damning indictment of all. Noggy owners want balls out, not balls off!

As for the V8, sound wise I get it for stirring the soul, but unless you whack a £10k PES supercharger on it then it won't go significantly faster for the sake of some basic staple mods (filters / map). I'd have expected flared arches, a 4.5s 0-60 and a controllable Quattro system on this!
    Audi S3 Panther Black [2011] Build Thread
    Mods: Revo Stg2, Blueflame TBE, Eibach Pro springs, R8 oil cap

On order: Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition, Phantom Black [Due 26 May 2014]

Planned Mods: Revo Stg1+ with DSG map, Revo CAI, custom exhaust, H&R Trax spacers, EM Tuning LED interior lights, R8 oil cap, Porsche coolant & brake fluid cap

5th Gear

Status
    Audi don't see the RS sub-brand as that special any more - for proof of that see the quote in this month's Evo from the Detroit Motor Show that every Audio model will have an RS version.

So it's not surprising that they put as little effort as possible into celebrating the 25th anniversary of the RS4.

I think they should have put a supercharger onto the V8, that would have provided the emotional sound of the V8 with the power and torque to make it really a special edition.
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tcardio View Post
    This is my first visit to this forum so I am naive but is anyone bothered by Audi's use of the NA V8? I guess I thought Aud was progressing in a different direction with the advent of the 2.5T. I guess I was just expecting more...

Audizine: News: Homage to a modern classic - the Audi RS 4 Avant Nogaro selection
    I am totally bothered by it, I run the 340 BHP version in my S4 and will be buying the RS4 at some point.

I am trying to persuade the wife into an RS5 before they move it to the 3.0T as the V8 is very special.

Audi S4 quattro in Dolphin Grey Metallic, Silver leather, carbon inlays, RNS-E, 6 speed manual, electrically adjustable & heated seats, xenon headlights with power wash, cruise control, storage pack, 18" OEM RS4 wheels, RS4 ARB, LED lighting upgrade, FASH plus every bill since new.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    Audi don't see the RS sub-brand as that special any more - for proof of that see the quote in this month's Evo from the Detroit Motor Show that every Audio model will have an RS version.

In that case...an RS Q7 is going to be a god damned monster of a car!

and changing all these RS models to 3.0T is utter skank! 4.2V8 should not be removed they are so nice.
    Current - 2006 B7 A4 S Line Saloon 2.0T TFSI Special Edition 220bhp, 18" TTRS Rotors, Ferrari Red front/rear Calipers, 3.5" Powerflow tailpipes, BOSE, Cupra R splitter, Chrome grille slats, S4 Mirror covers, Black/silver leather interior, Debadged, Arm rest delete, LED plate lights, Dectane LED Red/Crystal tail lights. remap/diverter valve soon

Gone - 2005 B7 A4 SE TDI Avant 2.0 140bhp

Reverse Gear

Status
    Can i just ask has anyone had the opportunity to drive a new RS4? I was extremely lucky enough to have one over the christmas period i can genuinely say the thing is an absolute beast. Auto blipping of the throttle on down changes and the roar from the engine on acceleration is awesome!! i even managed to to 22mpg on my daily commute i also got it 4mpg which was probably more the average but hey if you can afford the damn thing you wont mind the 200 miles to a tank will you!!

Just saying thats all

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Av4nt View Post
    In that case...an RS Q7 is going to be a god damned monster of a car!

and changing all these RS models to 3.0T is utter skank! 4.2V8 should not be removed they are so nice.
    RS Q7, I have a DMS tuned 4.2 V8 TDI and thats already way too quick for the type of vehicle, i doubt they would ever make a genuine RS Q7
    V8 baby... oh yeah

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Av4nt View Post

Whilst I agree from an aural perspective the 3.0T has won Ward's engine of the year award 5 years in succession. Not even the 4.2V8 did that.

2014 Winner: Audi 3.0L TFSI Supercharged DOHC V-6 | Ward's 10 Best Engines content from WardsAuto
    Audi S3 Panther Black [2011] Build Thread
    Mods: Revo Stg2, Blueflame TBE, Eibach Pro springs, R8 oil cap

On order: Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition, Phantom Black [Due 26 May 2014]

Planned Mods: Revo Stg1+ with DSG map, Revo CAI, custom exhaust, H&R Trax spacers, EM Tuning LED interior lights, R8 oil cap, Porsche coolant & brake fluid cap

God Mode

Status
    Can't really go wrong with any S or RS engine, more concerned with car weight as that's what kills acceleration, handling and economy.