EM TuningSky Insurance
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By adamss24

Thread: Rs4 b7 4.2 oil - 5w30 or 5w40

Neutral

Status

Rs4 b7 4.2 oil - 5w30 or 5w40

Hi all,

my car was serviced about 3k miles ago (not sure what oil is in there at the minute)

I use the car as my daily commute (about 10 miles a day) with some light traffic. I do sometimes stretch its legs where possible.

oil needs a topup, but unsure whether to put in 5w30 or 40??? Also what brand are you guys using?

thanks

rick

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Just look for an oil that meets the VW spec, don'[t worry about the grade.

I use Castrol Edge - but check you get the one that meets the VW spec, there are several versions and not all of them do.
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

6th Gear

Status
    Use 5w40 fully synthetic oil. You could also use 5w30 but it's too thin and your chain tensioners won't like it and they might start rattling from cold.
    dualmono21 likes this.
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

5th Gear

Status
    got to agree with above

if your going to give the motor a tickle every now and again use the higher temperature rated 5w40
    5w30 is exactly the same as 5w40 at start up where it may change is if you thrash 5w30 long enough and get it too hot it will eventually break down and become too thin for the oil pump to pump correctly on start up hence rattling the chain on start up
    2003 pearlescent black s4 avant tiptronic - milltek exhaust - pre cats removed - remapped ...
    koni adjustable suspension front and rear
    alpine f1 dvi9990 -pxah990 headunit and processor - alpine d511r
    4 x focal 5ws midbass drivers - focal audiom 6w midrange - focal tce tweeters - velodyne df 12 sc servo controlled subwoofer
    3 x phoenix gold zpa 0.5 amplifiers

Neutral

Status
    cheers guys, what is the actual vw spec then? may call up opie oils and order a couple of litres...

saw the link below...may go for the shell helix as i live right next door to a shell petrol station (conviniently!)

Audi - Engine Oil - VW 503.01

think i will top up with 5w 40 to be safe...but i guess it wont matter if it already has 5w 30 in there?

6th Gear

Status
    Your service book will tell you the spec you need (501, 503, 504 or 507 iirc, depending on service schedule), I personally use Edge 5w30.

I can't see it mattering if you change 5w30 for 5w40 oil, but mixing different weights could well cause issues as I'm not sure miscible they'll be. Those 2 are pretty close in terms of viscosity etc so might not be to bad.
    Hunt is over

1st Audi - 2001 Ming Blue 8L S3 210
    2nd Audi - 2008 Black 8P2 S3 3dr
    and now - 2007 Daytona Grey B7 RS4 saloon

5th Gear

Status
    i wouldnt advise mixing oils i would fill up with whatever was used at the last oil change

right now there are two main types of synthetic oil

one is a cracked oil with additives to give it its properties the other is esther based and they dont particularly work well with each other
    2003 pearlescent black s4 avant tiptronic - milltek exhaust - pre cats removed - remapped ...
    koni adjustable suspension front and rear
    alpine f1 dvi9990 -pxah990 headunit and processor - alpine d511r
    4 x focal 5ws midbass drivers - focal audiom 6w midrange - focal tce tweeters - velodyne df 12 sc servo controlled subwoofer
    3 x phoenix gold zpa 0.5 amplifiers

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dualmono21 View Post
    i wouldnt advise mixing oils i would fill up with whatever was used at the last oil change

right now there are two main types of synthetic oil

one is a cracked oil with additives to give it its properties the other is esther based and they dont particularly work well with each other
    Hi

There are three types of synthetic - hydrocracked (modified and refined mineral oil), PAO (proper lab made synthetic) and ester (top end of synthetic oils), this link explains the types.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/tech-...scriptions.pdf

They all mix together fine (in motor oils, ester based oils are a mix of PAO and esters), the only issue is that you are diluting the quality of the better oil by mixing it with a lesser one.

Cheers

Tim
    Use the code AUDIS and get 10% Club Discountoilman's website for VAG engine oil and much more - register for news and offersemail: sales@opieoils.co.ukphone: 01209 202944

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S321BAD View Post
    Hi all,

my car was serviced about 3k miles ago (not sure what oil is in there at the minute)

I use the car as my daily commute (about 10 miles a day) with some light traffic. I do sometimes stretch its legs where possible.

oil needs a topup, but unsure whether to put in 5w30 or 40??? Also what brand are you guys using?

thanks

rick
    Hi Rick

The standard, easily available, choice for your car is a VW 507.00 spec.

VW - Engine Oil - 507.00 - VW 507.00 motor oil

They are fine to use and are required if it's on a long life service schedule.

A lot of people have mentioned that their 4.2 engines can burn a drop of oil, so we sometimes recommend a good 5w-40 instead (also helps to keep the engine quiet).

5w-40 engine oil | 5w40 oil

Out of those, the best ones are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS/CFS NT, Motul 300V, Redline and Gulf Competition. They need to be changed annually or at 10k, whichever comes first and are not approved by VW, but will offer the best level of protection.

Cheers

Tim
    Use the code AUDIS and get 10% Club Discountoilman's website for VAG engine oil and much more - register for news and offersemail: sales@opieoils.co.ukphone: 01209 202944

Neutral

Status
    cheers Tim!

i used Millers Nano drive in my old 8p s3 and definately noticed a difference...

i think im going to top up with 5w 40 millers but not sure which of the 2 to go for? i will eventually use millers for the actual oil change in a few months anyway...

can you recommend which is best between the two millers options and why?

2nd Gear

Status
    Hi Rick

As there is the potential power gain with the CFS NT, I guess you could say that is the better of the two oils, but if you are just topping up, I'd probably save a few quid and go for the Millers XF Longlife as a litre or so in a sump full of oil isn't going to make any difference.

Millers Oils XF LONGLIFE 5w-40 Full Synthetic Engine Oil

Cheers

Tim