Badger5Volks Autos
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By PetrolDave
  • 2 Post By GeoffDunk
  • 1 Post By S321BAD
  • 1 Post By PetrolDave

Thread: B7 rs4 vs e46 m3 what's faster ?

3rd Gear

Status

B7 rs4 vs e46 m3 what's faster ?

What's fast in a straight line a b7 rs4 or e46 m3,I know the rs4 would be faster from a standing start due to Quattro but how about rolling at 30 or 60 ?

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow MartayMcFly On Twitter Visit MartayMcFly's Youtube Channel Visit MartayMcFly's Instagram Channel
    The RS4 has an extra ~80bph, it'll be faster everywhere. You'd need to get an E90/1/2 with the V8 to give a B7 a run for it's money. Around a track a CSL might do it, since the heavy nose of the RS4 can cause handling to be a little clumsy, but in a straight line it's the Audi every time.
    Hunt is over

1st Audi - 2001 Ming Blue 8L S3 210
    2nd Audi - 2008 Black 8P2 S3 3dr
    and now - 2007 Daytona Grey B7 RS4 saloon

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MartayMcFly View Post
    The RS4 has an extra ~80bph, it'll be faster everywhere. You'd need to get an E90/1/2 with the V8 to give a B7 a run for it's money. Around a track a CSL might do it, since the heavy nose of the RS4 can cause handling to be a little clumsy, but in a straight line it's the Audi every time.
    i have read that a lot of rs4s don't make quoted power due to carbon build up

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Goubo1 View Post
    i have read that a lot of rs4s don't make quoted power due to carbon build up
    Don't believe everything you read - in 99% of cases when the lack of power was properly investigated the cause was found to be a problem with the vacuum pipes (which control flaps in the intake).

Carbon buildup causing a large power loss is yet another urban myth.
    Last edited by PetrolDave; 2nd October 2013 at 17:52.
    MartayMcFly and Goubo1 like this.
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add GeoffDunk on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Goubo1 View Post
    What's fast in a straight line a b7 rs4 or e46 m3,I know the rs4 would be faster from a standing start due to Quattro but how about rolling at 30 or 60 ?
    As an owner of both E46 M3 and B6 S4 I can confirm these are pretty close. On dry day the E46 is quicker across country and prob on a track, in the wet the E46 quick across country was scary soemtimes, the S4 is better.

I can only assume the RS4 is quicker than the E46 but I havn't back to backed like above, the ones I have driven fee lquicker than my old M3. The E90 is very quick and again in the dry would out run the RS.

I have found owning both marks with the same power, all year round the Quattro is better, if you want a bigger grin then the E46 is the one but only during the summer (one way ticket to oblivion in ice and snow!!!!)

My AMG Merc was really quick but again in the winter was a nightmare. i used to work for Merc and had a 3.0CDI C class AMG spec then had a C63 6.2 ltr V8 AMG and that was the absolute ******** but any hint of ice and snow then you couldn't drive either, they were that bad. I spent an hour getting out of the Mercedes factory car park after being sent home early due to poor weather conditions, and it was flat tarmac with snow on it.

My switch back to Audi now is so I can have 4WD and the power, it feels so much safer in the winter. The issue I have for the future is that I hate auto boxes, where does that leave me??????????
    Goubo1 and JudderMan like this.

Audi S4 quattro in Dolphin Grey Metallic, Silver leather, carbon inlays, RNS-E, 6 speed manual, electrically adjustable & heated seats, xenon headlights with power wash, cruise control, storage pack, 18" OEM RS4 wheels, RS4 ARB, LED lighting upgrade, FASH plus every bill since new.

4th Gear

Status
    Torque the Torque

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add GeoffDunk on Facebook
    No quite, thats an E92 M3 vs B7 RS4 which is not the orginal question lol

Audi S4 quattro in Dolphin Grey Metallic, Silver leather, carbon inlays, RNS-E, 6 speed manual, electrically adjustable & heated seats, xenon headlights with power wash, cruise control, storage pack, 18" OEM RS4 wheels, RS4 ARB, LED lighting upgrade, FASH plus every bill since new.

Neutral

Status
    i recently had an out an out race with my cousins SMG E46 M3 in my B7 RS4 and beat him in every situation (straight lines rolling from 50, from a standing start, accross roundabouts, etc) was just toying with him. i would say its fairly close without the S button pressed on the RS4, but the RS4 was always ahead. Completely different ball game with S button pressed!!!!rs41.jpg
    V6 Quatt likes this.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S321BAD View Post
    Completely different ball game with S button pressed!!!!
    Interesting... pressing the S button makes no difference to the power output, just changes the mapping of the throttle pedal and the exhaust valves.
    S321BAD likes this.
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

Reverse Gear

Status
    Sounds faster!