New Owner needs input

dbenson

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a new owner of an 07 RS4 which is great this far but I have a few quick questions I thought I would pass by you all. Any input is appreciated!

I have a fairly nasty clicking from a slow start which seems to come from my left rear rotor. This sounds like the rotor and base plate are loose but I find that hard to believe. Thoughts?

When I hard turn the steering wheel to full lock on either side I hear a slight whine, is this to be expected?

I think I need a front right wheel bearing, is this common at 50K?

So far the car is great. I am a BMW convert (e46 M3 and e39 and e28 M5), I feel all grown up and like being able to drive the car without beating on it, something I was never able to do with the M-Cars. Good thing I still own the e28!

Thanks much for your input in advance.

db

http://swingpad.com/db/RS4.JPG

Welcome to Audi-Sport.Net. Nice looking car. Where are you located? One of the guys will be along to advise you. Hope you enjoy the forum. :) x

I have a fairly nasty clicking from a slow start which seems to come from my left rear rotor.
Are you sure there isn't something like a stone stuck between the rotor and the backplate?

When I hard turn the steering wheel to full lock on either side I hear a slight whine, is this to be expected?
Yes, full lock puts a significant load on the power steering pump which makes it whine.This is totally normal.

I think I need a front right wheel bearing
What makes you think that?

Dave,

Thanks for taking the time and answering the power steering question. That is what I assumed but I wanted to ask around.

As for the Rotor/Rear Drivers side wheel clicking. This issue is very mechanical and seems to happen upto but not beyond 10MPH and usually after I have backed up. It really sounds like a two part rotor being loose but all seems fine in that department. Def not a rock. Could I have a missing rattle clip in that caliper? I would expect that to make more nose in bumpy conditions.

With regards to the wheel bearing, I am a wrench and recognize the tell-tails of a wheel bearing going with regards to the harmonic noise it usually creates. I was curious if this could just be due to milage or if they have a history of failure. Obviously the slotted rotors can elude to this sound as well but not usually at a slow steady pace without the brakes applied.

Again, thanks much for the insight.

db

As for the Rotor/Rear Drivers side wheel clicking. This issue is very mechanical and seems to happen upto but not beyond 10MPH and usually after I have backed up. It really sounds like a two part rotor being loose but all seems fine in that department. Def not a rock. Could I have a missing rattle clip in that caliper? I would expect that to make more nose in bumpy conditions.
Worth checking the rattle clip, definitely not a common problem - can't remember anyone else posting about it on the many RS sites I frequent.

With regards to the wheel bearing, I am a wrench and recognize the tell-tails of a wheel bearing going with regards to the harmonic noise it usually creates. I was curious if this could just be due to milage or if they have a history of failure. Obviously the slotted rotors can elude to this sound as well but not usually at a slow steady pace without the brakes applied.
Again not something that is a known problem, even on cars with 80k+ miles.

Hello again everyone.

I just wanted to bump this again due to both my rear calipers/Rotors making the same noise at slow speeds.

Any help would be appreciated.

db

Hey Folks,

My lack of knowledge on the RS4 is at the root of my rotor clicking issue. I did not realize the RS4 came with X-Drilled rotors OEM while my car has two piece slotted rotors. I have been unable to identify the manufacturer of the rotors but they are slotted with polished aluminum center Hubs.

Any insight is appreciated.

db

have you checked the bearings?

my C6 RS6 does this and on the rs246 forum its down to the bearing according to owners who have had the issue sorted.

All,

I got the bottom of my clicking. It seems the Air pressure sensors became free inside the tires and were hitting the rim at slow speeds, causing the nasty clanking sound I was having.

As for the breaks, it sure looks like I have JHM rotors all around which I am happy about. Any insight on which kit I have? I believe them are the OEM replacements but who knows.

Thanks,

db

FrontRotor

RearRotor