Clutch problems, I have tried to find an existing thread!

Twelfth Monkey

Reaction score
Hello to one and all.

My first post here is a problem, and any pointers or assistance greatly appreciated. My car is now out of warranty, and I have intermittent issues with the clutch. Bite point is unchanged, and there is no noise, vibration or slippage. In other words, the usual signs of wear to the clutch itself are absent. What I do have is inconsistent pressure pushing the clutch pedal out when I release it. On three occasions in about six weeks the pedal has come out about half way (enough for the clutch itself to have engaged the gear), but no further. I've been able to change gear and drive normally, and after a couple of changes it's popped out as normal. It turns out that using my toes to pull the pedal out brings it back to normal, but clearly something's not A OK.

The dealer is saying that this is how clutch wear manifests itself, but I can't help being suspicious. As I say, there are none of the 'normal' signs associated with clutch wear, and at £1,300 without a flywheel (and £2k with, although suggested probably not necessary), it's a worthwhile job for a garage in pure cash terms.

As I say, any help greatly appreciated.

12th

mate what do you drive and how many miles are on the clock ?

mate im 90 per cent sure u have a sticky thrust bearing or thrust bearing mecanism i have fixed a few cars with the same prob it was either the bearing or the arm that works the bearing.

on an rs4 id look into changing the clutch master cyl first. they are ****** cheap plastic things and the body of them starts to distort holding the pedal partially down.
s3's have a different slave cylinder/release bearing system. on an s3 id go straght to replacing this (gearbox out job).