What are recall wheels? (RS4)

sssgucci

Reaction score
Website
www.elitedetailing.co.uk
Hi,

I am contemplating buying a set of genuine RS4 wheels. But the advertisement says that they are recall wheels.

What does that mean, are they buckled or something?

thanks
G
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

If I remember correctly, when the RS4 was first built Audi made the wheels from a strange metal/plastic composite. Apparently at some time around the launch it became apparent that these wheels were not suitable at high speed; they basically split or something dodgy like that. Therefore they were recalled, and Audi reverted to traditional alloy materials. If you're after a set of RS4 wheels I'd be tempted to go for replicas, firstly they are more likely to be a bit more reliable than the recalls, and most importantly the offset will be right. Genuine RS4 wheels have an offset of ET20, as the car has a much wider track than all other A4s or A3s. My A4 (B5) has ET30 (or possibly 35) RS4 reps. I'm assuming you don't have an RS4 as you wouldn't be after a set of wheels if you did. What car do you have? Look at Rochford Tyres - they do good deals and sell possibly some of the best replicas about.

Hope this helps,

Drew.

[ QUOTE ]
scoTTy said:
Drew - that's not strictly true.

The RS4 wheels were certainly not "not suitable" for high speeds. What was found was that they could be buckled/flatspotted on smaller pot holes than would normally be the case. I've heard people quote Audi as saying they were designed to deform to some extent as it something has to give then it's cheaper for it to be a wheel rather than the suspension.

What Audi did was bring out harder wheels and give owners the choice - one time swap for hard but if you buckle them it's down to you or keep the soft ones and Audi will replace them if they deform (within certain tolerances).

If you haven't got an RS4 I wouldn't go for originals.

[/ QUOTE ]
I knew that really /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Am I right in saying they were some kind of plastic/metal compound though?

The wheels were of a softer compound the theory being that they would take the brunt of any shock and save the suspention. They are rated for the performace of the car there has never beeen an issue with the speed rating just the softness of the alloy, after many complants audi gave us a good will warranty that covers the alloys for the lifetime of the car and if you bend them more than 4mm and there is no evedence of rakeing them off curbs they will replace them free. they also gave us the option of harder alloys which some took but they only had a 2 year warranty most people stayed with the softer alloy and the life time warranty. just to repeat myself therer is no problem with thease alloys at speed just if you go into a pot hole at speed and belive me you realy have to hit the hole hard to deform the alloy i've bent 2 and and have had a few moments when i thought i've bent them but they have been fine

[ QUOTE ]
srbroon said:
The wheels were of a softer compound the theory being that they would take the brunt of any shock and save the suspention. They are rated for the performace of the car there has never beeen an issue with the speed rating just the softness of the alloy, after many complants audi gave us a good will warranty that covers the alloys for the lifetime of the car and if you bend them more than 4mm and there is no evedence of rakeing them off curbs they will replace them free. they also gave us the option of harder alloys which some took but they only had a 2 year warranty most people stayed with the softer alloy and the life time warranty. just to repeat myself therer is no problem with thease alloys at speed just if you go into a pot hole at speed and belive me you realy have to hit the hole hard to deform the alloy i've bent 2 and and have had a few moments when i thought i've bent them but they have been fine

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that not what scotty said? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif