Badger5EM Tuning
    MTM S3, Aprilia RSV Mille

Status

RS4 seems to have died

Evening all, this is a post on behalf of my old man. Went to use his B5 today, switched on the ignition lights came on but not enough power to start it (must stress this is a daily driver so hasn't been left). Anyway, wheeled it out the garage and jumped it off my car ran it for 15 mins and switched it off, then went to use it later and the same thing happened. Any idea as it just seems a bit out the blue. No warning lights up either
    S3 MTM
    RX8 - Thankfully gone
    Corolla T Sport - Gone
    Celica GT4 ST205 - Gone
    Clio 172 - Gone

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    How old is the battery ? It might need a new one and i would check if there is healthy charge from the alternator.
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

Reverse Gear

Status
    is it ok

MTM S3, Aprilia RSV Mille

Status
    Didnt get a chance to check, but jumped it off mine again and then disconnected but kept it running, and the volt gauge was hovering just under the 12v mark slightly rising when the throttles blipped
    S3 MTM
    RX8 - Thankfully gone
    Corolla T Sport - Gone
    Celica GT4 ST205 - Gone
    Clio 172 - Gone

Neutral

Status
    Sounds like the alternator might be on the way out - the voltage gauge should be reading higher than that

Audi Heaven

Status
    When running and charging the battery the alternator normally kicks out around 14 volts....
    Scott

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

colicabcadam
    based on what you have said, it'll either be an alternator or regulator/rectifier problem or wiring problem between those components.

if you charge the battery up from the mains, you'll prob be ok for a while, basically, the cars electrics are not providing enough current to run the car and charge the battery, in fact, it's actually providing less than the car uses, hence the battery goes dead after a while.

i had the same problem on my ducati 748

4th Gear

Status
    How do you check the alternator is charging the battery? I have the same problem at the moment
    For Sale
    B6 S Line Saloon rear bumper,B6 A4 Upper Grille,B6 1.9TDI catback exhaust,B6/B7 Full Piano black inlays,B6/B7 RNS E/GPS Sharkfin,B6/B7 Side airbags,B7 2.0TDI Intercooler and MAP sensor

colicabcadam
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc1 View Post
    How do you check the alternator is charging the battery? I have the same problem at the moment
    buy a multi meter such as Draper 60792 Digital Multimeter With Backlight: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

check the battery voltage when the car is not running (a good battery should read around 12.6) then check it again with the car running (it should produde around 14.6v (i do not know the exact figure)

6th Gear

Status
    After startup the battery voltage should be less than 14.5V and drop fairly rapidly as the alternator re-fills the battery.

If it stays down at 11 or 12V then the alternator isn't charging, if it's over 14.5V then the alternator regulator isn't working properly.

If the voltage drops rapidly to 11 or 12V when you turn the engine off then the battery isn't holding charge, it should stay up over 13V.
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5