RS3 is announced

jesters3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Check out this weeks AutoCar, just got mine and wow the RS3 and S3 information is in here.

RS3 = 350HP using 3.2V6 Turbo, £35k, Recaros, RS4 brakes 2006
S3 = 280HP using 3.2V6, £26k, 2006

Better keep those savings now!!!!!

It's only artistic impressions and rumours of what's going on.

During last week in the run up to this "magazine exclusive", /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif I spoke with my contact at Audi UK and was informed of the following :

Currently no such car exists.

Audi are planning on introducing an S3 but the engine/power etc are still under discussion.

Time frames for the S3 are likely to be approx 12 months from the introduction of the A3 Sportback (the name of the 5 door variant - N.B. NOT avant). This therefore seems unlikely until the end of 2005/beginning of 2006.

There are currently no plans to introduce an RS3. It is not even on the design plans that Audi UK are looking at and these run up to at least 2007. If an RS3 was to come out then, in keeping with Audi's lifecycle management plans, it would be about 2 years after the S3 i.e. 2007/8.

True, it is only artistic impressions of the RS3, but from knowing Autocar's past artistic impressions they are mostly bang on. It also looks uncannily like RizS3 photoshop he did a while ago!

However the figures quoted and such like, do make the prospect of both S3 and RS3 very real and believable. I respect your contact at Audi's view but I guess there is always some information that only a select few know about. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

They also mention about the 'RS family' and as we have all discussed before there needs to be stiff competion to go against the mini AMG and M's of this world. Therefore a RS version of the A3 would be sensisble, especially to stamp the Audi authority in the uber hatch world.

Well here's hoping anyway.

Doesn't look like an artists impression inside the magazine.

Also states new S3 is "normally aspirated" 3.2 V6, must be modified in some manner. Also features new RS3 sportback out this Autumn, also new RS4's & RS6's (500bhp).

All looked damned tasty and I want one. Anyone?

[ QUOTE ]
phils65 said:
Doesn't look like an artists impression inside the magazine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check the photo credit (bottom right of page 9).
It says: "Artist's Impressions Motor Forecast"

Nevertheless looks very nice. If it does come out in 2006 it'll be the perfect time to replace my S3 (it'll be four years old) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yes all just artist impressions at the moment.... the one ive done is on my website.

I cant wait until this car hits the roads... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

Riz /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

No contest, for that money i'll have a Cayman S or older 911 C4!!!

Then again the new TTRS looks tempting :)

You can have a new GTR for the price of one of those with a few options ticked. There's no way I'd choose the TT over that!

Isn't a focus RS better though? That's what Autocar told me :lmfao:

According to today's Autocar, the RS3 is 'go for launch' towards the end of 2012 with 335bhp, 7 speed DSG and Torque Vectoring Diff.

I'm starting to save now!!!!

By 2012 there will be a new A3 platform, the current version is already about 5 years old and the oldest in the ranges.
I reckon it will be much sooner, but there isn't currently a transverse DSG box that can handle that torque. (S4 etc DSG boxes are for inline).
Would seriously consider one but I bet after a few essential extras there will be little change out of £40k.... and I might well consider a nearly new Boxster S for that sort of money....