Manual Gearbox mode

Somniac

Reaction score
I'll probably get told that if I wanted a manual I should have bought one but ...................... Does anybody know if its possible to stop the gearbox in the RS3 from automatically changing down to first at slow speeds when in manual mode ? The RS has enough low down torque that if your still moving 2nd is more than usable in most situations. Whats annoying is it automatically shifting to first and having to shift back up to second almost immediately. If its supposed to be manual mode I like to decide when or if to shift down not have some nannying gearbox do it for me.

Only way would be a gearbox remap, my S3 s-tronic does the same..

Sounds a bit drastic. I guess I'll just have to avoid slowing down :)

Reactions: 45bvtc
only time i ever notice mine doing it is when you would be about to stall the engine, its never got in the way of driving

I think you're stuck with this one ... I doubt anything will affect the way the car downchanges to 1st. It has to do it at some stage afterall.

The only real times I notice this trait is entering roundabouts when it can occasionally change down to 1st just as I want to go !

On the plus side the RS3 box is much better than other VAG boxes (eg DSG in the Golfs) which still allow up changes (at the rev limit) and kickdown even in manual mode. Third party software can change these but I've not heard of them changing the downshifts.