• 1 Post By NHN
  • 2 Post By klauster
  • 5 Post By Mr_Freeze
  • 2 Post By voorhees

Thread: Going to improve security

Bazinga

Status

Going to improve security

Been reading about the Bucket seat thefts in the paper so I've decided to improve security, going to have the Viper smartstart system installed after i come back from Holiday by a firm in Bristol called Secure my car, I've had a lengthy conversation with Antony this morning who owns it, he has seen a big increase in thefts of / from Audi's, BMW's in recent months, the thing i like about the viper system is it integrates with the Audi Canbus system.
    2012 Misano Red RS3 / Bucket seats Heated front & Rear / Aluminium Styling Pack / Bose / RNS-E / Bluetooth / Mobile phone prep low / AMI / Reversing Sensors / LED number plate lights / Led interior light pack / VCDS / Cruise Control / Exclusive Inlays / Auto Lights & Wipers / 8.5J fronts / extended leather / Michelin Pilot super sport tyres / and a few other things

2. # ADS
    ADS

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Security film on all glass will help a shed load mate, its very hard to get into the cars via windows with this in place trust me, not overly expensive either.
    Moschops likes this.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

1st Gear

Status

Going to improve security

Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Security film on all glass will help a shed load mate, its very hard to get into the cars via windows with this in place trust me, not overly expensive either.

This

They steal the seats in situ

Best option is not to have buckets

South East Events Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hedgehog View Post
    I'd say the best option would be to go to Audi and advise them of your concern about your seats being stolen with the recent hype in the press.

Then they may be able to help add a unique watermark or invisible identification mark on the seats in relation to the VIN/Chassis the seats came from.

Finally a couple of small custom made stickers to advise of the increased security placed in the window regarding the seats being ID marked would complete deterring possible criminals.

Just a thought and a work around before spending hundreds on an after market security.
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

1st Gear

Status
    Anyone can buy smart water, but does it actually deter thieves and would it stop people buying marked seats on eBay?

5th Gear

Status
    No
    45bvtc and DAYTONA500 like this.
    www.SubZerosystems.co.uk - IT Consultancy

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hedgehog View Post
    This

They steal the seats in situ

Dave, using that logic, don't by a car in the first place. Live in a cave and don't have any personal belongings.......

That'll show the b*stards!

One of 750 RS3, Ibis White, Buckets, Privacy glass, Black styling, Cruise control, Bose, Scorpion Cat Back Non-Resonated exhaust system.

Status
    The root of the problem is people buying them second hand.
    Pentagon glass,aftermarket alarm with sensors,security lights with sensors,hidden PIR sensor with inside alarm,gates and as many other obstacles you can think of to deter the thieves.
    A 3k all singing dancing CCTV is null and void by a 2 quid balaclava from a car boot sale.
    Veneeringman and DAYTONA500 like this.

Bazinga

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Thanks Nigel I'll give that company a call.
    2012 Misano Red RS3 / Bucket seats Heated front & Rear / Aluminium Styling Pack / Bose / RNS-E / Bluetooth / Mobile phone prep low / AMI / Reversing Sensors / LED number plate lights / Led interior light pack / VCDS / Cruise Control / Exclusive Inlays / Auto Lights & Wipers / 8.5J fronts / extended leather / Michelin Pilot super sport tyres / and a few other things

2nd Gear

Status
    I would be tempted to fit the anti tamper bolts that you can only bolt in and are a nightmare to undo or even tack some weld on as hammer chisel or grinder will make a bit of noise and slow them down a fair bit.
    V8 baby... oh yeah

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavin0478 View Post
    I would be tempted to fit the anti tamper bolts that you can only bolt in
    Over on rs246 we investigated that option but since the bolts have to be high tensile ones (unless you want to risk the seat becoming loose or detached in an accident) we were unable to source anything suitable.
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

2nd Gear

Status
    How about tack welding the bolt head to the seat frame, or even filling the bolt head with weld.
    Can you get to the thread under the car or do the bolts not come right out as you could weld that end too.
    V8 baby... oh yeah

Reverse Gear

Status
    You could not tac weld under the car seat you would burn something in the car and yourself....

I would like to see somebody come up with something that could guarantee they could not be taken

I'm lucky to be able to have mine in a garage every night and I do not leave it anywhere now

When I first got it I parked it in town and when I came back there was a load of charvers standing around it taking pictures of it and looking in the windows so after that I only use secured car parks.

You could try Locktite Threadlocker but that is only really used to stop bolts vibrating loose

I cannot believe they will do this and as Voohees says a CCTV will do nothing I've got one on my house and it did not stop them trying to take the wheels off my missus A3 black edition right in front of both cameras on the front of the house they got 3 of the locking nuts off and couldn't get the 4th off otherwise they would of had the wheels off it and we never heard "anything" the only reason we realised is then I was washing it and realised the locking nuts were missing.... I am glad in a way I never caught them because I would probably be locked up now I hate thieving scum bags

Neutral

Status
    Fill the bolt heads with epoxy resin?

Reverse Gear

Status
    As others have already mentioned tack weld the seat to the frame Jack Barclay Audi have carried out this work for a number of RS3 and RS4 users so appear to have devised a way of doing this which prevents the seats being easily removed and does not set fire to the carpet.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by kwistof View Post
    I'd say the best option would be to go to Audi and advise them of your concern about your seats being stolen with the recent hype in the press.

Then they may be able to help add a unique watermark or invisible identification mark on the seats in relation to the VIN/Chassis the seats came from.

Finally a couple of small custom made stickers to advise of the increased security placed in the window regarding the seats being ID marked would complete deterring possible criminals.

Just a thought and a work around before spending hundreds on an after market security.
    You actually need to recover / find your stolen seats first though, to even get to the stage of proving they are yours.

Audi S3 8P3 / REVO Stage 1 / REVO Ceramic Intake / NGK Iridium Spark Plugs / LOBA HPFP / Philips Diamond Vision 5000k Fog Light Bulbs /
    KW V3 Coilovers / Team HEKO Wind Deflectors / Bridgestone Potenza S001 92Y Tyres / Complete LED Bulb Conversion (int' + ext') / Ashtray Delete /
    TTS Engine Cover / Alpine 928r Multimedia Station (8in screen) with integrated Bluetooth, Sat Nav etc / Ross-Tech VCDS Owner.