Volks AutosEM Tuning
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 43
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Summer tyre switchover

  1. #1
    Mr_Freeze's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Trowbridge, originally from Leeds
    Posts
    372

    Summer tyre switchover

    Have you all made the switch back to Summer Rubber?

    One of 750 RS3, Ibis White, Buckets, Privacy glass, Black styling, Cruise control, Bose, Scorpion Cat Back Non-Resonated exhaust system.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    502
    But we didn't have a Winter .

  4. #3
    Kelza's Avatar
    MODERATOR

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    2,548
    I never changed mine over ,but I'd say now or the end of March

  5. #4
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Heath Hayes
    Posts
    951
    Changed mine Saturday.
    Karls 312bhp A4 3.0 TDI build thread http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s4...ld-thread.html

  6. #5
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Mid Sussex
    Posts
    34
    Changed the A5 ones on Sunday and will do the Golf's this weekend.
    Audi A5 Sportback Quattro 2.0TDI 177 S - tronic Black Edition
    Golf MK6 R -Wife's and Weekend Fun
    ___________________________________
    The gone List
    Audi TT TDI Black Edition
    Audi 8P S3
    Golf Mk6 160 GT TSI, Golf MK5 R32, Golf Mk5 GTI, Golf MK4 Gti,
    Golf Mk3 VR6 (x2), Golf Mk2 Gti 8v (x3) Golf Mk2 16v (x2)
    Plus an Integrale, Porsche 911SC, E30 BMW M3 (x2), Renault Alpine GTA, Renault 5 Turbo (x3) Astra GTE (x2)

  7. #6
    monkeyboy_marcus's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    275
    Back to MPSS summer rubber end-Feb...

  8. #7
    Dave Hedgehog's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    274
    i have not used mine this year, only had to scrape ice of my car 3 times this winter so far

  9. #8
    KKM
    KKM's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    89
    I'm due to change back to Summer rubber before the end of the month....

    the big question is, which summer rubber should I get and what size? 235/35 front...?
    RS3 Suzuka Grey - Black optic pack

  10. #9
    Phil-1's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Harrogate
    Posts
    1,094
    Changed mine last week.
    Audi A3 8P Sport Back 170BHP (And I Love it)

    web page: philseagust.co.uk
    E-Mail:info@philseagust.co.uk

  11. #10
    dbm
    dbm's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Preston, Lancs
    Posts
    514
    Switched back a couple of weeks who here too. Soooo good to have the F1s on again.
    RS3 | TTS | A3 3.2Q | S3(8L)

  12. #11
    45bvtc's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    1,295
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Freeze View Post
    Have you all made the switch back to Summer Rubber?
    It's all about temperature and useage, Neil.

    If your road use is primarily daytime where ambient temperatures are generally ABOVE 7ºC then summer tyres are for you.

    However, if your primary use is late night/early morning where temperatures are generally BELOW 7ºC then 'winter' tyres are the ones you should be using.

    Get over this winter/summer label stuff; it's temperature!

    Tyre compounds react more to ambient temperature than calendar months.

    Last edited by 45bvtc; 11th March 2014 at 17:21.

  13. #12
    Veneeringman's Avatar
    Bazinga

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Back in the UK
    Posts
    642
    Switched 'em back on the RS3, however the Renault Master van we have still on winter rubber(sooo busy at the moment)
    2012 Misano Red RS3 / Bucket seats Heated front & Rear / Aluminium Styling Pack / Bose / RNS-E / Bluetooth / Mobile phone prep low / AMI / Reversing Sensors / LED number plate lights / Led interior light pack / VCDS / Cruise Control / Exclusive Inlays / Auto Lights & Wipers / 8.5J fronts / extended leather / Michelin Pilot super sport tyres / and a few other things

  14. #13
    45bvtc's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    1,295
    From Telegraph Motoring, Saturday 8th March 2014

    Those assured of the benefit of winter tyres (as I am!) will find this illuminating, while those not convinced, won't!

    "In Germany, all road vehicles have to be fitted with winter tyres when conditions warrant it. Otherwise, you have to park up until conditions improve. If you had a crash in wintery conditions when driving on summer tyres, you would be blamed and would earn a traffic conviction as well as total responsibility for the crash. From November to March, it's illegal to drive on summer tyres in Latvia, Finland, Sweden, Norway, Austria, Switzerland, Bulgaria, and Northern Italy."

    Honest John (whoever he is...)

    Mr_Freeze and DAYTONA500 like this.

  15. #14
    ElliotB's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Aylesbury
    Posts
    131
    Switched to Nokian zLine last week

  16. #15
    KKM
    KKM's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    89
    I'm due to go back on to my summer rubber in the next week or so....

    however, I'm getting slight vibration sometimes at high speeds (80ish) and also under normal braking....

    What could be the problem?

    Tracking out? wheel balance? or dodgy brakes? (I've had the brake replacement done already)

    cheers

    Kev
    RS3 Suzuka Grey - Black optic pack

  17. #16
    45bvtc's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    1,295
    Quote Originally Posted by KKM View Post
    I'm due to go back on to my summer rubber in the next week or so....

    however, I'm getting slight vibration sometimes at high speeds (80ish) and also under normal braking....

    What could be the problem?

    Tracking out? wheel balance? or dodgy brakes? (I've had the brake replacement done already)

    cheers

    Kev
    1) Tracking out? NO!

    2) Wheel balance? Maybe...

    3) Dodgy brakes? Hmmm!

    If you've a slight vibration at high speed with zero brake application Kev then it ain't a brake issue (whether you have an RS3 or where others seem to be going an RS4 but still ignorantly castigating the RS3, tsk!) so balance is favourite, and at 70-80mph then that's the road-speed where you'd experience it most...

    However... try running/driving at the speed where 'vibration' is felt and then:

    a) Feather the brake pedal with the left foot and monitor any change, and/or

    b) Slightly load the handbrake and monitor the same.

    If no deviation in vibration is experienced then you need to find someone who knows how to balance wheels, and that's not necessarily someone with a supa-dupa machine (as promoted by others) and get them to check/re-balance your wheels.

    As said before, I have my wheel and tyre assemblies balanced by a local guy in the back of his van using relatively simplistic equipment, the difference being that he knows what he's doing...
    KKM, Veneeringman and DAYTONA500 like this.

  18. #17
    45bvtc's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    1,295
    Another thought Kev: if you've 235's front and rear then swap 'em over back to front - adjusting pressures obviously.

    I did this recently on a balance-problem RS3 with a newly fitted set of Goodyear F1's and the difference in balance front-to-rear was dramatic; so back to the supa-dupa balancing machine this particular RS3 went, and I believe went again as the operator still needed the practice with his supa-dupa balancing machine.

    And it took the owner several hours to remove the mass of surplus balance weight sticky-tape from the inside of rims, but all was well, eventually...
    Veneeringman and DAYTONA500 like this.

  19. #18
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    123
    Changed to summer wheels week ago.

  20. #19
    KKM
    KKM's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by 45bvtc View Post
    1) Tracking out? NO!

    2) Wheel balance? Maybe...

    3) Dodgy brakes? Hmmm!

    If you've a slight vibration at high speed with zero brake application Kev then it ain't a brake issue (whether you have an RS3 or where others seem to be going an RS4 but still ignorantly castigating the RS3, tsk!) so balance is favourite, and at 70-80mph then that's the road-speed where you'd experience it most...

    However... try running/driving at the speed where 'vibration' is felt and then:

    a) Feather the brake pedal with the left foot and monitor any change, and/or

    b) Slightly load the handbrake and monitor the same.

    If no deviation in vibration is experienced then you need to find someone who knows how to balance wheels, and that's not necessarily someone with a supa-dupa machine (as promoted by others) and get them to check/re-balance your wheels.

    As said before, I have my wheel and tyre assemblies balanced by a local guy in the back of his van using relatively simplistic equipment, the difference being that he knows what he's doing...

    cheers for the info....

    I didn't suspect it was the brakes, but just trying to eliminate things so I can rule out the brakes if and when I get my summers fitted.

    Since first contacting Audi to get them to order my summer tyres (discounted direct from Conti) its going to be a week until they 'have space' to get them swapped over. To swap over 4 tyres??

    If the vibration / slight wobble goes after the winters are off, then I will be happy. Proving, as you suggest a balancing issue.

    cheers
    45bvtc and DAYTONA500 like this.
    RS3 Suzuka Grey - Black optic pack

  21. #20
    Veneeringman's Avatar
    Bazinga

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Back in the UK
    Posts
    642
    Hmmm..... Interesting

    I noticed a slight vibration at 75-80 with my winters on, put it down to the fact that the balancing was out... Had it confirmed when I put the summers back on.

    I cannot see it being anything to do with brakes as that would only happen when they are being applied....

    The only thing is if the discs are out of balance maybe (although I find it hard to believe these discs would get by the stringent checks) this would be felt as a slight vibration at certain speeds as the discs are still a rotational mass ???
    45bvtc likes this.
    2012 Misano Red RS3 / Bucket seats Heated front & Rear / Aluminium Styling Pack / Bose / RNS-E / Bluetooth / Mobile phone prep low / AMI / Reversing Sensors / LED number plate lights / Led interior light pack / VCDS / Cruise Control / Exclusive Inlays / Auto Lights & Wipers / 8.5J fronts / extended leather / Michelin Pilot super sport tyres / and a few other things

  22. #21
    JonnyG's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    218
    Yeah ... most likely the balancing.

    I had similar problems on previous alloys ... it took four goes to balance them !!

    I put my Summer tyres/wheels back on last weekend and I now have a slight vibration at speed.

    My local Costco do a very good wheel balance ... I will have to pay them a visit methinks
    45bvtc likes this.
    Audi RS3 in Daytona Grey, 7sp S-Tronic, Sept 2012

  23. #22
    KKM
    KKM's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyG View Post
    Yeah ... most likely the balancing.

    I had similar problems on previous alloys ... it took four goes to balance them !!

    I put my Summer tyres/wheels back on last weekend and I now have a slight vibration at speed.

    My local Costco do a very good wheel balance ... I will have to pay them a visit methinks
    Higher speeds (70mph plus) and also under normal braking...... Hoping that Aberdeen Audi can sort things out tomorrow when the winters get taken off and summers fitted.

    cheers
    45bvtc likes this.
    RS3 Suzuka Grey - Black optic pack

  24. #23
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    502
    People are switching to summer tyres but most places are experiencing their coldest temperatures since November
    45bvtc likes this.

  25. #24
    KKM
    KKM's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazwould View Post
    People are switching to summer tyres but most places are experiencing their coldest temperatures since November
    haha yeah, pulled out the garage today.... minus 2.
    45bvtc likes this.
    RS3 Suzuka Grey - Black optic pack

  26. #25
    45bvtc's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    1,295
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazwould View Post
    People are switching to summer tyres but most places are experiencing their coldest temperatures since November
    Well-said Gazwould, and KKM @ "-2ºC this morning", ouch!
    DAYTONA500 likes this.

  27. #26
    Veneeringman's Avatar
    Bazinga

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Back in the UK
    Posts
    642
    Freezing here in New York as well !!
    Now on the Amtrak to Washington where there is snow apparently.
    2012 Misano Red RS3 / Bucket seats Heated front & Rear / Aluminium Styling Pack / Bose / RNS-E / Bluetooth / Mobile phone prep low / AMI / Reversing Sensors / LED number plate lights / Led interior light pack / VCDS / Cruise Control / Exclusive Inlays / Auto Lights & Wipers / 8.5J fronts / extended leather / Michelin Pilot super sport tyres / and a few other things

  28. #27
    45bvtc's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    1,295
    Quote Originally Posted by Veneeringman View Post
    Freezing here in New York as well !!
    Now on the Amtrak to Washington where there is snow apparently.
    Enjoy Sean. Check out the rubber those guys are wearing...
    DAYTONA500 likes this.

  29. #28
    DAYTONA500's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    In a world of my own.
    Posts
    451
    Quote Originally Posted by 45bvtc View Post
    Enjoy Sean. Check out the rubber those guys are wearing...
    This goes to show that choosing the correct rubber stops you from slipping.

  30. #29
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    East Kilbride
    Posts
    343
    Don't change mine back until April.

  31. #30
    45bvtc's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    1,295
    Like the ENZO owner said last weekend (DK Engineering's open day), these carbon brakes are amazingly good but with summer tyres in March then it's best NOT to apply them too strong; same goes with the accelerator pedal too, just ZERO grip.

    EXPENSIVE, FAST cars, with GREAT brakes, but definitely on the WRONG tyres for March...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    kwistof likes this.

  32. #31
    Veneeringman's Avatar
    Bazinga

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Back in the UK
    Posts
    642
    Quote Originally Posted by 45bvtc View Post
    Enjoy Sean. Check out the rubber those guys are wearing...
    Most are normal tyres John, we did spot a S-Line A3 in Washington on Wednesday and that had Goodyear winters on it as well as those awful Amber lights on the side of the bumbler near the wheels.
    45bvtc likes this.
    2012 Misano Red RS3 / Bucket seats Heated front & Rear / Aluminium Styling Pack / Bose / RNS-E / Bluetooth / Mobile phone prep low / AMI / Reversing Sensors / LED number plate lights / Led interior light pack / VCDS / Cruise Control / Exclusive Inlays / Auto Lights & Wipers / 8.5J fronts / extended leather / Michelin Pilot super sport tyres / and a few other things

  33. #32
    Mr_Freeze's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Trowbridge, originally from Leeds
    Posts
    372
    Summer is here, the rubber is ON.
    Bring on the glorious long evenings!
    KKM, Kelza, 45bvtc and 2 others like this.

    One of 750 RS3, Ibis White, Buckets, Privacy glass, Black styling, Cruise control, Bose, Scorpion Cat Back Non-Resonated exhaust system.

  34. #33
    monkeyboy_marcus's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    275
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazwould View Post
    People are switching to summer tyres but most places are experiencing their coldest temperatures since November
    I switched end-Feb due to one of the winter tyres blowing, so made most sense to change the entire set, otherwise I'd have left it till end-March.

  35. #34
    KKM
    KKM's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by KKM View Post
    Higher speeds (70mph plus) and also under normal braking...... Hoping that Aberdeen Audi can sort things out tomorrow when the winters get taken off and summers fitted.

    cheers
    Summer rubber on by Aberdeen Audi.... still getting vibration / slight feedback via the steering wheel at higher speeds and under braking sporadically... thoughts please?

    This is really starting to grind me down now. Answers on a Postcard....
    RS3 Suzuka Grey - Black optic pack

  36. #35
    45bvtc's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    1,295
    Quote Originally Posted by KKM View Post
    Summer rubber on by Aberdeen Audi.... still getting vibration / slight feedback via the steering wheel at higher speeds and under braking sporadically... thoughts please?

    This is really starting to grind me down now. Answers on a Postcard....
    If the characteristics of the vibration were EXACTLY the same Kev then I'd say it'll not be wheel/tyre vibration and I'd be straight back to Aberdeen Audi and take an Audi technician out for a 70mph run.

    However, if the characteristics are similar but NOT exactly the same then I'd be looking to have an independent and knowledgeable skilled tyre fitter to check my wheels and tyres and re-balance the wheel/tyre assemblies.

    Remember, vibration can emanate from both the front and back of the vehicle and sometimes it's source, though felt through the steering wheel, can be difficult to pinpoint.
    Veneeringman and DAYTONA500 like this.

  37. #36
    KKM
    KKM's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by 45bvtc View Post
    If the characteristics of the vibration were EXACTLY the same Kev then I'd say it'll not be wheel/tyre vibration and I'd be straight back to Aberdeen Audi and take an Audi technician out for a 70mph run.

    However, if the characteristics are similar but NOT exactly the same then I'd be looking to have an independent and knowledgeable skilled tyre fitter to check my wheels and tyres and re-balance the wheel/tyre assemblies.

    Remember, vibration can emanate from both the front and back of the vehicle and sometimes it's source, though felt through the steering wheel, can be difficult to pinpoint.

    I would hazard a guess to say it has remained the same. The improved ride has definitely helped with the summer tyres (winters were too warm and was like driving on jelly) but the vibrations are still there.

    Why is everything such a hassle
    RS3 Suzuka Grey - Black optic pack

  38. #37
    45bvtc's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    1,295
    Quote Originally Posted by KKM View Post
    Why is everything such a hassle
    It's LIFE Kev, how boring it would be if everything were 100% all the time...

  39. #38
    DAYTONA500's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    In a world of my own.
    Posts
    451
    Quote Originally Posted by 45bvtc View Post
    If the characteristics of the vibration were EXACTLY the same Kev then I'd say it'll not be wheel/tyre vibration and I'd be straight back to Aberdeen Audi and take an Audi technician out for a 70mph run.

    However, if the characteristics are similar but NOT exactly the same then I'd be looking to have an independent and knowledgeable skilled tyre fitter to check my wheels and tyres and re-balance the wheel/tyre assemblies.

    Remember, vibration can emanate from both the front and back of the vehicle and sometimes it's source, though felt through the steering wheel, can be difficult to pinpoint.
    Just to add to this were each wheel put back on in exactly the same corner that they were removed from ?.

  40. #39
    45bvtc's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    1,295
    Quote Originally Posted by KKM View Post
    Why is everything such a hassle
    Question Kev, can you drive through this vibration period (of 65-75mph)?

    How is it at 90mph? Better or worse?

    Sorry for asking, of course

  41. #40
    KKM
    KKM's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by 45bvtc View Post
    Question Kev, can you drive through this vibration period (of 65-75mph)?

    How is it at 90mph? Better or worse?

    Sorry for asking, of course
    Yes I can, but the thing that confuses me is that its so sporadic. Sometimes I think its gone, then the next time its really bad.

    Speed wobble at 80 + then under braking. I haven't been back to Aberdeen Audi yet as I haven't had time.
    RS3 Suzuka Grey - Black optic pack

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Whoooohooooooooo Summer tyre time!
    By Molnboman in forum Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12th April 2013, 14:26
  2. How to successful change from winter tyres to summer tyres
    By rezulteo in forum General Automotive Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27th March 2013, 17:51
  3. Summer tyres for better comfort
    By Red-Eye in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20th January 2012, 16:22
  4. How to store your Audi's summer tyres
    By rezulteo in forum General Automotive Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16th November 2011, 14:34
  5. Winter Tyres; Summer Tyres. Should I bother and why?
    By The Maestro in forum General Automotive Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 26th April 2010, 22:40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO