Summer tyre switchover

I never changed mine over ,but I'd say now or the end of March ;)

i have not used mine this year, only had to scrape ice of my car 3 times this winter so far

I'm due to change back to Summer rubber before the end of the month....

the big question is, which summer rubber should I get and what size? 235/35 front...?

Have you all made the switch back to Summer Rubber?

It's all about temperature and useage, Neil.

If your road use is primarily daytime where ambient temperatures are generally ABOVE 7ºC then summer tyres are for you.

However, if your primary use is late night/early morning where temperatures are generally BELOW 7ºC then 'winter' tyres are the ones you should be using.

Get over this winter/summer label stuff; it's temperature!

Tyre compounds react more to ambient temperature than calendar months.

Last edited:
Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus, Audi Dynamik, DAYTONA 500 and 2 others
Switched 'em back on the RS3, however the Renault Master van we have still on winter rubber(sooo busy at the moment)

From Telegraph Motoring, Saturday 8th March 2014

Those assured of the benefit of winter tyres (as I am!) will find this illuminating, while those not convinced, won't!

"In Germany, all road vehicles have to be fitted with winter tyres when conditions warrant it. Otherwise, you have to park up until conditions improve. If you had a crash in wintery conditions when driving on summer tyres, you would be blamed and would earn a traffic conviction as well as total responsibility for the crash. From November to March, it's illegal to drive on summer tyres in Latvia, Finland, Sweden, Norway, Austria, Switzerland, Bulgaria, and Northern Italy."

Honest John (whoever he is...)

Reactions: DAYTONA 500 and Mr_Freeze
I'm due to go back on to my summer rubber in the next week or so....

however, I'm getting slight vibration sometimes at high speeds (80ish) and also under normal braking....

What could be the problem?

Tracking out? wheel balance? or dodgy brakes? (I've had the brake replacement done already)

cheers

Kev

I'm due to go back on to my summer rubber in the next week or so....

however, I'm getting slight vibration sometimes at high speeds (80ish) and also under normal braking....

What could be the problem?

Tracking out? wheel balance? or dodgy brakes? (I've had the brake replacement done already)

cheers

Kev

1) Tracking out? NO!

2) Wheel balance? Maybe...

3) Dodgy brakes? Hmmm!

If you've a slight vibration at high speed with zero brake application Kev then it ain't a brake issue (whether you have an RS3 or where others seem to be going an RS4 but still ignorantly castigating the RS3, tsk!) so balance is favourite, and at 70-80mph then that's the road-speed where you'd experience it most...

However... try running/driving at the speed where 'vibration' is felt and then:

a) Feather the brake pedal with the left foot and monitor any change, and/or

b) Slightly load the handbrake and monitor the same.

If no deviation in vibration is experienced then you need to find someone who knows how to balance wheels, and that's not necessarily someone with a supa-dupa machine (as promoted by others) and get them to check/re-balance your wheels.

As said before, I have my wheel and tyre assemblies balanced by a local guy in the back of his van using relatively simplistic equipment, the difference being that he knows what he's doing...

Reactions: KKM, T-800 and DAYTONA 500
Another thought Kev: if you've 235's front and rear then swap 'em over back to front - adjusting pressures obviously.

I did this recently on a balance-problem RS3 with a newly fitted set of Goodyear F1's and the difference in balance front-to-rear was dramatic; so back to the supa-dupa balancing machine this particular RS3 went, and I believe went again as the operator still needed the practice with his supa-dupa balancing machine.

And it took the owner several hours to remove the mass of surplus balance weight sticky-tape from the inside of rims, but all was well, eventually...

Reactions: T-800 and DAYTONA 500
1) Tracking out? NO!

2) Wheel balance? Maybe...

3) Dodgy brakes? Hmmm!

If you've a slight vibration at high speed with zero brake application Kev then it ain't a brake issue (whether you have an RS3 or where others seem to be going an RS4 but still ignorantly castigating the RS3, tsk!) so balance is favourite, and at 70-80mph then that's the road-speed where you'd experience it most...

However... try running/driving at the speed where 'vibration' is felt and then:

a) Feather the brake pedal with the left foot and monitor any change, and/or

b) Slightly load the handbrake and monitor the same.

If no deviation in vibration is experienced then you need to find someone who knows how to balance wheels, and that's not necessarily someone with a supa-dupa machine (as promoted by others) and get them to check/re-balance your wheels.

As said before, I have my wheel and tyre assemblies balanced by a local guy in the back of his van using relatively simplistic equipment, the difference being that he knows what he's doing...

cheers for the info....

I didn't suspect it was the brakes, but just trying to eliminate things so I can rule out the brakes if and when I get my summers fitted.

Since first contacting Audi to get them to order my summer tyres (discounted direct from Conti) its going to be a week until they 'have space' to get them swapped over. To swap over 4 tyres?? :shrug:

If the vibration / slight wobble goes after the winters are off, then I will be happy. Proving, as you suggest a balancing issue.

cheers

Reactions: DAYTONA 500 and 45bvtc
Hmmm..... Interesting

I noticed a slight vibration at 75-80 with my winters on, put it down to the fact that the balancing was out... Had it confirmed when I put the summers back on.

I cannot see it being anything to do with brakes as that would only happen when they are being applied....

The only thing is if the discs are out of balance maybe (although I find it hard to believe these discs would get by the stringent checks) this would be felt as a slight vibration at certain speeds as the discs are still a rotational mass ???

Reactions: 45bvtc
Yeah ... most likely the balancing.

I had similar problems on previous alloys ... it took four goes to balance them !!

I put my Summer tyres/wheels back on last weekend and I now have a slight vibration at speed.

My local Costco do a very good wheel balance ... I will have to pay them a visit methinks :sm4:

Yeah ... most likely the balancing.

I had similar problems on previous alloys ... it took four goes to balance them !!

I put my Summer tyres/wheels back on last weekend and I now have a slight vibration at speed.

My local Costco do a very good wheel balance ... I will have to pay them a visit methinks :sm4:

Higher speeds (70mph plus) and also under normal braking...... Hoping that Aberdeen Audi can sort things out tomorrow when the winters get taken off and summers fitted.

cheers

People are switching to summer tyres but most places are experiencing their coldest temperatures since November :think:

People are switching to summer tyres but most places are experiencing their coldest temperatures since November :think:

haha yeah, pulled out the garage today.... minus 2. :shrug:

Well-said Gazwould, and KKM @ "-2ºC this morning", ouch! :cold:

Reactions: DAYTONA 500
Freezing here in New York as well !!
Now on the Amtrak to Washington where there is snow apparently.

Enjoy Sean. Check out the rubber those guys are wearing...

This goes to show that choosing the correct rubber stops you from slipping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus, T-800 and 45bvtc
Like the ENZO owner said last weekend (DK Engineering's open day), these carbon brakes are amazingly good but with summer tyres in March then it's best NOT to apply them too strong; same goes with the accelerator pedal too, just ZERO grip.

EXPENSIVE, FAST cars, with GREAT brakes, but definitely on the WRONG tyres for March...

Attachments

• DSCF0135x.jpg
    DSCF0135x.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 220
Reactions: kwistof
Enjoy Sean. Check out the rubber those guys are wearing...

Most are normal tyres John, we did spot a S-Line A3 in Washington on Wednesday and that had Goodyear winters on it as well as those awful Amber lights on the side of the bumbler near the wheels. :puke2:

I switched end-Feb due to one of the winter tyres blowing, so made most sense to change the entire set, otherwise I'd have left it till end-March.

Higher speeds (70mph plus) and also under normal braking...... Hoping that Aberdeen Audi can sort things out tomorrow when the winters get taken off and summers fitted.

cheers

Summer rubber on by Aberdeen Audi.... still getting vibration / slight feedback via the steering wheel at higher speeds and under braking sporadically... thoughts please?

This is really starting to grind me down now. Answers on a Postcard....

Summer rubber on by Aberdeen Audi.... still getting vibration / slight feedback via the steering wheel at higher speeds and under braking sporadically... thoughts please?

This is really starting to grind me down now. Answers on a Postcard....

If the characteristics of the vibration were EXACTLY the same Kev then I'd say it'll not be wheel/tyre vibration and I'd be straight back to Aberdeen Audi and take an Audi technician out for a 70mph run.

However, if the characteristics are similar but NOT exactly the same then I'd be looking to have an independent and knowledgeable skilled tyre fitter to check my wheels and tyres and re-balance the wheel/tyre assemblies.

Remember, vibration can emanate from both the front and back of the vehicle and sometimes it's source, though felt through the steering wheel, can be difficult to pinpoint.

Reactions: T-800 and DAYTONA 500
If the characteristics of the vibration were EXACTLY the same Kev then I'd say it'll not be wheel/tyre vibration and I'd be straight back to Aberdeen Audi and take an Audi technician out for a 70mph run.

However, if the characteristics are similar but NOT exactly the same then I'd be looking to have an independent and knowledgeable skilled tyre fitter to check my wheels and tyres and re-balance the wheel/tyre assemblies.

Remember, vibration can emanate from both the front and back of the vehicle and sometimes it's source, though felt through the steering wheel, can be difficult to pinpoint.

I would hazard a guess to say it has remained the same. The improved ride has definitely helped with the summer tyres (winters were too warm and was like driving on jelly) but the vibrations are still there.

Why is everything such a hassle

It's LIFE Kev, how boring it would be if everything were 100% all the time... :think:

Reactions: KKM, Mr_Freeze, T-800 and 1 other person

Just to add to this were each wheel put back on in exactly the same corner that they were removed from ?.

Question Kev, can you drive through this vibration period (of 65-75mph)?

How is it at :superman: 90mph? Better or worse?

Sorry for asking, of course :lmfao:

Question Kev, can you drive through this vibration period (of 65-75mph)?

How is it at :superman: 90mph? Better or worse?

Sorry for asking, of course :lmfao:

Yes I can, but the thing that confuses me is that its so sporadic. Sometimes I think its gone, then the next time its really bad.

Speed wobble at 80 + then under braking. I haven't been back to Aberdeen Audi yet as I haven't had time.