Michelin Pilot Super Sports or Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 - Thoughts?

MB RS3

Reaction score
Hi All,

It's all in the title really. Looking at a set of new tyres (235 all round) and have narrowed it down to the above.

I have read MBK's thorougher review on the MPSS (great read Mark) and have also read on other RS3 related forum's and various car magazines about the Good Year' Asy F1's.

Are the MPSS worth the extra £115.68 over the Good Years? - Please note: I won't be tracking the car, just want the best all round tyre!

Blackcircles.com currently:

4 x Michelin Pilot Super Sports 235/35/R19's
@ 850.08 fitted, with triple Tesco clubcard points.

4 x Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 235/35/R19's @ 734.40 fitted, with triple Tesco clubcard points.

Look forward to people's thoughts on the above.

Thanks for your time,

Mal

As i don't track the car I went with the 235 Goodyears all round 3 months ago and am more than happy with them,the michelins are supposed to be better on the track its just a matter of personal choice.

Reactions: 45bvtc
Can't help you Mal, I'm so exhausted talking those black round rubbery things...

I'm still on my original Continentals with ZERO issues; I may even replace my original Conti's with Conti's.

But I'm currently on Vredesteins, winter time rubber and all that.

However, other RS3 owners are on 'X', 'Y', and 'Z' summer rubber and are 100% happy on whatever they now have...

Goodyear F1s at £115.68 less than Pilots, I'd go for those...

Reactions: Gazwould, MB RS3, monkeyboy_marcus and 1 other person
I have goodyears and they are spot on

Thanks for the comments, appreciated.

As you're not going on track I agree with Ben and Nick has to be the Goodyears, great tyre at an outstanding price. MPSS only have the advantage on track with the tyre designed to withstand the cornering forces.

Either are a great choice and you will be happy with the extra feedback and performance.

Reactions: 45bvtc and DAYTONA 500
As i don't track the car I went with the 235 Goodyears all round 3 months ago and am more than happy with them,the michelins are supposed to be better on the track its just a matter of personal choice.

Thanks for the feedback mate. Do they feel better than the Conti's? More bite on corner entry etc?

Can't help you Mal, I'm so exhausted talking those black round rubbery things...

I'm still on my original Continentals with ZERO issues; I may even replace my original Conti's with Conti's.

But I'm currently on Vredesteins, winter time rubber and all that.

However, other RS3 owners are on 'X', 'Y', and 'Z' summer rubber and are 100% happy on whatever they now have...

Goodyear F1s at £115.68 less than Pilots, I'd go for those...

I think im leaning towards the Goodyears tbh John. Having read reviews and people's views they seem to be a very capable tyre especially for the price.

Plus the £115.68 saved can go towards the Secondary Cat Bypass Pipes :eyebrows:... like my thinking lol?

Last edited:
Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus, Kelza and 45bvtc
Thanks for the comments, appreciated.

As you're not going on track I agree with Ben and Nick has to be the Goodyears, great tyre at an outstanding price. MPSS only have the advantage on track with the tyre designed to withstand the cornering forces.

Either are a great choice and you will be happy with the extra feedback and performance.

Pleasure Mark.

Yeah im thinking along those lines more so now mate, as im not tracking the car, the Goodyears will most probably be adequete even for some "Spiritied" road use... think you get my drift lol! Sure there be alright for a few 1/4 mile runs @ Santa Pod in the Summer too?

Reactions: MBK
I changed from the good years to the michelins and prefer the Michelin. It's hard to directly compare worn out eagles with brand new pilot sports but I just felt the wet handling was better on the michelins. In the dry, there was nothing in it. For £120 saving, I'd probably stick with the good years but in my size, the price was almost the same

I changed from the good years to the michelins and prefer the Michelin. It's hard to directly compare worn out eagles with brand new pilot sports but I just felt the wet handling was better on the michelins. In the dry, there was nothing in it. For £120 saving, I'd probably stick with the good years but in my size, the price was almost the same

Thanks for that, always good to hear from people who have experienced both tyres. I think overall the Goodyears are the better option for me, unless someone can convince me that the MPSS are a MUST lol!

MPSS are only a must for track work, I've never know a tyre wall/shoulder stand up so well to track work. Even the likes of R888 / Yoko A048 suffered at the edges. The trade off is slightly more on road feedback and feel through the wheel and seat with the MPSS but that is what I wanted. Horses for courses and all that, I'd say go F1s and you'll be happy. You've read what other owners say about the F1s and evo magazine raved about them on their RS4 long termer.

Reactions: MB RS3, DAYTONA 500 and T-800
Hi Mal,
I have had both tires. Both are really amazing tyres although michelins are a bit better on grip, you can notice the difference but assymetrics are also amazingly good although they don reach the edge of the michelins. If you are a person that is frequently going to the limits of the car and dont mind having a bit more noise, pay the extra and go for michelin. If otherwise go for the goodyears and save the extra cash.

Reactions: MB RS3
Ended up getting the MPSS fitted Friday just gone, the price had dropped a fair bit to approx £770 all in so thought why not go for it over the Goodyears.

Now, the difference over the standard Conti's is silly (Conti's still had plenty of tread on them btw)... i couldn't honestly imagine it would make such a difference but to be brutally honest its night and day. The initial bite and turn in is so much better, it just feels SO much more grippy all round. The tendency to understeer is greatly reduced just by fitting some good quality tyres.

Now i know some people will stick with the original Conti's, each to their own, but i urge you to seriously consider your next choice wisely when needing to change tyres as these are miles better as im sure the Goodyear F1's are too.

Why oh why did Audi not fit these or better tyres initially, is beyond me, makes a HUGE difference.

Reactions: kwistof, monkeyboy_marcus, DAYTONA 500 and 2 others
I also have mpss and there the best tyre by far and my mate is getting R888 to try and keep the traction down when on stage 2 revo ,stage 3 next for him :)

I have F1's going on this week, Ive stuck to the standard sizes. Anyone want to buy two rear continentals, only 8000 miles on them

i will go for the MPSS, got a few k left on my conti's but i do not think i can put up with them much longer

i will go for the MPSS, got a few k left on my conti's but i do not think i can put up with them much longer

You won't be disappointed mate, they honestly feel very reassuring.

For me it's not that the Conti's were overly bad its just the MPSS are very good.

I also have mpss and there the best tyre by far and my mate is getting R888 to try and keep the traction down when on stage 2 revo ,stage 3 next for him :)

Cracking Tyres :thumbsup:

Stage 3! Is that on another RS3?

Cracking Tyres :thumbsup:

Stage 3! Is that on another RS3?

Hi mate yeah it's on a rs3 :) :rock: Plus statllers have a golfrs3 on stage 3 going to stage 4 (full engine rebuild ) out very soon :)

You won't be disappointed mate, they honestly feel very reassuring.

For me it's not that the Conti's were overly bad its just the MPSS are very good.

the conti's are the worst performance tyre i have ever had on a road car, even from new, as soon as its cold or wet the fronts just spin uncontrollable and bends that my R32 has no issues on at 60 WOT the contis will fire the front of the car off the road as thou you are on ice if you so much as put 1mm of pressure on the throttle at 50...

Hi guys. I soon need all my tyres changing and seeing this has made my mind up on witch tyres to choose ;) do you all stick with the standard sizes?

My RS has done 9k miles still on original back cons that have 3mm left. The fronts cons have been changed twice!! Already Both times worn out on the inside even to the thread! Wtf 2 sets in 9k miles. All I do is drive to work and back!! Was last changed 3 months ago and already down to 4m :(

Hoping once change to pilots they won't wear down as quick! ;)

That I'm afraid is the problem with the Conti's kilojade, if you like to get a shuffle on they are worn out before you know it. I think CarrG was also getting through front tyres at the rate of a set every 4500 miles or so. Michelin Pilot Super Sports will last well if you are heavy footed, a much better wearing tyre. Even with a couple of track days you should see 10-12K miles for a set of fronts and many many miles for the rears.

Many thanks for reply mate. Gutted I didn't just change then for pilots at the 1st change lol....does everyone stick with the standard sizes? Ie fronts being wider than back?

I ran 235 all round for the second set, again much more secure in the wet. Maybe, just maybe a fraction less turn in response on a dry track.

2012 Sport Auto Summer Tyre Test - TyreReviews

1st: Pirelli P Zero
Total: 230 / Dry: 139 / Wet: 91
Overall: Sensitive steering, but also very agile and very neutral on the limit - this is the Pirelli P Zero on both wet and dry surfaces. Couple that with extremely strong braking, the P Zero wins the test.

The only negative of the P Zero is a slightly weak aquaplaning and wear result.

2nd: Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2
Total: 223 / Dry: 126 / Wet: 97
Overall: In wet conditions, the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 a force to be reckoned with, scoring full points in almost all of the tests. In the dry, it's not quite the quickest tyre, however it has an excellent neutral balance on the limit.

4th: Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Total: 220 / Dry: 143 / Wet: 77
Overall: In the dry, the Michelin Pilot Super Sport is the benchmark, characterised by a quick, very precise turn in and excellent lateral grip.

Unsurprisingly for a dry optimised tyre, the Super Sport only manages an average wet performance with a particular weakness in the aquaplaning tests

Personal requirements

With the top four tyres final score being so close, personal requirements becomes ever more important. If you’re looking for an excellent all round performance, this test would indicate the P Zero is a good bet. If you’re looking for the safest tyre on test, the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 with its excellent wet scoring would be the tyre to look at, and if you’re after the ultimate handling and dry weather performance, the Michelin Pilot Super Sport is the one for you.

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus, dbm, Gazwould and 1 other person
Cheers Karl.

Looking at that I'd go for the Goodyear as they are the strongest in the weakest area, the wet , not that we get a lot of rain in this Country !

If your doing a lot of track and it's dry , some spare wheels with semi slicks is the way.

Last edited:
Decided to get mits 235 all round. Best place for best current prices guys?

Go check 'Camskill' and 'mytyres'.

Camskill have good feedback though I've never used 'em.

Used 'mytyres' several times and they've been A1 for me and mine.

Reactions: KKM
Asda seems quite reasonable ,Used them for the wifes car, you get to pick the place where they are fitted.

235/35/R19 Car Tyres Fitted Locally | ASDA® Tyres

Goodyear
235/35R19 91Y XL Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 £657.36 all in fitted . The Michelins are £755

Never used this place but the prices look really good. And initially I found them from a link by somebody on here.

Tyre Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 235/35 R19 91Y - Tyre Leader

Goodyear
Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2
235/35 R19 91Y £ 127.79 each supplied with free delivery = £511.16 . I pay £10 each for tyres to be fitted and balance so that would cost £551.16 a saving of £183 over your black circles price. Unfortunately no Tesco points.

I don't think you will find them any cheaper than this and if they are it will be pennies or you will be picking them up with asbestos gloves.

Karl.

thanks for info mate.

my mate who works at quickfit said £800 for the mits but then he said get to costco! he said can't even come close to costco's price's! wtf didn't even no they did tyre's lol mit is owned by costco. so its like going direct really.

will pop there on weekend and update you guys of there price's ;)

thanks for info mate.

my mate who works at quickfit said £800 for the mits but then he said get to costco! he said can't even come close to costco's price's! wtf didn't even no they did tyre's lol mit is owned by costco. so its like going direct really.

will pop there on weekend and update you guys of there price's ;)

tyreleader where substantially cheaper for MPSS than camskills for me

Tyre Leader : cheap tyres, online tyre purchase, discount price

Reactions: kwistof
update, costco wanted £800 all in. so just ordered them off above link so all in with fitting for the mits super sports 235/35/19s £660 :)

michelin sport cup 2 for me :think: and something new i've seen dunlop sport maxx race

I currently have f1's on my car and feel they excellent tyres and can wholly recommend. But the one thing I really like about them which is not always commented on is the amount of rim protection given by the f1's, impressive. My question is how good is the rim protection on the mpss'? As im looking to replace tyres soon. Thanks