Monster MotorsportAH Fabrications
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree19Likes
  • 10 Post By S3 AD
  • 4 Post By 45bvtc
  • 1 Post By Veneeringman
  • 2 Post By CarrG
  • 1 Post By MBK
  • 1 Post By Moschops

Thread: My Day with Audi sport

  1. #1
    S3 AD's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    South east
    Posts
    213

    Smile My Day with Audi sport

    Well I had a very interesting day with Audi, I ended up driving an S7, RS5 cab, RS6, R8 v10 plus & a new S3 sb.

    The test drives themselves were on normal roads (no track driving) and were for about 30 – 40 mins each car. I was very surprised that the Audi people there were very relaxed and basically just handed us a set of keys for each car 1 at a time – no lecture no sales pitch, just a friendly go and enjoy it!

    I am sure lots of people on here have driven these so I don’t want to bore anyone so a quick review of what I thought. Sorry John – didn’t get any pictures as the cars weren’t that clean and although it didn’t rain it was an overcast day so they wouldn’t have been that special.

    Below are some thoughts from my perspective and my tastes – I am sure not everyone will agree.
    No particular order just the order I happened to drive them in:

    S7, Very nice interior, lots of toys very comfortable and competent and very quiet. This didn’t feel fast, but it was quick. This is mainly due to the comfort and silence of it. Best bits: head up display, silence of the engine, comfort of ride, general interior quality. Worst bits: silence of the engine, cost of the test car with the options it had put it past standard RS6 money. Would I swap the RS3 for one? Maybe in 10 years or if I needed a lot of rear cabin/boot space.

    RS5 cab, Surprisingly similar to the coupe, nice but not really for me. I found this a little disappointing but no more than the coup version. I was tempted to change the RS3 for a coupe but then spent some time with one and realised the RS3 suits me more. No louder than coupe with the roof up. More a cruiser than a handler. I really do like the interior lay out of the S5/RS5’s and with added carbon and leather of the extended packages from the factory and buckets it was even nicer. Best bits: external looks and interior. Worst bits: feels heavy, crappy mpg for no more speed than the RS3. Would I swap the RS3 for one? no

    RS6, Pretty much identical interior to the S7 – with the addition of lots of carbon fibre and a few more toys and a higher load area. It is seriously impressive how fast a car that weighs this much goes, and how quickly it can stop (the one I drove had ceramic brakes, that under light load – squealed…..sound familiar?!) I found it very much a point an squirt car as I didn’t know it well enough to push it round the bends, knowing how much it weighed and how little you can feel through the steering – doesn’t give great confidence. Best bits: sound, that you don’t notice it switching on or off 4 cylinders when pottering around. Worst bits: steering feel, price. Would I swap the RS3 for one? If I needed the load area and could afford it! The one I drove was 89k!

    R8 V10 plus, WOW just WOW……I need one of these in my life!! Amazing car. The only thing I would say & it would not put me off is that he interior / electronics are of the same generation as the RS3. Same sat nav, not the new AMI or interfaces to the car and media and nav etc, I thought they may upgrade some of this at the same time as the face lift but its identical to the original bar a few very minor cosmetic bits. The S tronic box is now easily as good as it is in the other models (I did drive an R8 V8 with R tronic last year and though the gear box was shocking after the RS3. Best bits: engine – gearbox combination, driving position, visibility, everything. Worst bits: that I can’t afford one and the fact it made my RS3 feel slow on the way home. Would I swap the RS3 for one? Surprisingly, no – I would need one as well as the RS3  as I can park the RS3 in places I would not dream of leaving an R8. That would be my perfect 2 car garage!

    S3, IMHO no 2.0L 4 pot needs a quad exit exhausts - over kill….having said that for a 2.0L 4 pot it did sound very nice – a very deep burble but not too intrusive like a chavved up corsa. The Audi guy said it felt as quick as the RS3…..it just didn’t – it did feel fast and not far back, but the RS3 feels a bit quicker and a lot stronger. It is defiantly a big step up from the 8p S3. Bets bits: interior technology has now caught up with the other new Audi models with he AMI, nav and car setting etc, it feels like a light car to chuck around, economy – on my drive I averaged 25mpg, if I drove the RS3 in the same way would guess it would be about 19-20mpg Worst bits: The looks haven’t grown on me yet - too subtle after the RS3, and only available with 18 inch wheels doesn’t help. Would I swap the RS3 for one? No as Audi did say an 8v RS3 would be launched but they didn’t know if it would be the 2.5L 5 or a tuned S3 engine.


    Dont wanna cause any arguments just a my opinions
    dbm, KKM, finchy256 and 7 others like this.
    Currently testing Audi's RS3 brake fix......will it work

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    45bvtc's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    1,094
    Quote Originally Posted by S3 AD View Post
    Would I swap the RS3 for one?

    Dont wanna cause any arguments just a my opinions

    GREAT report Andy, well done you... And well done Audi for providing such a relaxed manner in which to evaluate current Audi cars

    And I'm with you ALL the way Andy; I love all of these current Audi machines but I wouldn't want to swap my RS3 (Bluey) for any of 'em; I truly believe that we don't appreciate how good the RS3 is, warts and all; for me the best all-round piece of road-going machinery available.

    I for one will NOT be letting go of my RS3 anytime soon.

    And these are NOT weasel words: I had a visit from those official Audi magazine people a couple of weeks ago and floored 'em by saying "there was nothing at any Audi garage here in the UK I'd swap my RS3 for", and that was said with 100% sincerity as I for one am very happy with my Audi RS3.

  4. #3
    Veneeringman's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Back in the UK
    Posts
    419
    Bloody hell nice write up !!

    I need to get me on one of these days somehow !!!!!
    45bvtc likes this.
    2012 Misano Red RS3 / Bucket seats Heated front & Rear / Aluminium Styling Pack / Bose / RNS-E / Bluetooth / Mobile phone prep low / AMI / Reversing Sensors / LED number plate lights / Led interior light pack / VCDS / Cruise Control / Exclusive Inlays / Auto Lights & Wipers / 8.5J fronts / extended leather /

  5. #4
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Planet Claire
    Posts
    256
    Nice write up.

    would be nice for Audi to award customers for their custom, was trotted out some lame excuse as to who goes and why they are selected!!!!

  6. #5
    CarrG's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    260
    Glad you enjoyed.

    Guess they were the same Audi UK (MK) cars we drove at Celtic Manor?

    I absolutely loved the RS6 - felt instant control even in horrendous rain. Alot more power to the rear wheels which is great! Great noise also. Like you say could believe our luck when they handed us the keys said "guess you know the area, crack on"!
    Thank you Bath Audi!

    IMG_0338.jpgIMG_0326.jpgIMG_0343.jpg
    45bvtc and RS3copilot like this.
    Ibis RS3 - Buckets - Bose - Black Ed - Privacy - New Brakes
    VW California GP 180 DSG "Candy"

  7. #6
    Dave Hedgehog's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by S3 AD View Post
    S3, IMHO no 2.0L 4 pot needs a quad exit exhausts - over kill….having said that for a 2.0L 4 pot it did sound very nice – a very deep burble but not too intrusive like a chavved up corsa. The Audi guy said it felt as quick as the RS3…..it just didn’t – it did feel fast and not far back, but the RS3 feels a bit quicker and a lot stronger. It is defiantly a big step up from the 8p S3. Bets bits: interior technology has now caught up with the other new Audi models with he AMI, nav and car setting etc, it feels like a light car to chuck around, economy – on my drive I averaged 25mpg, if I drove the RS3 in the same way would guess it would be about 19-20mpg Worst bits: The looks haven’t grown on me yet - too subtle after the RS3, and only available with 18 inch wheels doesn’t help. Would I swap the RS3 for one? No as Audi did say an 8v RS3 would be launched but they didn’t know if it would be the 2.5L 5 or a tuned S3 engine.
    nice right up, txs

    i assume the sound on the from the S3 comes form the fakator speaker that the GTi etc have

    Episode 35: 2011 VW GTI: The Soundaktor - YouTube
    Last edited by Dave Hedgehog; 20th November 2013 at 05:41.

  8. #7
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    37
    I got an invite to the Oulton Park event last week, called them to reserve a slot and it's fully booked! To say I'm gutted would be an understatement

    R8 V10 Sounds awesome, was most looking forward to the RS6

  9. #8
    MBK
    MBK's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Neath
    Posts
    1,146
    Great write up and well done getting a drive in all of them.

    I got "invited" to 2 of these events and despite replying immediately all the slots were fully booked. I think Garry had them all )

    As for the new S3 being as quick as the RS3 I think that is sales talk. All the magazine tests I've seen show it well down on 0-60 (4.2 v 4.9)/ 0-100 (9.9 v 12.6) times and the S3's lap times are a good second slower than the RS3 (1.16.8 v 1.15.4) on a short track too Hockenheim Short lap records - FastestLaps.com the 0-100 and over a second lost on short track are the telling figures. Lets remember though those new S3 figures are still seriously impressive look at some of the cars it is as quick as! You'd have to be seriously on it to shake one on the open road but on track the RS3 would have quite an advantage.

    As for the R8 I agree, I'd have an S-tronic R8 in a heartbeat. Or rather I should say I would have until I read the evo magazine buying guide for the R8 this month. Front pads £307, discs £588, (no real shocks there RS3 isn't far off that from Audi) Cat back exhaust £2.1k, £2.5k for a new clutch , £3.2k for the parts alone for replacement dampers...serious prices to consider if buying used because no warranty covers wear and tear parts like those. Still cheaper than dropping £50k in depreciation on a new R8 but either way a real heart over head purchase. That and a mapped RS3 wouldn't be too far behind with 4 passengers on board if needed.

    Glad you enjoyed the day, I really can't complain about not getting a place after going to the RS4 launch!

  10. #9
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Planet Claire
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by MBK View Post
    Great write up and well done getting a drive in all of them.

    I got "invited" to 2 of these events and despite replying immediately all the slots were fully booked. I think Garry had them all )

    As for the new S3 being as quick as the RS3 I think that is sales talk. All the magazine tests I've seen show it well down on 0-60 (4.2 v 4.9)/ 0-100 (9.9 v 12.6) times and the S3's lap times are a good second slower than the RS3 (1.16.8 v 1.15.4) on a short track too Hockenheim Short lap records - FastestLaps.com the 0-100 and over a second lost on short track are the telling figures. Lets remember though those new S3 figures are still seriously impressive look at some of the cars it is as quick as! You'd have to be seriously on it to shake one on the open road but on track the RS3 would have quite an advantage.

    As for the R8 I agree, I'd have an S-tronic R8 in a heartbeat. Or rather I should say I would have until I read the evo magazine buying guide for the R8 this month. Front pads £307, discs £588, (no real shocks there RS3 isn't far off that from Audi) Cat back exhaust £2.1k, £2.5k for a new clutch , £3.2k for the parts alone for replacement dampers...serious prices to consider if buying used because no warranty covers wear and tear parts like those. Still cheaper than dropping £50k in depreciation on a new R8 but either way a real heart over head purchase. That and a mapped RS3 wouldn't be too far behind with 4 passengers on board if needed.

    Glad you enjoyed the day, I really can't complain about not getting a place after going to the RS4 launch!
    R8 like this Mark....







    MBK likes this.

  11. #10
    Alex C's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lizard, Cornwall
    Posts
    2,562
    I am doing a similar experience day with Truro Audi next Tuesday, i was a bit slow off the mark so i wont get to drive the R8

    I have the TTRS and RS4 lined up for me
    Alex S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8s, H&R Springs, Neuspeed ARBs, Genuine 18" BBS LMs & LCR Brembos

  12. #11
    MBK
    MBK's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Neath
    Posts
    1,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Moschops View Post
    R8 like this Mark....







    Fabulous, love it!!

  13. #12
    S3 AD's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    South east
    Posts
    213
    If you can get on one of the days - of course better to book the drives before hand but on the one that I did there were a suprising number of people that booked drives that didnt turn up, so we were encourged to ask for drives in things we hadnt booked and we got them, I didnt book the RS5 or S7 but due to cancelations got them anyway - hopefully this will be the same for others
    Currently testing Audi's RS3 brake fix......will it work

  14. #13
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Planet Claire
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by S3 AD View Post
    If you can get on one of the days - of course better to book the drives before hand but on the one that I did there were a suprising number of people that booked drives that didnt turn up, so we were encourged to ask for drives in things we hadnt booked and we got them, I didnt book the RS5 or S7 but due to cancelations got them anyway - hopefully this will be the same for others
    Thanks for the info

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 20th July 2011, 21:21
  2. Silver A3 in Southwater with audi-sport sticker.
    By Dan Gliballs in forum Spotters forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22nd October 2009, 19:08
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 17th August 2009, 19:59
  4. Audi-sport RR day - 22nd November at AMD - result!
    By simont in forum Major UK Events
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 28th December 2003, 01:20
  5. audi-sport.net RR day S4 biturbo graphs
    By admins in forum Tuning
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 8th December 2003, 18:44

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO