• 3 Post By DAYTONA500
  • 1 Post By DAYTONA500
  • 1 Post By Veneeringman
  • 2 Post By gary3306

Thread: TORQUE tightening of RS3 wheel bolts to 120Nm

5th Gear

Status

TORQUE tightening of RS3 wheel bolts to 120Nm

Over the last 24/18-months I've had a number of RS3's in and out of my garage (brake squeal/POR-15/etc) that I've had to remove wheels from, many of which I've 'sensed' have either 'under' or 'over' tightened' wheel bolts.

To say one is worse that the other (under-tightened/over-tightened) would be foolish as the potentially catastrophic results of either would be the same.

A recent RS3 owner/driver (and he knows who…) had wheel-bolts so tight I couldn't move them (for f**k sake was the technical term I used). I was then shown the 'bejasus!' wheel-brace with which he (a nice man(!)) had tightened them and suggested (respectfully) that he now undo (as I've a bad-back and so has he) the said wheel-bolts with that same 'bejasus!' wheel-brace and we’d start again, and so we did.

Having had him tighten the first wheel-bolt with my nice, new (used but carefully calibrated) torque-wrench, and him using the same 'way-over-the-top' leverage as with his 'bejasus!' wheel brace, he undid that one and started again. This time, with perfection, all 5-wheel bolts were tightened surprisingly-lightly, but correctly, to 120Nm.

Recently, no longer having the facility to be able to check/calibrate my own torque-wrench's, I investigated (on line) the availability of a suitable but cost effective wrench that would give me the confidence I needed to secure both my own, and others, wheel-bolts correctly.

This is IMPORTANT stuff guys, as many of us feel the need to remove a wheel at some stage (or CHECK what the local tyre fitter/garage has done, even) as wheel-bolts can shear and alloy wheels fracture due to over-tightening!

And we all know what can happen when wheels are under-tightened, of course.

With a suitable source found I paid £36 (plus delivery) for a near new but 'calibrated' to 120Nm 'Norbar' torque-wrench from an Evesham based eBay (2010toolmaster) seller of near-new torque wrenches. I asked him (Simon) to specifically 'check' the torque wrench at 120Nm (and had told him why it was important). And Simon did just that, writing back to me (helpfully) to confirm.

For me it was NOT a lot of cost to ensure that the wheel-bolts on my TT and RS3 (and of others in and out of my garage) are tightened correctly.

CAUTION: UNLESS calibrated individually no torque wrench will give confident loadings.
    KKM and DAYTONA500 like this.

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    i just invested in one as well, will be using it to swap to winters, thanks for the info
    45bvtc likes this.
    www.SubZerosystems.co.uk - IT Consultancy

5th Gear

Status
    45bvtc, I have a NORBAR torque wrench calibration checker for sale if you're interested. Bolts to the wall and you can check your torque wrench cal before each use.
    A4 S-Line. Mods so far; Cruise, DIS, Mk2 RNS-e, Audi 6 CD changer, XcarLink with self manufactured permanent ipod dock, B8 MFSW, Dectane Dayline Headlights with independantly switched DRL's, RS4 Rear ARB, De-badged, RS4 pedals, HIDS, RS4 front grille and RS4 style fog surrounds, LCR splitter in Satin Black, Rear Park Assist, LED gearknob, Red footwell lighting, Kitchen sink and Shower cubicle.

5th Gear

Status
    (it appears you like brackets) ....?
    Current - 2006 B7 A4 S Line Saloon 2.0T TFSI Special Edition, Unicorn stage 1 remap, Metallic Dolphin Grey, 18" TTRS Rotors, Ferrari Red front/rear Calipers, 3.5" Powerflow tailpipes, BOSE, Cupra R splitter, Chrome grille slats, S4 Mirror covers, Black/silver leather interior, Debadged, Arm rest delete, LED plate lights, Dectane LED Red/Crystal tail lights, HID 6k, RS 4 pedals, Rev D D/V, APR snub mount, NGK 7s

Gone - 2005 B7 A4 Avant 2.0 TDI

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Av4nt View Post
    (it appears you like brackets) ....?
    {NOTHING WRONG WITH USING BRACKETS} [ESPECIALLY WHEN USED BY{45bvtc} ].
    MB RS3, 45bvtc and MBK like this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 45bvtc View Post
    Over the last 24/18-months I've had a number of RS3's in and out of my garage (brake squeal/POR-15/etc) that I've had to remove wheels from, many of which I've 'sensed' have either 'under' or 'over' tightened' wheel bolts.

To say one is worse that the other (under-tightened/over-tightened) would be foolish as the potentially catastrophic results of either would be the same.

A recent RS3 owner/driver (and he knows who…) had wheel-bolts so tight I couldn't move them (for f**k sake was the technical term I used). I was then shown the 'bejasus!' wheel-brace with which he (a nice man(!)) had tightened them and suggested (respectfully) that he now undo (as I've a bad-back and so has he) the said wheel-bolts with that same 'bejasus!' wheel-brace and we’d start again, and so we did.

Having had him tighten the first wheel-bolt with my nice, new (used but carefully calibrated) torque-wrench, and him using the same 'way-over-the-top' leverage as with his 'bejasus!' wheel brace, he undid that one and started again. This time, with perfection, all 5-wheel bolts were tightened surprisingly-lightly, but correctly, to 120Nm.

Recently, no longer having the facility to be able to check/calibrate my own torque-wrench's, I investigated (on line) the availability of a suitable but cost effective wrench that would give me the confidence I needed to secure both my own, and others, wheel-bolts correctly.

This is IMPORTANT stuff guys, as many of us feel the need to remove a wheel at some stage (or CHECK what the local tyre fitter/garage has done, even) as wheel-bolts can shear and alloy wheels fracture due to over-tightening!

And we all know what can happen when wheels are under-tightened, of course.

With a suitable source found I paid £36 (plus delivery) for a near new but 'calibrated' to 120Nm 'Norbar' torque-wrench from an Evesham based eBay (2010toolmaster) seller of near-new torque wrenches. I asked him (Simon) to specifically 'check' the torque wrench at 120Nm (and had told him why it was important). And Simon did just that, writing back to me (helpfully) to confirm.

For me it was NOT a lot of cost to ensure that the wheel-bolts on my TT and RS3 (and of others in and out of my garage) are tightened correctly.

CAUTION: UNLESS calibrated individually no torque wrench will give confident loadings.
    Guilty as charged.
    45bvtc likes this.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gary3306 View Post
    45bvtc, I have a NORBAR torque wrench calibration checker for sale if you're interested. Bolts to the wall and you can check your torque wrench cal before each use.
    Thanks Gary3306 but I'll not take you up on the offer, I no longer build chassis, engine, gearboxes, etc., so it would be wasted on me and I've other calibrated torque-wrenches for that should the need arise, but your offer is very much appreciated.

Bazinga

Status
    Agreed John a very important piece of equipment indeed ! A lot of 'straightforward' jobs on cars these days require a torque wrench.
    45bvtc likes this.
    2012 Misano Red RS3 / Bucket seats Heated front & Rear / Aluminium Styling Pack / Bose / RNS-E / Bluetooth / Mobile phone prep low / AMI / Reversing Sensors / LED number plate lights / Led interior light pack / VCDS / Cruise Control / Exclusive Inlays / Auto Lights & Wipers / 8.5J fronts / extended leather / Michelin Pilot super sport tyres / and a few other things

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    I did have some Halfords pro wrenches, but then saw my mates gear & invested in some digi techangle wrench's from snapon, brilliant is all I can say, well worth the fair investment.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

5th Gear

Status
    Thats what I have at work Nigel.
    NHN and 45bvtc like this.
    A4 S-Line. Mods so far; Cruise, DIS, Mk2 RNS-e, Audi 6 CD changer, XcarLink with self manufactured permanent ipod dock, B8 MFSW, Dectane Dayline Headlights with independantly switched DRL's, RS4 Rear ARB, De-badged, RS4 pedals, HIDS, RS4 front grille and RS4 style fog surrounds, LCR splitter in Satin Black, Rear Park Assist, LED gearknob, Red footwell lighting, Kitchen sink and Shower cubicle.