SUCCESSFUL APPLICATION of the 47i6 BRAKE UPGRADE

45bvtc

The Older I Get The Better I Was
Supporter
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, as most guys will know that I first experienced intense brake-squeal on my car in February 2012 and deciding not to wait for Audi to sort the problem set about developing my own resolution that has been 100% successful since applying the Mintex self-adhesive anti-squeal shims.

However, throughout 2013 we've seen the 47i6 brake upgrade released and applied to cars where owner/drivers have registered a complaint (a number of complaints are valid); anyway, having seen/inspected/viewed/driven a fair number of 'early' 47i6 brake upgrades, and being totally under whelmed by the experiences, I decided waited for the storm to subside before having AUDI apply the upgrade to my car.

Inspiration for me to make the change came from Martin Sander himself; I challenged Martin directly at the Goodwood Festival of Speed, we discussed the issue at length and followed with correspondence passing back and forth. Finally Martin gave me good reason to have the 47i6 upgrade applied and I have now done so, however, I did ensure that I had alternatives in hand just in case, and those alternatives have been detailed elsewhere.

So last week the change was made. I specifically requested that the Master Technician did not road test of the car unless he was prepared to undertake (to the letter) the recommended Brembo brake bedding-in procedure; happily for me Stafford Audi agreed (that said I have nothing but praise for ALL of the guys at Stafford Audi).

Second service and brake upgrade completed I drove away from Stafford Audi and onto fast but lightly loaded roads applying the bedding in process as safely as conditions allowed. It took less than 20-miles to be fair, and the changes/improvements from start to finish were dramatic; the brakes are as good now as they were on the original set-up but are now: a) much quieter in application, and 2) amazingly dust free. Ok, the pedal remains slightly 'soft' to the feel but it is improving, as is the initial 'bite'.

Interestingly, the temperature build-up/bite of the pad in application can seriously be felt, neat!

Conclusion: I like 'em! :thumbsup:

RS3_096_zps43a2c4d6.jpg

Oh! And I was emphatic with Martin Sander and others within Audi UK (and elsewhere) that I was not going to drive around with those 4-vibration-damping bobbins on my calipers :ermm:, so they are OFF! The only purpose for these items (in my view) is to mask any resulting noise/squeal and I want to hear at first-hand any noise/squeal that may develop, as I'll then apply the same resolution as before (Mintex self-adhesive anti-squeal shims).

PS: the photo shows the brake disc spyder lovingly protected with POR15 clear :yahoo:

Reactions: JonnyG, CarrG, quattro81 and 5 others
And here again is the Brembo brake bedding in procedure completed:

"The purpose of the procedure is to gradually increase the temperature in the components without thermal shock and to mate the brake pad and disc friction surfaces, generating a uniform transfer layer.

Part 1: Perform at least 20 brake applications using medium deceleration (approximately 60% of maximum) starting from 60mph and slowing to 20mph: DO NOT brake to a stop. Accelerate back to the starting speed allowing 20-30 seconds before beginning the next brake application. After completion, drive the vehicle for at least 5 minutes with little or no braking in order to adequately cool the components.

When it can be done legally, or on a closed circuit, a secondary bedding operation is beneficial.

Part 2: Repeat the above procedure (Part 1) for 5 to 10 brake applications increasing the starting speed to 80mph and increasing the deceleration rate to 80% of maximum. After completion, drive the vehicle for at least 10 minutes with little or no braking in order to adequately cool the components.

The system is now ready for normal use."

BREMBO advise "this entire procedure must be complete before driving the vehicle as normal. It is especially important that this process is completed before any extended same-speed driving is done (i.e. Motorway travel). Failure to follow these instructions greatly increases the likelihood of judder development."

I had no problems with my original brakes, having only ever driven in the dry! Audi applied the upgrade anyway, I followed the bedding in procedure to the letter, and the brakes work fine.. But after 1200 dry miles on them, they are now squealing :( wish I'd stuck with my originals

I had no problems with my original brakes, having only ever driven in the dry! Audi applied the upgrade anyway, I followed the bedding in procedure to the letter, and the brakes work fine.. But after 1200 dry miles on them, they are now squealing :( wish I'd stuck with my originals

FROM here, regrettably, I see only 3-options:

1) The Mintex self-adhesive anti-squeal shims

2) The Brembo Sports pad that Brembo claim to prevent brake squeal

Note: one RS3 owner driver is using these post 47i6 and is 100% content (please shout up now Marcus), or

3) A non-Audi alternative brake disc and pad (as per MBK's set-up)

The primary advantage I see of using the Mintex shims (1) is that you retain the Audi warranty by using Audi supplied brake pads, and if you've a 3/4/5 year warranty then that has to be considered. However, I do have a set of Brembo Sports pads on the shelf just in case... :blownose:

Reactions: T-800
i suffered horrifically from the squeal as i drive in london and breaking is often at the perfect speed to create it, often 20-30 squeals a minute, mind numbing

however the upgrade was the worst thing i ever did, with coming up for 3k miles on them they still feel like solid wooden blocks, the biting point has vanished, you have to press the pedal 10 times harder to get them to do anything, its near impossible to judge breaking for corners due to the lack of feel and the massivly changing performance

it has ruined my car tbh, apart from the squeal the brakes where perfect before ...

It seems people's experience with the new upgraded brakes is very varied.

For me the upgrade has, overall, been positive.

1. The new brakes are much quieter in operation (i.e. not just the squealing gone, but the whole operation is smoother and quieter).
2. I've had no squealing at all (the forthcoming colder weather will be the acid test)
3. Stopping power seems just as good.
4. I've not had the terrible "delayed" wet weather response (although this was very rare with the old brakes)

The only slight downside I've noticed is that the pedal has a bit more travel and the initial "bite" of the brakes isn't quite as positive, although it is ultimately there. I have adapted to this over time though.

Hey John, brakes looking good there :sm4:

What's the best POR15 for the rear hub bells where my rust is worst.

Is this the right stuff ? :-

Silver POR15 Rust Prevention Paint, US Quart (946ml), POR 15 treatment, prevent | eBay

or

Silver POR-15 Six Pack Rust Preventative Paint - NEW - P265Silver | eBay for a potential group buy !

Sort of John, but: a) the quart-size tins are way too large (the pint-size tin also), however, b) if you or someone else purchased the 6-pack you'd easily sell five on as you need so little to do the job.

Go see the thread "Rusty rear wheel hubs" and post #26, for procedure and details.

And on my new front brakes I used POR-15 clear and lightly 'smeared' POR-15 over the spyder faces (not brushed) and that has provided an excellent finish - you can always flat and add a second coat of POR-15 should you so wish.

So go to Frost on-line (via eBay if you wish and see the range): any help you need you know where I am…

AND FOR THE RECORD: I have tried GTECHNIQ C5 on my original front brake-disc alloy spyders and was not sufficiently impressed to continue with the product (even have 1/3 of a bottle left if anyone wants to collect); it certainly is NOT as effective (for me) as the POR-15 clear - never mind the cost of a relatively small bottle.

Last edited:
Gtechniq C1 & C5 (which are in fact the same product) are both suited for paintwork (painted alloys) but not so much bare metal. I'm sure the POR-15 "Clear" is best for that :thumbsup:

Reactions: T-800 and 45bvtc
I remain 100% content with this 47i6 upgrade.

My brakes are much quieter in application and amazingly dust free.

OK, so the pedal remains a little long, exactly the same as that NEW-ish TTRS I was out in a couple of weeks ago, so that's reassuring.

That said the pedal is nowhere near as good as that RS4 I was fortunate to evaluate on the same day, that was absolutely ACE!

Once warmed-up however my brakes are now definitely OK! So I'll be leaving the Brembo Sports pads on the shelf for the time being.

Reactions: S3 AD
i have just had my fix pads replaced, hopefully my issues where down to not being bedded in properly and this set will be OK

i have just had my fix pads replaced, hopefully my issues where down to not being bedded in properly and this set will be OK

got a few miles under the belt now so here are the ratings

original brakes 10/10 - best brakes i have had on any car, you could brake so late and so hard

replacement brakes 2/10 - just terrible, wooden pedal with no feel, had to press 10 times harder, almost no retardation up until the brakes locked, ruined the car

replacement pads II 8.5/10 - we are back baby oh yeah, loving it, a little bit less feel and retardation is about 15-20% down (which i hope will improve as they get more miles on them) and the biting point is back at the top of the pedal

back in love with my car now, best car i have ever owned by a mile, top work by Audi again :)

maybe i will look into getting the front end sorted next year

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus and T-800