BREMBO brake bedding-in procedure

45bvtc

The Older I Get The Better I Was
Supporter
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
The following is taken from the Brembo High Performance brake pad catalogue 2013 (see page 43).

RS3 and TTRS owners may find this procedure needs to be undertaken following the Audi 47i6 brake upgrade:

"It is very important to follow proper brake bedding procedure following installation. This is necessary not only for optimum performance of the system, but also to avoid onset of judder (vibration felt through brake and steering).

When fitting pads to used discs, the discs must be in good condition and be within the original manufacturers manufacturing tolerances. In case of any doubt, new discs should be fitted.

Be aware that with new brake system components, the braking performance will be reduced until the pads and discs are fully bedded. Use extreme caution while driving the vehicle under these conditions. If done on public roads obey all traffic laws and do not endanger yourself or others.

The purpose of this procedure is to gradually increase the temperature in the components without thermal shock and to mate the brake pad and disc friction surfaces, generating a uniform transfer layer.

Perform at least 20 brake applications using medium deceleration (approximately 60% of maximum) starting from 60mph and slowing to 20mph. Do not come to a stop. Accelerate back to the starting speed allowing 20-30 seconds before beginning the next brake application. After completion, drive the vehicle for at least 5 minutes with little or no braking in order to adequately cool the components.

When it can be done legally, or on a closed circuit, a secondary bedding operation is beneficial.
Repeat the above procedure for 5 to 10 brake applications increasing the starting speed to 80mph and increasing the deceleration rate to 80% of maximum. After completion, drive the vehicle for at least 10 minutes with little or no braking in order to adequately cool the components. The system is now ready for normal use.

This entire procedure must be complete before driving the vehicle as normal. It is especially important that this process is completed before any extended same-speed driving is done (i.e. Motorway travel). Failure to follow these instructions greatly increases the likelihood of judder development."

Reactions: quattro81, T-800, monkeyboy_marcus and 2 others
Following the Audi 47i6 brake upgrade very little of the feedback is convincing!

As my own brakes are still standard, and having already arranged to have the upgrade fitted next month (2nd Service), my thoughts obviously are now concentrated on the brake pad itself i.e., a) do I have the upgrade pads fitted (not at all happy about that!), or b) do I retain my original pads (already sorted!), or c) do I source an alternative?

Now in January 2013 I started a particular thread entitled "WHAT A LAUGH! Brembo are marketing a squeal free brake pad and AUDI UK don't know..." and listed the link to the advertisement and hence availability thereof; here are the details of the said brake pad:

Brembo Sports Brake Pad
Part Number 07.B314.48
Brand: Brembo Brakes
Tech Notes: 23092
Pad Length: 131.6mm
Pad Height: 77.2mm
Pad Thickness: 16.0mm

Now having downloaded the "Brembo Sports Brake Pads" catalogue (pdf), I find that these same brake pads (Brembo part # 07.B314.48)are listed for use in ALL the following cars:

Alfa Romeo 156 (932) 1.9 JTD: 07.B314.48

Alfa Romeo 159 1.8TBi, 3.2JTS, 2.4JTD 147: 07.B314.48

Alfa Romeo 166 (936) 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, 3.2, 2.4JTD 129 - 176 09.98 10.00 F 07.B314.48

Alfa Romeo BRERA 1.8TBi, 3.2JTS, 2.4JTDM 147 - 191 01.06 07.B314.48

Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 GTA 176 11.03 07.B314.48

Alfa Romeo SPIDER (939) 1.8TBi, 3.2JTS 147 - 191 09.06 F 07.B314.48

Aston Martin DB9: 07.B314.48

Aston Martin VANTAGE V8: 07.B314.48

Audi RS3: 07.B314.48

Audi TTRS: 07.B314.48

Citroen DS3 Racing 68/70: 07.B314.48

Lancia KAPPA (838A) 2.0 20V Turbo, 3.0 24V: 07.B314.48

Mitsubishi LANCER EVO V, VI, VII, VIII, IX: 07.B314.48

Mitsubishi EVO X LANCER EVO X: 07.B314.48

Renault MEGANE III Sport RS 250: 07.B314.48

Volvo S60 R 2.5T AWD: 07.B314.48

Volvo V70 II ESTATE (P80) 2.5T, 2.5R: 07.B314.48

How interesting is this. I do not know why Audi didn't use these actual brake pads rather the ones they are using but at least two RS3 owners who are using these pads (post the Audi 47i6 upgrade) report 'positively' with total restoration of the original braking performance.

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus
I'd say let them fit the new pads and then source the right ones for your needs, either Brembo pads you list or a set of PAGID RS4-2 Blue if you want even more bite which I'm sure would be useful with those wide tyres up front!

Reactions: 45bvtc
YUP! However, read some bad reports recently of Pagid now being manufactured in China with very negative results. (I'm not happy sayin that as I worked in China in the 80's (sourcing components) and found (some of) the quality first class....)

I personally have had very bad experience with EBC pads, in particular on the back of my Elan; a set from supplier 'A' being 'brick' hard while a second set from supplier 'b' being perfect (a Tuesday/Thursday compound mix I guess)

The best solution for me Mark is to hold on to my current pads (already sorted) and play the 47i6 game; though I've already ordered a set of the 07.B314.48 Brembo Sports Pads.

Though I might try the Pagids too...

Don't ya just love this RS3!

PS: LOVE the rolling road stuff... the print-outs are ace!

Sounds a good solution, keep the pads that work. Interesting with the Pagids I didn't know that. I've got to say mine have been superb so far, nice blue tinge to the AP discs now the pads have worked in a little.

As for the EBC discs and pads I'd agree hit and miss, I've heard many failure stories. I have to say they were fine on the S2000 but that was a 1200kg car and I tend to find that's the cut off point for needing high end discs and pads.

I do still love the RS3 - that little kick on the graphs was where my car really kicked in the power! I'd hoped the performance figures would be more of a match for a standard 480 bhp GTR 0-60 in 3.8 0-100 in 8.5 (but as my GTR owning mate says who do you know with a standard GTR - it's a good point not many are standard!), lets hope the APR v2 map can match that!

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus and 45bvtc
Hi John

As you know, I've opted for the Brembo sport pads with the warranty replaced front discs/calipers and have no complaints. Great stopping power/confidence, as with the original set-up but not a hint of noise. Not bad for the price, although should have been stock in my opinion. Fine for road use, even with spirited runs, probably just what you're used to! Off to Brands Hatch next month though and may be looking at MBK's set-up if these aren't up to it. Pagid blues are legendary, if my recent research is correct but maybe the discs should be upgraded at the same time. Maybe ditch your old set up, swap for the warranty replacements, ebay the package and upgrade entirely!!

Oh, and get rid of the Contis too. Michelin Super Sports are great but don't just change the fronts if you can help it - I'm on half and half and will be going all around SS ASAP to have the continuity of grip/performance.

Cheers

Marcus

Reactions: T-800 and 45bvtc
MonkeyBoy - Did you try the replacement pads bedded in with your new discs and calipers or did you change straight to the Brembo Sport pads?

I find the new set-up great with plenty of bite. I've not done 1000's of miles with them tho..

Ha John sounds like your going to try every option. Look forward to your appraisal. :)

I like the idea of putting the new fix straight on gaybay and getting Marks set-up! Wish I'd have thought of that lol.

Reactions: 45bvtc
I'm with ALL of you guys (MBK, monkeyboy-marcus, and CarrG; plus a fair number of others who've been active in sorting this 'annoyance'); at least we can now see a clear path forward with more than one satisfactory solution.

So, further to my encounter at Goodwood with Mr. Sander, and with correspondence exchanged, follows is how the 47i6 upgrade/change was explained to me and is why I am now persuaded to have the upgrade fitted to my own car - though I'm still questioning the performance of the revised brake pads (too many negative feedbacks, and I've driven a few), the original brake pads (NOT the friction material mind) were always the issue for me, as posted extensively, however:

"Eliminating the root cause was what we were aiming for and as such we changed the design of the brake callipers. Two precisely specified mass dampers were added along with a modified pad back plate – by cutting in half-moon shaped recesses. The mass dampers modify the frequency (formerly felt as an annoying squeal) so it will no longer be audible. The recess in the back plate slightly angles one pair of the calliper pistons to eliminate the play inside the calliper bore holes which before has led to vibrations and consequently to undesired noise."

So there you have it, you decide…

Reactions: T-800 and monkeyboy_marcus
MonkeyBoy - Did you try the replacement pads bedded in with your new discs and calipers or did you change straight to the Brembo Sport pads?

I find the new set-up great with plenty of bite. I've not done 1000's of miles with them tho..

Ha John sounds like your going to try every option. Look forward to your appraisal. :)

I like the idea of putting the new fix straight on gaybay and getting Marks set-up! Wish I'd have thought of that lol.

Mate, I had the warranty replacement pads in for about 2-3k miles before changing them. Started out fine, or so I thought but once I got more confidence in the new set-up, I noticed a consistent lack of stopping power from relative high speed that wasn't due to the worn Contis, because I still had them when I changed to the sports pads. I also disliked the amount of brake dust that was coating my wheels. I'm not saying that the sports pads are amazing but they seem to be at least as good as the original stock pads. To go any better I reckon you have to look at an enhanced set-up like MBK...

Reactions: 45bvtc and CarrG