• 1 Post By 45bvtc
  • 1 Post By MBK
  • 1 Post By 45bvtc

Thread: Stiffer competition? A45 AMG driven by evo and Car

MBK
    5th Gear

Status

Stiffer competition? A45 AMG driven by evo and Car

So here is the first of the new RS3 rivals at £37K and with a firmer suspension setup than an RS Megane - and that's before you add the optional AMG sport suspension. Sounds like it's going to be a slightly crazy machine as you might expect from AMG. Looks like the group tests are going to be against the M135i and S3 for now, fair enough as they are current production rivals but lets hope evo and drive dig out a 1M and an RS3 for a proper comparison.2013 Mercedes A45 AMG review and pictures | evo

Mercedes A45 AMG (2013) CAR review | Road Testing Reviews | Car Magazine Online

2. # ADS
    ADS

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Interior looks better than allot of merc's I've seen, although the main lcd looks almost stuck on as such & the carbon is so overdone now it looks tacky, however layout isn't bad & seats look very good, but then the exterior looks a bit Seat/Fiat like to me in areas, but saying that, I think the Guiletta is a step in the right direction for Fiat aswell, so I do quite like it tbh, refreshing styling from Merc, although I will say some of the newer models really do have some fantastic lines to them which always gets my 2nd glance these days.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

MBK
    5th Gear

Status
    Yep it all looks a bit of a 'my first hot hatch' attempt, but the 2 A Class that have popped up around here do look better in the flesh than on the pictures. I suspect the technology and gadgets will also be top of the line ot the line if they have carried them over from the C63 - front/rear cameras, speed limit sign detection, google etc - none of that is essential but it's good fun all the same!

I will drive one when the demo arrives at the local dealer.

dbm
    3rd Gear

Status
    I must admit that this car had made its way on to my 'potential' list, and having seen some cooking A's in the metal they are a nice looking car but seem to be quite a bit smaller than the RS3 on the inside.

Shame about the review of the car's handling. Why aren't people putting torque vectoring on these cars? The Nissan Juke has it for grud's sake!
    RS3 | TTS | A3 3.2Q | S3(8L)

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    So true, A5's inside are very small indeed, but massively exterior.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

MBK
    5th Gear

Status
    We found the RS3 surprisingly poor for load space (I suspect the quattro gear takes up quite a bit of boot space?) with all the stuff required for a week away with kids, luckily the mrs Civic Type R is cavernous and swallowed the lot! if the A Class is even smaller that would be no use to us. Have to agree about the A5 and even A7 too (we borrowed an A7 for a couple of weeks) shockingly little room in the cabin for such a massive car on the outside.

The Juke needs torque vectoring just to be half decent according to the latest evo hot hatch group test - it was shockingly off the pace/handling against the latest hatches.

P_G
    2nd Gear

Status
    The A45's boot is a good bit smaller than the RS3 having seen it at Geneva. This isn't a car to trade the '3 up for as performance is nigh on identical but you may get a few more miles on a tank and have better road tax every year but is an option if your looking for a new AWD £330+ bhp motor as opposed to a used one.

MBK
    5th Gear

Status
    Hi P_G, I agree, we weren't thinking of trading the RS3 for one, the C63 ran the RS3 very close but the RS3 was a better all rounder. My mrs really likes the A Class and has always wanted to own a three pointed star hence the interest. You already know where my car money will go next and it won't be a four pot.

MBK
    5th Gear

Status
    Cracking video here AMG45 vs CLS63 AMG - blimey the AMG45 is proper rapid 0-60 in 4.1s and standing 1/4 in 12.6. It's a proper RS3 rival by those stats because my own performance box figures say RS3 0-60 in 4.2s and standing 1/4 in 12.4s. Who needs to spend £86k on the CLS? Another win for the double clutch gearbox.

1st Gear

Status
    Another Autocar video on track here ... pretty impressive review.

Video: Mercedes A45 AMG driven flat out Car Video | Autocar
    MBK likes this.
    Audi RS3 in Daytona Grey, 7sp S-Tronic, Sept 2012

MBK
    5th Gear

Status
    "That's the one, decision made" was the mrs comment this morning!

evo magazine dropped through the letter box this morning with the usual solid thud. Before I'd even had chance to look at it my boy had whipped the magazine away and was looking at it with the mrs when they came to the article about the A45 AMG and that's when the comment above was made. She's wanted a Merc for a while, she really wanted the SLK but kids put paid to that idea and wasn't keen on the saloon shaped bigger cars. We really did like the C63 though and it was a close run thing with the RS3.

So there we go, looks like one of these will be her next car!

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MBK View Post
    "That's the one, decision made" was the mrs comment this morning!

evo magazine dropped through the letter box this morning with the usual solid thud. Before I'd even had chance to look at it my boy had whipped the magazine away and was looking at it with the mrs when they came to the article about the A45 AMG and that's when the comment above was made. She's wanted a Merc for a while, she really wanted the SLK but kids put paid to that idea and wasn't keen on the saloon shaped bigger cars. We really did like the C63 though and it was a close run thing with the RS3.

So there we go, looks like one of these will be her next car!
    .......................Oh, sorry "HER" next car........
    MBK likes this.

MBK
    5th Gear

Status
    John, I have no control over this decision, she likes her cars and driving!

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MBK View Post
    John, I have no control over this decision, she likes her cars and driving!

I've one just the same Mark....
    MBK likes this.

3rd Gear

Status
    It is a lille more than I was hoping, but got to say it is high on my list for next car the Saloon version though