intermittent steering wheel vibration at speed and something else

wickedstef

Reaction score
Guys,

Maybe you can help me figure what this is. I have 2 issues: intermittent vibrations on the steering wheel, and very slight right biased angle on the wheel.

- Sometimes, at speed (like this morning), the wheel transfers vibrations (I don't get a free hand massage but the wheel can be seen shaking). The road surface was rubbish, but I wouldn't expect this to be the reason (happy to stand corrected) as I drive on it everyday. This doesn't happen all the time, so that's why I spot it immediately. I am not even sure this is speed related (but again, happy to stand corrected). I'm puzzled as I would expect this to be permanent symptom of a permanent issue (happy to be told otherwise, I'm no expert)

- Another thing, not sure if it's related, is that the wheel is very slightly to the right (with no hands on it). The car doesn't seem to deviate from a straight line but it is obviously difficult to ascertain. What I can say is that when not holding the wheel, it doesn't abruptly turn to any side. I haven't hit any kerb, but I do have speed bumps near my place and it is not always easy to take them under 20mph.

I took the pressure right after driving on both front tyres. So obviously it was higher than real, but it seemed equal on both sides. I will take the pressure again when cold and see if there is a big difference. Would a slight difference explain the slight (very slight)
steering wheel right bias?

May I get your opinion on this?

Thank you.

Hey Stephane:

1) check tyre pressures (41psi Front and and 39psi Rear)

2) check wheel balance as the tyre will go out of balance over time, and

3) go get an alignment check and adjust at a reputable Audi dealership. :thumbsup:

This needs to be done at an Audi dealership as the car needs to be loaded correctly the ensure accuracy - a Kwik-fit fitter won't do this...
:think:

Reactions: wickedstef
You could also try trading the left-hand front with the right-hand front and see if the characteristics remain the same... just a thought! :huh:

Oh and check those pressures on COLD tyres - but you know this already…
:yes:

I agree with John try all that first.

Also your tyres are getting more worn that could be the source of the increased vibration and pull (uneven wear) but under/different inflation is first thing to try

One other suggestion - did you have cruise control on over that section of road? Maybe sometimes it was on and other times off? I've noticed a slight vibration sensation when cruise holds a steady 70mph on the motorway, especially if there is a following wind. It feels like the rear brakes are used to maintain the speed. First time I noticed this it was the strangest sensation - I turned the cruise off and the 'problem' was gone.

You've tried 'cruise' Mark! :sadlike: Really? :think:

This is THE MBK Ruthin Mark here.... :racer:

Tried mine once just to see if it works, and it did! :meeting:

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus
Hi guys,

Thank you for the valuable recommendations. I didn't have cruise on but the vibrations were felt a over the speed limit + 10% and around that speed (dual carriage way A road). I will check the tyre pressure before leaving work today but I do think they were both on 41ps1, might have been slightly more.

I would have wanted to wait for my brakes change to do the balance/alignment but if it keeps annoying me I will go sooner.

John,

When you say swapping the fronts, do you mean with the wheels on, or just the tyres?

I'll call the local Audi to see if they can fit me in for lunch time.

Cheers guys

You've tried 'cruise' Mark! :sadlike: Really? :think:

This is THE MBK Ruthin Mark here.... :racer:

Tried mine once just to see if it works, and it did! :meeting:

He he yep cruise is great for the M4 commute, just one big long line of traffic. Some lucky people no longer have to worry about that though do they ;)

Reactions: 45bvtc
Car booked for next week. They want to keep it 2 days :sadlike:. Checks under warranty unless I am guilty :notme:. Called Audi CS to try to get the brakes fix in at the same time. Will keep you posted.

Car booked for next week. They want to keep it 2 days :sadlike:. Checks under warranty unless I am guilty :notme:. Called Audi CS to try to get the brakes fix in at the same time. Will keep you posted.

Well done Stephane, that's the right move... :thumbsup:

He he yep cruise is great for the M4 commute, just one big long line of traffic. Some lucky people no longer have to worry about that though do they ;)
:think:

Hi guys,

Thank you for the valuable recommendations. I didn't have cruise on but the vibrations were felt a over the speed limit + 10% and around that speed (dual carriage way A road). I will check the tyre pressure before leaving work today but I do think they were both on 41ps1, might have been slightly more.

I would have wanted to wait for my brakes change to do the balance/alignment but if it keeps annoying me I will go sooner.

John,

When you say swapping the fronts, do you mean with the wheels on, or just the tyres?

I'll call the local Audi to see if they can fit me in for lunch time.

Cheers guys

Wheel and tyre as fitted Stephane, just swap 'em over and evaluate... Either there is a difference, or there is not. If there is then it's a wheel tyre issue. If not, then it's an alignment issue. Simples... :meeting:

The car is booked in for Wednesday. The more I think about this, the more I believe it's the combination of speed bumps and bad A road/potholes on my way to work... I guess overtime it would affect the car.

I believe others treat this car much more harshly than I do (thinking Mark and others here) and don't report anything similar so I can only attribute this to the rubbish roads.

Will keep you posted.

The car is booked in for Wednesday. The more I think about this, the more I believe it's the combination of speed bumps and bad A road/potholes on my way to work... I guess overtime it would affect the car.

I believe others treat this car much more harshly than I do (thinking Mark and others here) and don't report anything similar so I can only attribute this to the rubbish roads.

Will keep you posted.

That one was WAY BELOW the belt Mark... :readit:

I'll take that as a compliment that I use the potential of the RS3 when conditions allow!

Admittedly I do have a little excess enthusiasm for driving, especially on track or a good A&B road.

Imo they gave it an RS badge for a reason and I hope they sort Stephane's car quickly because you should be able to use all the car has to offer.

Quite right Mark, Stephane IS a gentleman... :yes: All in pure fun Stephane...

I'm sure it'll be alignment, Stephanie's car is not the first to be found wanting in this area - especially with the tyre wear characteristics he reported earlier: fingers crossed... :thumbsup:

I had a similar problem with my old S3 after hitting a rather large pot hole or should a say crator in the road. Turns out it was alignment and Audi had it sorted in a day!!

Of course Mark, this was a reference to your driving skills and the fact that if the car was made or cardboard you'd have found out already.

Thank you finchy256, I am thinking the same. There are a couple of nasty potholes on the portion of A road I drive to work. I don't think I am taking the speed bumps fast enough for them to be the reason but hey, on my previous car, at each MOT I had the CV gaitors to change...

Tell me something please, when you had this vibration, was it intermittent (currently it is for me) or was it permanent once a certain speed was reached?

Peculiar harmonics can be created in the car Stephane IF a wheel and/or tyre and/or wheel mis-alignment exists. Please stop worrying and get that fabulous RS3 of yours (ok, the steering wheel seems to have changed sides :meeting:) to a dealer and get it checked! I'll lay my money on mis-alignment and/or wheel/tyre balance.

Feel free to call me anytime to discuss

Enjoy the evening...

Reactions: Moschops and wickedstef
Just had the same issue with my Black Edition a3. It turned out it was the front wheels out of balance ever so slightly.

I know the exact feeling through the steering wheel. It just felt off and not like the usual wheel wobble when you know your wheels need balancing. The roads are so potholed and the ride being so hard I just kept putting it down to the car getting older. It was as if the wheel where balanced correctly in the centre so no left to right wobble but was out on the circumference.

Having said this my wife must have removed 50 grams of metal when she kerbed my rotors - silly cow !

Thank you finchy256, I am thinking the same. There are a couple of nasty potholes on the portion of A road I drive to work. I don't think I am taking the speed bumps fast enough for them to be the reason but hey, on my previous car, at each MOT I had the CV gaitors to change...

Tell me something please, when you had this vibration, was it intermittent (currently it is for me) or was it permanent once a certain speed was reached?

It was intermittent but I did notice it a lot more on the motorway at over 60, made my steering wheel point slightly to the right after the incident as well. I know you'll probably get it done under warranty but it's also worth writing to your local council if any damage has been sustained to your alloy/tyre. They are covered for these cases and pay out without much argument, well, that's Bolton council anyway! Thought I'd be the only Stefan on the site to haha! :thumbsup:

I hit a pothole last week and I've had similar vibrations / slight pulling ever since. Sometimes when I accelerate it happens and other times during braking....?? I've checked the tyre pressures and they seem fine.

Does this sound like a tracking issue? or possibly wheel balance has been knocked off? No damage to the wheel itself so hopefully Audi with check everything and adjust FOC.

Reactions: 45bvtc and wickedstef
Thank you all guys, I think we have a common pattern here and it will probably be a combination of all the above. Car is booked and they will also change the brakes for the squeal issue.

Had this a few weeks back. Slight wobble/vibrations through the steering when accelerating. Got the wheels rebalanced - 15g light on the front apparently. All good again now. Hope you get it sorted!

Reactions: 45bvtc, MBK, Moschops and 1 other person
Car is with the dealer until tomorrow for vibration and brakes. Soon new brakes and I also asked to find out if the Audi standard TPMS is compatible with the ABS module fitted on the RS3

Brakes were promised, brakes didn't get delivered. How surprising...

Hmm...yet more shocking service from a supposed premium brand I hope you made your feelings known to the right people and they are sorting this out for you.

Audi customer service told me "the brakes were sent to the wrong dealership". My translation is "they sent them to someone who shouted louder than I did".

You remember my front tyres pictures ? Well I have to change them after 4800 miles :-/. The sides are "about" to peel off (sideburns in too many areas). The mastertech believes this is not really due to my driving (they are RO2 tyres so basically race tyres) and they shouldn't be doing this. He suggested to have them sent to Audi. I am going for Contis again because of the RO2 rating. Mark (michelin) and the others (goodyear) I would suggest you to check yours for this rating. It's written on the side with the rest of the info. They strongly advised against going for anything not RO2. They price matched my usual tyres provider so I went with the dealership.

They will send my old ones back to Audi, but I still have to cough the cash upfront with a hope for a refund from Continental.

Brakes will be done next week. The dealership is so far quite good, but I will withhold their name for now.

Alignment was slightly off on the offside front. It needed fixing. It will be redone with the new fronts as apparently the car goes a bit on the right when not holding the steering wheel. The mastertech is convinced that the tyres are responsible, he hates them and is convinced they are defective.

HOLD ON in there Stephane... it will be worth the effort... :yes:

PS: I've booked my brake upgrade for September, same as my 2nd service.

And am I 100% confident? :shrug:

Oh and they completed recall 39E1. No idea what this is, maybe the launch control thingy?

Oh and they completed recall 39E1. No idea what this is, maybe the launch control thingy?

Here you go wickedstef: 39E1 is the Haldex update

Unfortunately, the answers to these 'update' issues are now getting somewhat fragmented but I did post the list earlier, so go look at the following threads:

1) Software update thread (full list): See Post #3

2) Off to have the brakes fixed thread (input from Audi UK): See Post #170

Hi Stephane, I've PM'd you a few thoughts but a couple of points I think would be useful to others:

RO2 rating is just an Audi brand approval rating like N for Porsche approved tyres and a different set of letters for just about every brand. I'm afraid that is all just marketing fluff and to keep you buying what they approve - you'll find an approved oil, cleaning products just about everything if you look in the handbook and dealership product line up.

This is in my opinion some very naughty advice from Audi. How do they know the tyre sideburns are about to peel off? Your tyre pictures were perfectly legal and far from any danger, it was a few small pieces of missing rubber.

The tyre ratings and more importantly tyre tests are the places to look and the F1's and MPSS win out.

As for RO2 = 'race' tyre, if they said that it's shocking, the Conti 5P is an average premium brand road tyre and nothing more.

Sorry to say I think the dealer is taking you for a ride here.

John, thank you for the info about the update. Would you know what this does? Is it the one to stop people doing launch control with ESP off? If so, how do you launch now (have yet to try it)?

Mark, thank you for the PM and explanations. I replied. To be fair, I can lift portions where the thread meet with the side (ie the part were the info about the tyre is). This can't be good surely?

John, thank you for the info about the update. Would you know what this does? Is it the one to stop people doing launch control with ESP off? If so, how do you launch now (have yet to try it)?

Not sure as I've only read what others have posted elsewhere and opinions vary...

Suggest a PM to Vito, as Vito does appear to be a regular user of the launch-control feature :yes: but NOT when his wife's with 'im!
:whistle2:

The Haldex update doen't disable launch control with ESP Sport Mode on. It looks like it rerdistributes the power and alters the cycles to protect the prop a little more than it did but it still works.

Reactions: 45bvtc, wickedstef and MBK