Chris NottBadger5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 50
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Afternoon with the mad professor!!

  1. #1
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Planet Claire
    Posts
    258

    Afternoon with the mad professor!!

    Spent the afternoon with John 45BVTC as it was time to sort out those yucky looking rear hubs!!

    Before.



    [/URL]

    [/URL]



    After rub down, clean and a coat of clear POR-51


    [/URL]



    [[/URL]



    Wheels also cleaned and protected.


    [/URL]



    [/URL]



    [/URL]



    [/URL]

    [/URL]



    Bluey and Bright Bluey..


    [/URL]



    [/URL]



    A big thanks to the Professor AKA John and his good lady for the tea and banter.
    L1ARR, Ghost, finchy256 and 5 others like this.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Sandra's Avatar
    MODERATOR

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    15,369
    Looking good and glad you had a nice day with john and Judith. x
    45bvtc and Moschops like this.
    Audi-sport.net Lanyards & Stickers
    To find Audi-Sport-Net members with VCDS check out the MAP


  4. #3
    Kelza's Avatar
    MODERATOR

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    2,538
    Great job ,i may need to do this,need a good trolley jack first

  5. #4
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Planet Claire
    Posts
    258
    John had a couple he purchased from Machine mart, just the dogs wotsits...
    45bvtc likes this.

  6. #5
    Kelza's Avatar
    MODERATOR

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    2,538
    Defo need one as i have used the wheel jack in the boot ,and it was a total mission...

  7. #6
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Planet Claire
    Posts
    258
    45bvtc and monkeyboy_marcus like this.

  8. #7
    Kelza's Avatar
    MODERATOR

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    2,538
    Thank u

  9. #8
    monkeyboy_marcus's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sevenoaks, Kent
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by RS3-KEL View Post
    Defo need one as i have used the wheel jack in the boot ,and it was a total mission...
    I have trolley jack envy too but no garage!

    Correction - I have now ordered one but still have no garage!!
    Last edited by monkeyboy_marcus; 4th June 2013 at 01:24.

  10. #9
    45bvtc's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    1,282
    Advice from "the mad professor"

    I actually use two of these jacks (both from Machine Mart) and not one (sorry).



    The reason: as the RS3 (and our TT) are both Quattro then one FRONT wheel on it's own is difficult to rotate, however with two jacks and lifting both FRONT wheels off the ground then the FRONT wheels are easy to rotate.

    Does NOT apply to the REAR wheels, the REAR wheels will rotate easily on there own.

    You'll also need to make two adaptors, one for each jack. I used a piece of 25mm thick x 75mm wide x 140mm long timber as the base, adding a piece of 25mm thick x 35mm wide x 80mm long timber to the top (ok I actually used 20mm thick timber with a piece of 5mm thick rubber sheet but that really isn't necessary). These adaptors fit into the recesses provided under the RS3 for lifting (not required for the TT)



    Tools: 1) I use a 1/2" drive breaker bar with a stub-extension and a 17mm socket to undo the wheel bolts, and 2) VERY IMPORTANT I use a 1/2" drive torque wrench (set to 120 Nm (89 lbf ft)) with stub-extension and a 17mm socket to tighten the wheel bolts.



    Hope this helps…
    monkeyboy_marcus likes this.

  11. #10
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    14,968
    Looks good and worth doing but how long do they last?

    Hubs always seem to rust really quickly.

    New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

  12. #11
    45bvtc's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    1,282
    Did mine November 2011 ScottB5: if I didn't believe this to be a simple and effective solution then I certainly would not advocate the process for others... BLUEY's very content with the application...

  13. #12
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    14,968
    Quote Originally Posted by 45bvtc View Post
    Did mine November 2011 ScottB5: if I didn't believe this to be a simple and effective solution then I certainly would not advocate the process for others... BLUEY's very content with the application...
    It works, they last.
    That's all what matters and all I was wondering about.
    45bvtc likes this.

    New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

  14. #13
    MBK
    MBK's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Neath
    Posts
    1,155
    Impressive results once again John and your two cars look great together!

  15. #14
    CarrG's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    260
    Your a star fair play John.

    Nice trolley jacks but I'm too tight for that my old skool 4.5t has been with me before I owned a car 17yrs ago.
    45bvtc likes this.
    Ibis RS3 - Buckets - Bose - Black Ed - Privacy - New Brakes
    VW California GP 180 DSG "Candy"

  16. #15
    monkeyboy_marcus's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sevenoaks, Kent
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by 45bvtc View Post
    Advice from "the mad professor"

    I actually use two of these jacks (both from Machine Mart) and not one (sorry).



    The reason: as the RS3 (and our TT) are both Quattro then one FRONT wheel on it's own is difficult to rotate, however with two jacks and lifting both FRONT wheels off the ground then the FRONT wheels are easy to rotate.

    Does NOT apply to the REAR wheels, the REAR wheels will rotate easily on there own.

    You'll also need to make two adaptors, one for each jack. I used a piece of 25mm thick x 75mm wide x 140mm long timber as the base, adding a piece of 25mm thick x 35mm wide x 80mm long timber to the top (ok I actually used 20mm thick timber with a piece of 5mm thick rubber sheet but that really isn't necessary). These adaptors fit into the recesses provided under the RS3 for lifting (not required for the TT)



    Tools: 1) I use a 1/2" drive breaker bar with a stub-extension and a 17mm socket to undo the wheel bolts, and 2) VERY IMPORTANT I use a 1/2" drive torque wrench (set to 120 Nm (89 lbf ft)) with stub-extension and a 17mm socket to tighten the wheel bolts.



    Hope this helps…
    Thanks John, always useful feedback!

    I can't justify two trolley jacks, so will lift the side of the car I'm not working on just off the ground with the car jack. Hopefully I can find some old timber around the place to make an adaptor.

    Regarding the wheel nuts and breaker bar/torque wrench, why can't a tyre iron be used? Is this just an easier option? I will have to look in the boot and see what came with the car so may answer my own questions shortly!

  17. #16
    45bvtc's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    1,282
    Hey Marcus...

    I'm just saying what I do...

    The LAST think I want is for anyone to get hurt 'messing' with wheels and tyres and brakes... And you've now a little one to think of, too!

    I've an open door to anyone, with an RS3 who comes my way; I'm ALWAYS willing to help, BUT SAFELY!

  18. #17
    Veneeringman's Avatar
    Bazinga

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Back in the UK
    Posts
    613
    I totally agree, and I'm looking at buying an RS3 so don't actually own one yet, but john has always time for my numerous emailed questions and advice.
    45bvtc likes this.
    2012 Misano Red RS3 / Bucket seats Heated front & Rear / Aluminium Styling Pack / Bose / RNS-E / Bluetooth / Mobile phone prep low / AMI / Reversing Sensors / LED number plate lights / Led interior light pack / VCDS / Cruise Control / Exclusive Inlays / Auto Lights & Wipers / 8.5J fronts / extended leather / Michelin Pilot super sport tyres / and a few other things

  19. #18
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by 45bvtc View Post
    Hey Marcus...

    I'm just saying what I do...

    The LAST think I want is for anyone to get hurt 'messing' with wheels and tyres and brakes... And you've now a little one to think of, too!

    I've an open door to anyone, with an RS3 who comes my way; I'm ALWAYS willing to help, BUT SAFELY!
    John.....is it true your moving up my way to Glasgow or was I just dreaming ;-)
    45bvtc likes this.
    NOW...another similar RS3?!? ...Phantom Black RS3 with Buckets, folding auto dim mirrors, privacy glass, Bose, Alu inlays, light & rain sensor pack, black exhaust tips and now Scorpion decat pipes and MPSS rubber!

    REFUNDED - Phantom Black RS3 with Buckets, folding auto dim mirrors, privacy glass, Bose, Alu inlays, light and rain sensor pack.

    GONE - S3 SB BE - '10 plate in Ibis with Buckets; RNS-E; tech & comfort pack; Revo stage 1; Milltek TBE; BBS CK 19's in Anthracite on Asseymetric rubber!

  20. #19
    Kelza's Avatar
    MODERATOR

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    2,538
    Elton ,,Id say that was a dream.....

  21. #20
    monkeyboy_marcus's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sevenoaks, Kent
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by 45bvtc View Post
    Hey Marcus...

    I'm just saying what I do...

    The LAST think I want is for anyone to get hurt 'messing' with wheels and tyres and brakes... And you've now a little one to think of, too!

    I've an open door to anyone, with an RS3 who comes my way; I'm ALWAYS willing to help, BUT SAFELY!
    No worries John, I'll let you know how I get on with the wheels tomorrow. I've considered the 360 mile round trip, I really have!

    Had a good go at the paintwork today, Iron-x, pressure washer, auto glym shampoo, sonax clay and spray, shampoo again... ran out of time for the sonax protect and shine stuff but will apply in the AM. Never clayed a car before and I'm very impressed with the result so far, although the sun was setting so we'll see how she looks by daylight and post some photos!
    45bvtc likes this.

  22. #21
    45bvtc's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    1,282
    Thanks guys, I'm feeling very humble here...
    wickedstef likes this.

  23. #22
    45bvtc's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    1,282
    Quote Originally Posted by elton121272 View Post
    John.....is it true your moving up my way to Glasgow or was I just dreaming ;-)

    RS3-KEL is right elton, it's just your dream... but thank you, I appreciate your humour/dream.

    My dream however is of morning rolls, fish suppers, pokey hats and/or double nuggets on the beach in Saltcoats and Largs...

    Am I right Sandra?

    Plus a visit to MK0 in Kilwinning...
    Sandra and Kelza like this.

  24. #23
    Sandra's Avatar
    MODERATOR

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    15,369
    Quote Originally Posted by 45bvtc View Post

    RS3-KEL is right elton, it's just your dream... but thank you, I appreciate your humour/dream.

    My dream however is of morning rolls, fish suppers, pokey hats and/or double nuggets on the beach in Saltcoats and Largs...

    Am I right Sandra?

    Plus a visit to MK0 in Kilwinning...
    You sure are John. Look forward to your visit, i will take you and Judith out for lunch and a trip to all the places you miss so much. x
    Audi-sport.net Lanyards & Stickers
    To find Audi-Sport-Net members with VCDS check out the MAP


  25. #24
    45bvtc's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    1,282

    Lifting with the troley jack and adaptor block:

    Here's where I lift Marcus - and for others:

    At the FRONT and in-line with the detent in the sill:



    and at the REAR again in-line with the detent in the sill:

    monkeyboy_marcus likes this.

  26. #25
    P_G
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    339
    John,

    In your second picture the circular rubber piece is the jacking point and similarly there are ones at the front like this? I see however your trolley jacks have flat pads rather than clawed ones so I guess there could be a risk the car could slide off.

    BTW the POR-15 you have, what size tin did you get as I can only find 375ml+ sizes and for what is needed that's a heel of a lot of product to have left over!

  27. #26
    monkeyboy_marcus's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sevenoaks, Kent
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by P_G View Post
    John,

    In your second picture the circular rubber piece is the jacking point and similarly there are ones at the front like this? I see however your trolley jacks have flat pads rather than clawed ones so I guess there could be a risk the car could slide off.
    That is what I thought they were from a bit of internet research. Apparently they are designed for four-point jacking and single-point could potentially cause some damage, although probably only if you were elevating the car considerably and maybe not if just removing the wheel for a short time. I'll be trying this out later as part of my Friday night fun (new born baby and toddler at home!).

  28. #27
    45bvtc's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    1,282
    Ref: "the circular rubber piece is the jacking point"

    I don't think so but I'm willing to be wrong. However, if those circular rubber pieces are jacking points then the jack in the boot of my RS3 won't fit 'em!

    Like so:




    But I, and whoever put this jack in the boot of my car (Bluey), maybe wrong

    On the other hand, consider chassis alignment pick-up points, maybe?

    PS, here's another clue: see page 162 of the RS3 Owner's Manual where it states: "Locate the jacking point under the door sill closest to the wheel being changed. Wind up the jack under the jacking point until the claw of the jack is directly below the vertical rib under the door sill". You can read the rest….

    Ref: "so I guess there could be a risk the car could slide off"

    True, but I don't have, nor ever have, had a problem in 41-years of servicing cars.

    I do have a problem however when I have a car on jacks, and I'm underneath, and someone opens the bl##dy door to get his fags out - which is what another RS3 owner is referring to when I got excited : and is the main reason inexperienced 'owners' are kept OUT of the workshop...

    Ref: " POR-15 you have, what size tin did you get".

    POR15 'clear' is listed in 2-sizes:
    #P230 is 473mm. and
    #P235 is 946ml

    #P230 is as much as you need, as shown on Page 51 of the 2012 winter FROST catalogue (sorry, I've already given away the summer catalogue…).

    Hope this helps and saves you money...

  29. #28
    Kelza's Avatar
    MODERATOR

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    2,538
    Hi john that jack is pants , mine slipped under the car, was a nightmare to try get the jack back off ,never again! Sorry rant over ..

  30. #29
    Kelza's Avatar
    MODERATOR

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    2,538
    Be nice if i could find a light weight trolley jack that fits in the boot ..

  31. #30
    45bvtc's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    1,282
    Quote Originally Posted by RS3-KEL View Post
    Hi john that jack is pants , mine slipped under the car, was a nightmare to try get the jack back off ,never again! Sorry rant over ..
    It is!!! John. And I've now got to get it back in the bl##dy boot having taken it out to 'demonstrate' my point...
    Kelza and monkeyboy_marcus like this.

  32. #31
    Kelza's Avatar
    MODERATOR

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    2,538
    Think i broke mine ,hate the thing ..

  33. #32
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Planet Claire
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by 45bvtc View Post
    It is!!! John. And I've now got to get it back in the bl##dy boot having taken it out to 'demonstrate' my point...
    Lol......

    Was taught when I first joined the services and was under going my "technical Training", always use the right tool for the job!!! or as the instructor quoted, "If I catch you using the wrong tool I'll shove it where the sun don' shine..." Point got across.

    Your instructions and demo's John are always helpful and a mine of information, please keep up your infectious tutorage....
    45bvtc likes this.

  34. #33
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Planet Claire
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by P_G View Post
    John,

    In your second picture the circular rubber piece is the jacking point and similarly there are ones at the front like this? I see however your trolley jacks have flat pads rather than clawed ones so I guess there could be a risk the car could slide off.

    BTW the POR-15 you have, what size tin did you get as I can only find 375ml+ sizes and for what is needed that's a heel of a lot of product to have left over!
    I bought the large one, it will always come in handy for something else or another car...just need to decant it now in into small jars as the tin won't last long being opened and closed all the time...as quoted by the "MP" himself...
    It will end up looking like it's been chewed by a Stegosaurus...

  35. #34
    monkeyboy_marcus's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sevenoaks, Kent
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by RS3-KEL View Post
    Think i broke mine ,hate the thing ..
    Got the 1.25t trolley jack fro Machine Mart - now just trying to figure out where to stick it!

    Only 10kg and would easily fit in the boot...

  36. #35
    monkeyboy_marcus's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sevenoaks, Kent
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by 45bvtc View Post
    Ref: "the circular rubber piece is the jacking point"

    I don't think so but I'm willing to be wrong. However, if those circular rubber pieces are jacking points then the jack in the boot of my RS3 won't fit 'em!

    Like so:




    But I, and whoever put this jack in the boot of my car (Bluey), maybe wrong

    On the other hand, consider chassis alignment pick-up points, maybe?
    I don't think that the circular rubber bits are THE jacking points for the car jack in the boot but they may be designed as jacking points for another sort of jack. See this video for info: High Definition Video: VW/Audi Jack Pad Adapter

  37. #36
    P_G
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    339
    There are two jacking points on ever corner, one for your boot jack and one for the Audi ramps which you can also use for trolley jacks at home.
    monkeyboy_marcus likes this.

  38. #37
    monkeyboy_marcus's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sevenoaks, Kent
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by P_G View Post
    There are two jacking points on ever corner, one for your boot jack and one for the Audi ramps which you can also use for trolley jacks at home.
    Yep!

    Just been speaking to these guys about jacking points and adaptors ECS Volkswagen & Audi Jack Pad Adapter > Maintenance > S3 8P/Mk2 > AUDI A3/S3 > VAG Specialists > PSI Tuning - VW Specialists - looks like you would have to replace the existing bungs with different ones for the adaptors to sit snug at a cost of £2.50/unit plus £20.00 for the adaptor itself. I'll test it later but for wheel removal the angle is not really such that you'd expect slippage off the rubber-clad trolley jack plate...
    45bvtc likes this.

  39. #38
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    154
    Audi already appears to have these bungs and lift points, the difference being that it is a hex plug rather than a round plug as shown in the ECS kit. So the obvious question would be is there an Audi adapter that fits the existing lift point that could be obtained?

  40. #39
    monkeyboy_marcus's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sevenoaks, Kent
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by S3DBW View Post
    Audi already appears to have these bungs and lift points, the difference being that it is a hex plug rather than a round plug as shown in the ECS kit. So the obvious question would be is there an Audi adapter that fits the existing lift point that could be obtained?
    Indeed! Have asked the question of the Coulsdon Audi workshop manager and will feedback his response next week...

  41. #40
    monkeyboy_marcus's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sevenoaks, Kent
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by P_G View Post
    John,

    In your second picture the circular rubber piece is the jacking point and similarly there are ones at the front like this? I see however your trolley jacks have flat pads rather than clawed ones so I guess there could be a risk the car could slide off.

    BTW the POR-15 you have, what size tin did you get as I can only find 375ml+ sizes and for what is needed that's a heel of a lot of product to have left over!
    Want to go 50/50 on a tin? I agree, there would be a lot of wastage otherwise...

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Problems with the car...
    By V1RDE in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 8th February 2004, 22:05
  2. Thank you to the man with the tow bar
    By PaulBelsham in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 6th November 2003, 17:00
  3. Brushes with the law
    By MushroomMan in forum General Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 6th May 2003, 13:18

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO