• 2 Post By klauster
  • 1 Post By Mr_Freeze
  • 4 Post By monkeyboy_marcus

Thread: Scorpion Cat Bypass pipes finally fitted

2nd Gear

Status

Scorpion Cat Bypass pipes finally fitted

Lightning got her first upgrade!

KKM, Sandra, 45bvtc and 1 others like this.

One of 750 RS3, Ibis White, Buckets, Privacy glass, Black styling, Cruise control, Bose, Scorpion Cat Back Non-Resonated exhaust system.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    ​Tidy job. x
    Audi-sport.net Lanyards & Stickers
    To find Audi-Sport-Net members with VCDS check out the MAP

Reverse Gear

Status
    Did you have to remap having removed cats? And what kind of power gain does this give?

Regards Bob

5th Gear

Status

Procedure: secondary cat by-pass pipe fitting

Proper job Neil, I'll post this now for others...

1) Using a 13mm ring spanner carefully remove the 6-nuts holding the cat-pipes to the down pipes

Make sure to spray the studs with WD40 or similar lubricant as the studs are mild steel and secured to the cat-pipes

2) Using a 13mm ring spanner release the 4-nuts from the connecting-sleeves securing the cat-pipes to the primary silencer

3) Carefully slide each connecting-sleeve forward and onto its respective cat-pipe

4) Carefully remove both cat-pipes with the gaskets and the connecting sleeves

5) Carefully remove the metal gaskets from the cat-pipes: use a thin broad blade or similar so as not to damage the gaskets

6) You'll have noticed that the nuts on the connecting-sleeves were uppermost when you removed them; this is not good engineering practice as if the nut were to unscrew then the likelihood is that you'd loose both the nut and the screw so, when refitting, change the connecting-sleeves over so that the nuts are on the underside (hope this makes sense…)

7) Slide the original nearside connecting-sleeve onto the offside bypass pipe (securing nuts down)

8) Using the original metal gasket without sealant, assemble the offside bypass pipe to the offside down pipe: use stainless steel nuts and bolts where possible and make sure to coat the threads of ALL bolts with Copperslip or similar anti-seize grease

9) Slide the connecting-sleeve on to the offside primary silencer pipe and pinch tighten both nuts and bolts (make sure you've applied Copperslip to the threads)

10) Keep checking the alignment and tighten all 5-nuts and bolts to complete

11) Use exactly the same procedure (7 to 10) and assemble the nearside bypass pipe

12) Double check alignments and tightness of the fastenings

The tools:

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by 45bvtc; 1st June 2013 at 11:15.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bobededog View Post
    Did you have to remap having removed cats? And what kind of power gain does this give?

Regards Bob
    No remap needed as the sensors are before the cat's.

I will report back how she feels after a few days driving.

The power gains are not expected to be much maybe realistically a couple at most, silly figures of 10-15bhp would be silly.

Others report the car rev's more freely and of course it will growl just a little deeper when pushed.

Going out to play
    monkeyboy_marcus likes this.

One of 750 RS3, Ibis White, Buckets, Privacy glass, Black styling, Cruise control, Bose, Scorpion Cat Back Non-Resonated exhaust system.

Status
    Great job that john and mr_freeze

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 45bvtc View Post
    Proper job Neil, I'll post this now for others...

1) Using a 13mm ring spanner carefully remove the 6-nuts holding the cat-pipes to the down pipes

Make sure to spray the studs with WD40 or similar lubricant as the studs are mild steel and secured to the cat-pipes

2) Using a 13mm ring spanner release the 4-nuts from the connecting-sleeves securing the cat-pipes to the primary silencer

3) Carefully slide each connecting-sleeve forward and onto its respective cat-pipe

4) Carefully remove both cat-pipes with the gaskets and the connecting sleeves

5) Carefully remove the metal gaskets from the cat-pipes: use a thin broad blade or similar so as not to damage the gaskets

6) You'll have noticed that the nuts on the connecting-sleeves were uppermost when you removed them; this is not good engineering practice as if the nut were to unscrew then the likelihood is that you'd loose both the nut and the screw so, when refitting, change the connecting-sleeves over so that the nuts are on the underside (hope this makes sense…)

7) Slide the original nearside connecting-sleeve onto the offside bypass pipe (securing nuts down)

8) Using the original metal gasket without sealant, assemble the offside bypass pipe to the offside down pipe: use stainless steel nuts and bolts where possible and make sure to coat the threads of ALL bolts with Copperslip or similar anti-seize grease

9) Slide the connecting-sleeve on to the offside primary silencer pipe and pinch tighten both nuts and bolts (make sure you've applied Copperslip to the threads)

10) Keep checking the alignment and tighten all 5-nuts and bolts to complete

11) Use exactly the same procedure (7 to 10) and assemble the nearside bypass pipe

12) Double check alignments and tightness of the fastenings

The tools:

[IMG][/IMG]

The easier option is to go down to Cannock to see a certain John and let him do it, just make sure you have a couple of litres of Sangiovese fuel with you.

BEWARE : avoid stepping on his toes while is doing the work , sorry I meant watch out for flying spanners...
    Last edited by Vito; 1st June 2013 at 20:54.
    45bvtc likes this.

5th Gear

Status
    Thank you Vito for your kind words...

PS, my 1972 Lotus Europa did sell yesterday and will soon be off to a very good family and home just South of AUDI UK...

Is it me?
    Moschops and Vito like this.

2nd Gear

Status
    John did graciously offer to do the swap over for me, but due to the distance involved i found a local alternative.

I feel that at some point in the future i will make the trip to casa del Bluey, if for nothing else but to check out his garage, but not this weekend,
    45bvtc and Moschops like this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Well i had a nice little drive yesterday that involved a spirited section or 2.

I don't know whether this is just a physcological response to the extra sound, but it definately feels like it rev's better, more crisper and slightly faster (Again it could be just in my head........Mark step in anytime and disect me).

So round town, no real noticable difference, but open her up and a definate deeper growl and a more pronounced "BRRRUUPP" on the upshift when pressed hard.

Verdict, not an expensive option but gives a pleasing result. VFM.
    45bvtc and MBK like this.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Freeze View Post

I don't know whether this is just a physcological response to the extra sound, but it definately feels like it rev's better, more crisper and slightly faster (Again it could be just in my head........Mark step in anytime and disect me).

So round town, no real noticable difference, but open her up and a definate deeper growl and a more pronounced "BRRRUUPP" on the upshift when pressed hard.

Oh yes! Yes, yes, yes!

Same on mine Neil, even Moschops said the same while driving mine (BLUEY)...

Uncanny for a turbo/inter-cooled engine but it does seam to breath better/freer somehow.

As for the noise, best not go there as I'm still utterly besotted by the noise both up and down the box…

And thank you for your kind words too…
    Moschops and Mr_Freeze like this.

1st Gear

Status
    Yes I agree Neil, having driven Bluey the other week, it breathes more easily and sounds nice on the upshift..

Do i or don't i.......Hmmmmmm
    45bvtc and Mr_Freeze like this.

MBK
    5th Gear

Status

I'm completely positive about the secondary decat pipes. I think there are two different things to think about. One is effect (what the mod does) and the other id affect (how the mod changes how you think and drive).

Effect - almost certainly some reduction in back pressure from the turbo and enough to feel a little more throttle response for sure. More performance, probably a small increase with learning ECUs and all that. There is more growl and deeper roar with decat pipes. We heard several pass from the side of the road at the meet and it's a noticable difference, well within the normal range of exhausts and at the same time good.

Affect - I think the added sound has a big influence on how you drive and how you feel about the drive. You like the sound and so you want to experience it more often. That in turn gives you more reason to enjoy the car. The sound makes you feel like you are going faster (you may well be). As a result you enjoy the car more...

All in all a great mod for a reasonable price.

1st Gear

Status
    Is that true:

http://www.scorpion-exhausts.com/sit...rs3%20dyno.jpg

How much is the full line?

Status
    Full milltek is 2k plus so id say the scorpion is around that price ,could be cheaper ..

1st Gear

Status
    Cheers RS3-KEL

Do you trust the figures? I would have thought that stock is a bit higher to start with. If it's really 30-40bhp, that's good as there is no remap and potentially no warranty issues?

And does the full line push the car to the next emission tax band?
    Last edited by wickedstef; 3rd June 2013 at 16:39.

2nd Gear

Status
    This is the list price of their kit. Most retailers will offer you between 10 -15% off.

As you will see the full systems are recommended that a remap take place due to management light been activated, so i would assume its more than just a system change to get to the quoted figure..

The comment is however wrong regarding the Cat Bypass pipes, as the management light is not activated.

1st Gear

Status
    Thank you Neil!

5th Gear

Status
    I am glad you lot have seen the light with the secondary CAT bypass.... I feel somewhat responsible
    45bvtc and monkeyboy_marcus like this.
    www.SubZerosystems.co.uk - IT Consultancy

2nd Gear

Status
    Veneeringman likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by klauster View Post
    I am glad you lot have seen the light with the secondary CAT bypass.... I feel somewhat responsible
    Just ordered the pipes - due delivery Friday, fitting next Wednesday. Thanks for the detailed instructions John! Looking forward to the results of my first mod...

Not notified the insurer yet - any experience with DL?

KKM
    Neutral

Status
    Pipes fitted today, brilliant mod! Much better note! On both up and downshifts!!
    RS3 Suzuka Grey - Black optic pack

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by KKM View Post
    Pipes fitted today, brilliant mod! Much better note! On both up and downshifts!!
    Scorpion or Miltek?

KKM
    Neutral

Status
    Scorpion or Miltek?
    Milltek......
    RS3 Suzuka Grey - Black optic pack

Reverse Gear

Status
    Milltek sounds to croaky ..