Is it possible to....

P_G

Reaction score
......polish black chrome exhausts back to chrome? As sad as it sounds I had some deep scratches from stones on the exhaust tips. I have the black pack and therefore black exhausts so used a machine polisher on them to take the scratches out and they are either so clean now they shine more than they ever have done previously or I have polished them back to chrome. Just wondered how the black chrome finish was applied to them?

Polish black chrome exhausts back to chrome? Erm, no. I doubt very much they were originally chrome.

Just wondered how the black chrome finish was applied to them? Powder coat.

Choices: 1) leave them alone; 2) buy a new pair of black tail pipes from Audi, 3) buy a new pair of chrome tail pipes from Audi, 4) write to Catnip as he may (still) have a chrome pair, 5) remove both and send them away for re-powder coating black, or 6) remove both and send them away for chrome plating.

Note: to remove... you'd best PM me if you need to know...

Last edited:
Well, they are pretty poorly done because I have compared pics of them when I got the car and what I have now and

First day....

P1010003.jpg

Present Day....

P1010202_zps52bebfb1.jpg

P1010198_zpsc0e14c8d.jpg

P1010199_zps464b64f6.jpg

If you can PM me removal details John they would be much appreciated as a new set is looking likely to be purchased tomorrow from TPS. Will have to find something else to clean them with rather than Autosol or Menzerna RD 3.02

Last edited:
Go back to Audi, they should replace under warranty!!!

They doesn't look right Graeme :) how long did you polish em for?

On a side note, does this mean I can change my exhaust ends to black?

Cleaned them up for a couple of minutes with Autosol and then a hit with a machine polisher with RD 3.02.

I'll never get them replaced on warranty.

Last edited: