Off to have the brakes fixed

Macdaddy

Reaction score
That's the RS3 dropped off and the S4 courtesy car picked up!

My cars being taken down to the Milton Keynes Audi technical centre to have the first "brake fix" in the UK applied.

It's not been released to the general public as yet as Audi want to try and roll out a full fix program in the next few weeks.

im still waiting to have confirmed full details but it looks like its calipers and pads .... No discs!!

Fingers crossed and I'll update as soon as I know anything further.

Reactions: 45bvtc
Good luck. Typical as I have just cleaned sealed my calipers in C5, what a waste! But then this all may be in time for my first service in a couple of months.

I've got the C5 sat waiting to do the wheels when it returns.... Hopefully with fresh clean calipers too !

Had it sat there for 6 months, just been to lazy to take the wheels off

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. So how long is it gonna take the Milton Keynes Audi Technical Centre to change yer brake calipers, pads and discs? MBK and a man in a white van did it in a couple of hours outdoors

Reactions: 45bvtc and MBK
Might be some cheap brembo calipers up for sale ....... 750 sets lol

Might be some cheap brembo calipers up for sale ....... 750 sets lol
The SAD part is that a set of £4.99 shims off eBay, plus 1.1/2 hours work - even for a senile, arthritic, grumpy, old age pensioner, on a daily infusion of 'red' plonk (oh yes, that's me! lol) - to fit, sorts the f*****g problem.

Even sadder that a whole load of so called technicians at the 'famed' Milton Keynes Audi Technical Centre are taking so long to apply, and evaluate, a 'fix'?

Macdaddy says: "I was told up to two weeks". Fer f**k sake!

And at what costs to resolve a basic problem?

It's just pathetic! Just pathetic!

I know I might have said this before to the Sanders and Co., in Milton Keynes but it really is ridiculous. No, not ridiculous! It is PATHETIC!

Audi have sold us a 35 to 50K car! Hello! And these are the same guys that are promoting the next generation RS3/4/5/6. I mean, why would you? You can't brake in town without scaring the shoppers! Why would you? Ok, the open road - yeah! Ok! So let's just handbrake from 5 to 0mph and flick on the rear lights as a slowing-down warning, that'll do it (Sander and Co., please note!)

Having reported my own brake squeal on 3rd February 2012 and still nowt positive (ok, an invite (maybe) to Goodwood) from Audi UK or otherwise: - I just hope nothing serious goes wrong with my car - like the windscreen wiper parking in the wrong place… Oh sh*t!

Rant over… and with a £4.99 fix, my brakes still don't squeal!

Ah! That's better… I feel much better now, with very, very silent but effective, brakes...

I kid you not, I have employed and sacked graduate automotive engineers... and these Audi guys do, for me, take the biscuit!

Last edited:
Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus, Vito and robbiemac
Nurse !!!!!!!!!!!! John's medications worn off again !!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Kelza, monkeyboy_marcus, 45bvtc and 1 other person
Had an email stating the "fix" has eradicated brake squeal and my car is being delivered back to Preston Audi today!

Hopefully tomorrow ill be able to let you all know if it has worked and indeed what's changed !!

Reactions: Vito, Chris-32T and 45bvtc
Will be interesting to see just what they have changed to eradicate the brake squeal issue. I've been one of the lucky few and never suffered with brake squeal myself. But atleast Audi have finally realised that there is an issue and hopefully you can get on with just enjoying the car for what it is.

Had an email stating the "fix" has eradicated brake squeal and my car is being delivered back to Preston Audi today!

Hopefully tomorrow ill be able to let you all know if it has worked and indeed what's changed !!
That really IS good news Macdaddy! :applaus:

Some detail on the 'fix' (calipers in particular) will be appreciated…
:readit:

Going to be a delay on its return...

They've found stone chips that weren't documented so its having those sorted!

oh and we've asked they look at the bumper/arch flaking paint while its there!

Last edited:
Reactions: wickedstef, PigPen and 45bvtc
Just popped down to inspect the car, Its had pads and i certainly would say calipers too! They are way to clean to be the old ones!

The design looks the same.

No discs though :sob:

Look forward to your feedback about the brakes sound/performance Macdaddy...

Just called Audi UK.

The brake fix is only a few weeks away, please be patient blah blah blah. Apparently they are checking stock levels before releasing the fix to the dealerships.

However, you will need to have a case open with Audi UK "to be the first to know", so if you have not registered the issue already, do so now.

No, called the mothership, Audi UK. Customer services guy checked with technical advisor (put me on hold, made some tea, came up with a story).

thanks for that, haven't had the car long, few squeaks here and there, will call tomorrow

The plan is to roll the fix out nationally in the next couple of weeks now they are satisfied it works.

The only delay is getting a shed load of parts delivered now for everyone!

I see on FB that the RS3 owners club are showing anti-vibration weights on the calipers and new pads, is that what yours has on it as well? It may be that they clean up the calipers before putting the weight on rather than completely new calipers unless the weight don't fit the old calipers resulting in a whole new set up?

I see on FB that the RS3 owners club are showing anti-vibration weights on the calipers and new pads, is that what yours has on it as well? It may be that they clean up the calipers before putting the weight on rather than completely new calipers unless the weight don't fit the old calipers resulting in a whole new set up?

https://www.facebook.com/audirs3oc - I didn't know about this page! Recognise some of the contributors though...

thats his!

Reactions: 45bvtc and Macdaddy
thats his!

See: breaks [sic] fix update, post #16

"Info from Germany today (9th April 2013) suggests your local Audi dealer are SOON gonna be hanging mini-weights off yer calipers; lay money on it now... BREMBO (bless 'em) provided a similar 'fix' for the Corvette, check it out..."

But now with a different image (thanking the RS3 Club for initial exposure):

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Vito
Have they mentioned anything about the delayed breaking in the wet ? Does the fix solve that problem as well ? And have shims been fitted as well ?

Last edited:
Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus and 45bvtc
Looks like new caliper carrier design as well....

Have they mentioned anything about the delayed breaking in the wet ? Does the fix solve that problem as well ? And have shims been fitted as well ?

I'll be very interested to know if the fix resolves this issue as it is quite unnerving not to have an instant braking response in very wet conditions and I've not experienced it in any other car than the RS3...

My RS3 has been back to the dealer to have a few bits and bobs sorted out. Needed a new RNSE, rattle in the dash, rubbing/grinding noise coming from front passenger wheel arch on full lock and wasn't happy with the brake performance.

Dealer could not understand what was causing the rubbing/grinding noise on full lock, after two days it seems that it was coming from faulty brake components and that I need to get the full monty changed on the fronts - discs, pads, calipers. So thinking to myself, I knew the brakes didn't feel right but had two days of being told by the dealer that nothing is wrong with the brake setup. Might be fluke, but reckon I was right all along. So they have to inform audi technical in Milton Keynes and get advice on changing the full brake setup. Just hope I get the new kit. The master technician still hasn't been given the official nod for the squeal recall.

Seems like I will just have to make do with the old girl for the weekend and get her out of the garage :yum:

IMG-20130407-WA0000_zpsae6f9d61.jpg

Last edited:
I received a phone call from Audi UK this afternoon and was told that they have tested the long awaited fix on two cars here in the UK, one is Macdaddy's and the other one is based somewhere in Scotland, they are happy with the results and within the next couple of weeks all the dealers will have the parts ready for everybody else's car.

Also I was told that the number of RS3's to be fixed amounts to 57 and if I am not wrong,( can't find the list anywhere, 45bvtc will know it for sure ) about 40 of these where listed on this forum, so I would like to say well done to all of us for sticking together and finally getting the result....:arco:

Reactions: Moschops, wickedstef and monkeyboy_marcus
Excellent. I haven't registered my car with Audi UK directly but a friend of mine works in the service department at Audi Preston (Stephen - top bloke) and he has me on 'the list' I understand.

Lucky you dbm, Tyneside Audi wouldn't register my car even though I told them to do their research and instead want it on Friday to try and simulate the brake squeal for themselves, strip it down to diagnose and send the data back to Audi. All after Carlisle Audi said they would register my case with Audi UK and did not. Looks like I'm going to have to go throug the pain of not having the car for no reason part from dealers not covering the basics.

Lucky you dbm, Tyneside Audi wouldn't register my car even though I told them to do their research and instead want it on Friday to try and simulate the brake squeal for themselves, strip it down to diagnose and send the data back to Audi. All after Carlisle Audi said they would register my case with Audi UK and did not. Looks like I'm going to have to go throug the pain of not having the car for no reason part from dealers not covering the basics.

To coin a phrase P_G "they cannot be serious".

It doesn't really matter whether you register you car with Tyneside Audi, Carlisle Audi, or Audi UK direct, just write to one and all and keep a copy of your correspondence.

For example, my car was supplied by Tyneside Audi (September 2011) to DK Engineering (Chorley Wood) from whom I purchased the car. I made sure Audi UK had me registered as the owner for warranty purposes, had my first service with Stafford Audi, and have written both to Audi UK (the MD, obviously) and Stafford Audi to register my car as one of those having brake squeal (3rd February 2012 @ 1315-miles) even though I have sorted the problem successfully (and £££'s cheaply) myself.

PM me with your email address P_G and I'll send you a copy of my fix/procedure; this same document is already with Audi UK, Stafford Audi, and other RS3 sufferers: at least Tyneside Audi will have a reference point.

That they claim not to know of the issue is taking the pi**.

I tried to register my issue with Audi UK, they said it had to be through a dealer. I contacted Carlisle Audi prior to the call with Audi Uk who said they would register it at the dealership and Audi UK and didn't; have lost confidence in them to the point I won't be taking my car to them for any work because of this and the hassle of travelling across the country to have the work done. Now Tyneside want it in because they won't register it as a complaint with Audi UK until they have looked at it. because they don't want to pay for it and not recover the cost from Audi UK and even spoke about passing the cost on to me! More to do with the service adviser than the franchise policy methinks.

It's a joke but I'll go along with it for the one day and then give them both barrells if they still try to fob me off. Given they couldn't even find my car on the Uk database initially and then had to take a note of my VIN twice after taking it down wrong the first time just gives you a flavour of the incompetence I'm going to have to put up with.

Is this a joke P_G ? When I first went to my dealer and told them about the problem, my car was registered with Audi UK as soon I finished talking about it, they didn't even ask me any questions. If I was you I would go a rant about it on their Audi UK FB page and see if they' re still coming up with all this crap, it worked for me and they even booked the car in with Preston Audi to have the temp. fix applied and now I am just waiting to know when to take it back in for the official fix

Otherwise you could ask dbm to seek some advice for you from is friend Stephen, and is true they are top guys at Preston Audi. Good luck.

It's a joke but I'll go along with it for the one day and then give them both barrells if they still try to fob me off. Given they couldn't even find my car on the Uk database initially and then had to take a note of my VIN twice after taking it down wrong the first time just gives you a flavour of the incompetence I'm going to have to put up with.

Ammunition for your meeting with Tyneside Audi…

On each and every car I've stripped (RS3 and TTRS) the brake pads are fast/seized in the brake caliper and have had to be knocked out. This is not good as the pads are unable to move freely in the caliper, especially 'away' from the brake disc.

On every car I've rebuilt I've made sure the pads are free and able to move and this has resulted (immediately) in 90% of the problem gone. Ok, I've backed this up with self-adhesive anti-squeal shims too, but tat was a later development, my first attempts at solving the problem did not include shims!

I still maintain the back-plates of the brake pads (not the friction material) are oversized and quickly seize in the caliper (at or around 1000-miles, generally).

Consider: on both calipers there's an anti-rattle spring plate fitted so obviously the design allowed for some 'free' movement of the pad within the caliper (I've never known a pad/caliper arrangement that doesn't). If this was not the case, then why fit an anti-rattle spring plate?

Enjoy the meeting…

And remember, an authorised Audi/Brembo fix is STILL being developed, but now Audi are using customer's cars…

Looks like new caliper carrier design as well....
Yes, this one (see post #26) has had NEW: brake discs, brake pads (now directional), brake calipers (with anti-vibration bobbins), and brake caliper support brackets.

P_G,

I am very surprised. I registered my complaint directly with Audi UK and they then asked where I would want it fixed...