Chris NottMonster Motorsport
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 80 of 231
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: Off to have the brakes fixed

  1. #41
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Planet Claire
    Posts
    256
    The sloppy service just gets worse doesn't it!!!!

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #42
    klauster's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,121
    I contacted Audi UK after having new pads fitted to prevent the squeal which actually made it worse!

    I need to get the car booked in again as I have a rather annoying rattle but I'm holding off on this until the break fix is out
    www.SubZerosystems.co.uk - IT Consultancy

  4. #43
    45bvtc's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    1,094
    Said it before: "A GREAT motorcar the RS3, being spoiled by incompetents, what a shame!"

  5. #44
    Daytona Grey RS3

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bracknell
    Posts
    35
    Spoke to Guildford Audi and they acknowledged that the brake fix with new parts are required and have had confirmation back from Audi technical. They cannot even order the parts till the 17th May so off to pick my car up until they have the parts ready.

  6. #45
    Morells's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hay-On-Wye
    Posts
    351
    Is the fix officially out then? As this guy has had his called in to Cardiff Audi have a look

    The Audi TT Forum :: View topic - Audi TTRS/RS3 brakes recall
    New Car
    Audi S3 Sprint Blue Oscarli Stage 2+
    Old Cars

    Audi TTRS 2010 Phantom Black Oscarli Stage 1
    Audi S3 2009 Facelift Ibis White (Recaro Buckets)
    Audi S3 2009 Pre-Facelift Solar Orange Oscarli Stage 2
    Audi A1 185 2011 White

  7. #46
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    207
    Had mine done,

    Few been offered it here;

    Breaks fix anyone yet? - General Chat - Official Audi RS3 Owners Club

    But no its not out officially for a couple of weeks
    RS4 Gone.... RS3 as the replacement

  8. #47
    monkeyboy_marcus's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sevenoaks, Kent
    Posts
    263
    Car in today for complementary service (oil change) with Coulsdon Audi and to work out some little issues like rear hubs rusting, squeaks and rattles, parcel shelf bracket falling off etc. No news from either Audi UK on a firm date for the roll out of the brake squeal fix, I checked earlier.

    Replacement car is Q7. Makes me realise how lucky we are to drive such an awesome machine as the RS3.

    I've been clocking up the miles recently with a lot of work-related late night driving on deserted roads and have been testing out MBK's assertion (if I may) that if you drive it hard, the squeal is not there. Great fun and only been pulled over once by the Law - slapped wrist. This works fine and may have been Audi's expectation but day-to-day bundling around town in SE England doesn't have the same effect. I've also noticed how quickly the holes in the front discs get blocked up with dust and have been making a point of blasting them clean with the pressure washer (Stihl RE128 Plus - recommended!).

    And so we wait, except Macdaddy, who seems to have a direct hotline to Audi!

    Oh and BRAKES, not BREAKS!!
    MBK likes this.

  9. #48
    CarrG's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    260
    Audi UK CS called me Tues to say the parts are ready and have been ordered! When would I like to book it in!!

    When I asked what the enhancement consisted of she said they did not know!!

    This is AUDI - Pathetic....
    45bvtc likes this.
    Ibis RS3 - Buckets - Bose - Black Ed - Privacy - New Brakes
    VW California GP 180 DSG "Candy"

  10. #49
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    15
    Car goes in to Audi, Monday for brake fix at last!!
    Told its new callipers discs and pads ?
    Will try and get some pictures of before and after !!
    45bvtc likes this.

  11. #50
    MBK
    MBK's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Neath
    Posts
    1,146
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy_marcus View Post
    I've been clocking up the miles recently with a lot of work-related late night driving on deserted roads and have been testing out MBK's assertion (if I may) that if you drive it hard, the squeal is not there. Great fun and only been pulled over once by the Law - slapped wrist. This works fine and may have been Audi's expectation but day-to-day bundling around town in SE England doesn't have the same effect. I've also noticed how quickly the holes in the front discs get blocked up with dust and have been making a point of blasting them clean with the pressure washer (Stihl RE128 Plus - recommended!).
    Good man, see when you try hard enough no squeal at all! It's a lot more fun doing this than waiting for Audi to actually fix what is a fairly straight forward part of the car.

  12. #51
    monkeyboy_marcus's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sevenoaks, Kent
    Posts
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by RSjack View Post
    Car goes in to Audi, Monday for brake fix at last!!
    Told its new callipers discs and pads ?
    Will try and get some pictures of before and after !!
    Good for you mate! Just had my car back from Coulsdon Audi and there was no update from Audi UK apparently. Did have a Haldex software update though, designed to stop the prop problem when launching, along with the exhaust mount repair and a complementary oil service. Maybe brakes next week, or next month...

  13. #52
    P_G
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy_marcus View Post
    Good for you mate! Just had my car back from Coulsdon Audi and there was no update from Audi UK apparently. Did have a Haldex software update though, designed to stop the prop problem when launching, along with the exhaust mount repair and a complementary oil service. Maybe brakes next week, or next month...
    You may find launch control a different and less attractive proposition now as you can only launch it from what I am told with ESP on, not off / in sport mode like it was. Have a try and see if that is true.

  14. #53
    monkeyboy_marcus's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sevenoaks, Kent
    Posts
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by P_G View Post
    You may find launch control a different and less attractive proposition now as you can only launch it from what I am told with ESP on, not off / in sport mode like it was. Have a try and see if that is true.
    I see, so Audi are reducing the risk of damage to the car (and financial loss of repair work under warranty) by limiting the functionality/effectiveness of launch control? I haven't had the opportunity to use launch the car, so this doesn't particularly bother me but if I did use this function, I'm not sure that I'd want the software upgrade...

  15. #54
    HullRs3's Avatar
    7th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hull, East Yorkshire
    Posts
    113
    Got a call last week (Wed) to say the parts had arrived to get my car fixed and to arrange to book my car in. I was just stepping out of a taxi at Athens Airport at the time about to return back to cold/wet England. So I rang back the next day, and my car is booked in this Thursday. So we will see if this makes any difference to my RS3.
    If have tried monkeyboy_marcus' trick, but the problem is you have to make sure no-one is in front of you when you pull up to a junction or roundabout, or it could get kind of messy.
    Audi UK said they would ring me Friday to see if the fix has been applied so they can close their call. Although, I would need the weekend to give my car a got run around to get any idea if the fix has worked.
    45bvtc likes this.

  16. #55
    45bvtc's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    1,094
    Quote Originally Posted by HullRs3 View Post
    Got a call last week (Wed) to say the parts had arrived to get my car fixed and to arrange to book my car in. I was just stepping out of a taxi at Athens Airport at the time about to return back to cold/wet England. So I rang back the next day, and my car is booked in this Thursday. So we will see if this makes any difference to my RS3.
    If have tried monkeyboy_marcus' trick, but the problem is you have to make sure no-one is in front of you when you pull up to a junction or roundabout, or it could get kind of messy.
    Audi UK said they would ring me Friday to see if the fix has been applied so they can close their call. Although, I would need the weekend to give my car a got run around to get any idea if the fix has worked.
    You too…

    Your answer must surely be that you are evaluating the change, just as Audi/Brembo have been developing the change, and that the evaluation will take time, as you need to experience all of the braking scenarios in a variety of road and weather conditions!

    C'mon! Your Audi dealer will be asking you next to sign a non-disclosure agreement!

    Sh*t!! Sorry, I'd promised not to suggest/disclose that at least one Audi dealer has done that already…

    This brake squeal issue/component change really is a complete and utter joke!

    That said I sincerely hope it works for you guys with the problem - my eBay self-adhesive anti-squeal shims at £4.99 are still doing the business for me and a few others...

  17. #56
    45bvtc's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    1,094
    John, going back to first principles, you reported you brakes were 'squeal-free' for the first 3500-miles - so you do need that sort of mileage to evaluate ANY change.

    Now my brakes were 'squeal-free' for the first 1250-miles, so I would need at least the same mileage to evaluate. Does that make sense to you?

    Note: I do have a list of some 44-RS3 owners of which only THREE report little or no brake squeal, the typical mileage for the onset of brake-squeal is 1000-miles: so I respectfully suggest that you tell your Audi dealer that you need to undertake a minimum of 1000-miles to evaluate!

    If you sign off the next day or the day after then you're stuffed!


    And it isn't Christmas!

  18. #57
    Mr_Freeze's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Trowbridge, originally from Leeds
    Posts
    348
    Got a call from CS today saying the parts are been sent to my local dealer and they will be in touch to book in for the work.

    Does seem like they are finally moving on this!
    45bvtc likes this.

    One of 750 RS3, Ibis White, Buckets, Privacy glass, Black styling, Cruise control, Bose, Scorpion Cat Bypass pipes.

  19. #58
    monkeyboy_marcus's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sevenoaks, Kent
    Posts
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Freeze View Post
    Got a call from CS today saying the parts are been sent to my local dealer and they will be in touch to book in for the work.

    Does seem like they are finally moving on this!
    Having seen HullRS3's update earlier, I called Audi UK for a status update. Amazing that you guys actually get called by Audi - I've never had a single proactive call, always me doing the chasing. Anyway, I'm told that the parts are awaiting allocation to dealers and we should have them within two weeks. I guess that this is about the same info as Mr_Freeze was given.

    On another note, my front Contis were flagged up at the recent service as being about 3mm tread depth. I didn't think much of it as I've done about 13k miles but I've just realised that about half of that would have been on the winter Micheline PA4s. So in less than about 12k total (was told they had another circa 6k miles) these Contis will be useless - does this seem like a particularly poor life span or is this to be expected from the RS3?
    45bvtc likes this.

  20. #59
    dbm
    dbm's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Preston, Lancs
    Posts
    482
    That sounds like a little less than I got out of my fronts, and the majority of my driving is motorway so it sounds reasonable to me.
    45bvtc likes this.
    RS3 | TTS | A3 3.2Q | S3(8L)

  21. #60
    monkeyboy_marcus's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sevenoaks, Kent
    Posts
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy_marcus View Post
    Having seen HullRS3's update earlier, I called Audi UK for a status update. Amazing that you guys actually get called by Audi - I've never had a single proactive call, always me doing the chasing.
    Well, I got that call today. Parts are on the way to the dealer and should arrive within 24-48 hours apparently. Could be looking at the application of the official brake fix before the end of the week...
    45bvtc likes this.

  22. #61
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy_marcus View Post
    Well, I got that call today. Parts are on the way to the dealer and should arrive within 24-48 hours apparently. Could be looking at the application of the official brake fix before the end of the week...
    I got this also today. Hopefully sorted for next week. Although I have only had some slight squeak, it's good to see its finally getting fixed for all you's that have been waiting for ages now.

  23. #62
    CarrG's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    260
    Mines in today for new discs, pads, calipers and its first service.
    Ibis RS3 - Buckets - Bose - Black Ed - Privacy - New Brakes
    VW California GP 180 DSG "Candy"

  24. #63
    45bvtc's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    1,094
    These reports are starting to look good!

    I've now pinched myself twice just to make sure I'm not still asleep!

    Sincerely hope it works out for you guys...

  25. #64
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    28
    Audi called me yesterday mine goes in on Tuesday for the break fix finally!!!

  26. #65
    Mr_Freeze's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Trowbridge, originally from Leeds
    Posts
    348
    Still can't figure how they are deciding whether you get new disc's or not.

    One of 750 RS3, Ibis White, Buckets, Privacy glass, Black styling, Cruise control, Bose, Scorpion Cat Bypass pipes.

  27. #66
    45bvtc's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    1,094
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Freeze View Post
    Still can't figure how they are deciding whether you get new disc's or not.
    I do agree, I really do.

    I thought the brake disc change was mileage related, but I'm now not sure as one contributor, I don't know this of course, is 'maybe' having new brake discs with less miles than another who didn't; and one car that didn't, even having been back to ######### sorry, I do not know this of course, didn't.

    I think we're still in 'scattergun' mode were customer cars are being used for development.

    So I'm sticking with my £4.99 eBay 'cost' and the 1.1/2 hours of a laughable pensioner's labour solution: I don't want my calipers to be fondled by a 'young' Audi technician, or group-of 'young' Audi technicians at Milton Keynes, even, who'll then be asking for feedback!

    Please, please Audi UK; please modify everyone else's RS3 and TTRS before you do mine!

    I mean, thanks all the same Audi UK but no thanks, leave mine alone, or at least till LAST: BLUEY and I are content, very content, really!

    Thank you, and good night!!!

  28. #67
    monkeyboy_marcus's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sevenoaks, Kent
    Posts
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Freeze View Post
    Still can't figure how they are deciding whether you get new disc's or not.
    My neither, although I've just confirmed that discs, pads and calipers will be replaced this coming Tuesday.

    Do you reckon that we can keep the old sets and would there be buyers on ebay?!

  29. #68
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    28
    haha tried the old 'can i keep the calipers please?' his reply was a firm no! apparently they have to be sent back to Germany to be tested. hmmmm. Was thinking i could have made a few bucks too!! damn!!
    Mine too goes in tuesday seems they trying to get them all done asap which is good!
    monkeyboy_marcus likes this.

  30. #69
    45bvtc's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    1,094

    You can't keep your original calipers silly... (just an expresion and NOT personal!)

    Audi/Brembo need 'em back so that they can modify 'em to fit a pair of these...
    .
    Go back and refer to post #26

  31. #70
    Morells's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hay-On-Wye
    Posts
    351
    Mines booked in on Monday seem like they are handing these out fast
    New Car
    Audi S3 Sprint Blue Oscarli Stage 2+
    Old Cars

    Audi TTRS 2010 Phantom Black Oscarli Stage 1
    Audi S3 2009 Facelift Ibis White (Recaro Buckets)
    Audi S3 2009 Pre-Facelift Solar Orange Oscarli Stage 2
    Audi A1 185 2011 White

  32. #71
    Mr_Freeze's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Trowbridge, originally from Leeds
    Posts
    348
    Bath Audi called me to confirm they have the parts and to book me in.
    Asked the chap in parts dept if he could confirm what was in the box and he said it was Disc's, Pad's and Caliper's. Result!

    One of 750 RS3, Ibis White, Buckets, Privacy glass, Black styling, Cruise control, Bose, Scorpion Cat Bypass pipes.

  33. #72
    JonnyG's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    204
    No phone call here yet ... and I do have an Audi UK reference from January about this. No replies to my emails either Will have to give them a call no doubt ... would be nice to get them done with my first service !
    Audi RS3 in Daytona Grey, 7sp S-Tronic, Sept 2012

  34. #73
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyG View Post
    No phone call here yet ... and I do have an Audi UK reference from January about this. No replies to my emails either Will have to give them a call no doubt ... would be nice to get them done with my first service !
    same here are you using Leeds audi?

  35. #74
    JonnyG's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    204
    Yes ... are you ?
    Audi RS3 in Daytona Grey, 7sp S-Tronic, Sept 2012

  36. #75
    Oli.'s Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    546
    Mines booked in tuesday
    RS4 family wagon.....gone but not forgotten

  37. #76
    HullRs3's Avatar
    7th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hull, East Yorkshire
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by 45bvtc View Post
    John, going back to first principles, you reported you brakes were 'squeal-free' for the first 3500-miles - so you do need that sort of mileage to evaluate ANY change.

    Now my brakes were 'squeal-free' for the first 1250-miles, so I would need at least the same mileage to evaluate. Does that make sense to you?

    Note: I do have a list of some 44-RS3 owners of which only THREE report little or no brake squeal, the typical mileage for the onset of brake-squeal is 1000-miles: so I respectfully suggest that you tell your Audi dealer that you need to undertake a minimum of 1000-miles to evaluate!

    If you sign off the next day or the day after then you're stuffed!


    And it isn't Christmas!
    Got car back today after mods fitted - brakes, discs and calipers. As I arrived it was just being taken out for testing. Despite only being driven half a mile home early reports it was silent running all the way. Now I did point out to the Hull Audi manager when I asked about having to bed the brakes in that it could be a little longer for me to reach the 200-300 miles as I am doing less miles than I used to & I am not sure what my weekend mileage will be as that is changing. I understand John's point, but I think Audi UK want to close the call and send out customer satisfaction surveys. I did ask if the problem came back should I go back to Audi UK. I was told to ring Hull Audi instead. It was also pointed out that I was one of the first to have this fix fitted from the first batch of RS3's. Hopefully the fix lasts and everyone gets some satisfactory results soon.
    45bvtc likes this.

  38. #77
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyG View Post
    Yes ... are you ?
    yes Jon I bought mine from derby audi same group I've already had a set of discs at 13k, and my car is due an oil service so I'm going to push for a service foc as a goodwill gesture, I speak to Christian on a weekly basis but nothing as yet I'm away next week so il wait till after then.
    ubbs

  39. #78
    klauster's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,121
    mine is booked in 30th for the work
    www.SubZerosystems.co.uk - IT Consultancy

  40. #79
    Kelza's Avatar
    MODERATOR

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    2,457
    Yeah ,mine should be booked in next week after parts arrive on tuesday ,new rs4 as a courtesy car ,hope so
    Last edited by Kelza; 17th May 2013 at 12:17.

  41. #80
    45bvtc's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    1,094
    Quote Originally Posted by RS3-KEL View Post
    Yeah ,mine should be booked in next week after parts arrive on tuesday ,new rs4 as a courtesy car ,hope so
    Hi John, that's really good news - and here's a test (between RS3-KEL and me guys as we're just testing the system: nothing secret or underhand, you know)
    Kelza likes this.

 

 
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Finally-the brakes fix is out....
    By Vito in forum RS3 Forum
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 22nd February 2013, 11:26
  2. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the brake lights on an A3?
    By sixsr in forum General Technical / How To
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 24th February 2009, 10:11
  3. When you don't have the tools
    By rjcowan in forum In-Car Entertainment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 3rd May 2004, 16:19
  4. Have the drop downs gone?
    By dbm in forum Site Support & Announcements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10th December 2003, 13:33
  5. where have the forums gone?
    By sfource in forum General Chat
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 21st June 2003, 19:16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO