Another Alloy wheel question... sorry

klauster

Reaction score
Can I just check. For those with standard and uprated alloy wheel option on the RS3...

What size are your alloys?

Are standard alloys on the RS3 19'' 8.0J all round?

Are the upgraded alloys 8.5J all round or just the front?

Looking to change my alloys and need to check before I make a mistake :)

The alloys I am looking at are 8.5J 19''s, I don't want rubbing :)

Help appreciated...

Can I just check. For those with standard and uprated alloy wheel option on the RS3...

What size are your alloys?

Are standard alloys on the RS3 19'' 8.0J all round?

Are the upgraded alloys 8.5J all round or just the front?

Looking to change my alloys and need to check before I make a mistake :)

The alloys I am looking at are 8.5J 19''s, I don't want rubbing :)

Help appreciated...
Standard fit is 19'' 8.0J FRONT and REAR: Audi Part No: 8P0601025CP @ 19-inch x 8J ET50 Tyres, as you know, are: 235/35 front's and 225/35 rear's

Optional is an 8.5J FRONT with a 255/30, while the rear remains as an 8.0J with a 225/35

Note: I run 235/35 winter tyres on both the front and rear on the standard 8.0J rims, and I do, occasionally, hear the rear tyres 'kiss' the inner wheel arch/trims - no sign of damage, however.

many thanks for that... next question is then...

Could you run 8.5J on the rear with 235 tyres and not have an issue?

many thanks for that... next question is then...

Could you run 8.5J on the rear with 235 tyres and not have an issue?
A 225/35 on an 8.0J rim is 239mm (max in service) width, however, on an 8.5J rim this width goes up to 244mm.

So, for a 235/35 on an 8.5J rim you're going to be increasing the (max in service) width by 10mm to 254mm (and that’s 15mm above existing).

So, if the ET of the 8.5J wheel remains the same as the 8J wheel you'll be loosing at least 7.5mm clearance from existing; good luck Nick, let me know how you get on…

offset of the new ones is ET45... if that helps any....

http://www.audi.co.uk/content/dam/audi/production/PDF/PriceAndSpecGuides/rs3-sportback.pdf

On page 24 Option Code F74 8.5Jx19 wheels with 255/30 front and 225/35 rear tyres. I gather they are ET50 but it doesn't say but would make sense if the 8J's were also ET50. Funny though because on the drivers door the tyre pressure list includes front and rear pressures for 235/35 tyres. I have 235/35 fronts and rear and have to say even with family in there is no rubbing on the rears against the arches. My winter 18's are also 235/40's but they are ET45 8JX18 and again no rubbing.

I'm guessing it will be tight and you'll have to stretch the tyres on them so they don't rub in the arches. Sportec run 9x20 rims on their project RS3 which are ET50 so you would think an 8.5Jx19 ET45 would work.

Last edited:
Reactions: 45bvtc
on ballz, I hate being cutting age and one of the first to jump in :) thanks for the info

Get them on with 235 tyres so I can see if my dream of Sportec Mono 10's can be a reality!

Maybe this will assist:[IMG][/IMG]

Reactions: robbiemac
If I am working this out right;

8J = 203.2mm Centre 101.6
8.5 J = 215.9mm Centre 107.95
12.7mm difference

ET50 on 8J means 50mm from centre so mounting plate is 51.6mm from outer edge
ET45 on 8.5J means 45mm from centre so mounting plate is 62.95mm from outer edge
11.35mm wider on the outer

In effect like running 10mm spacers on each hub at the back. The difference between 225 ans 235 is 100mm, 5 mm on each side of the wheel so with 235 tyres on they would be 6.35mm futher out than 8JX19 ET50's on 235's. I think it could just work on the rears, plenty of pace on the fronts.

The only other things is whether the centre bore is 57.1mm or 66.1mm. If the former OK, if the latter spiggots needed as well.

Last edited:
I agree P_G, but don't forget to consider the everso slight arc from static to full droop to full compression, not just the static position. My 235's on the rear are ok in static and droop, but 'kiss' on compression. I really do think Klauster should try it first... :footy:

Maybe the solution is 8.5J's with 225's on the rear then.

will 225s fit ok on 8.5J? just look slightly more stretched?

If these have preiously been fitted to a MkV Golf R32, can we assume that the bore is correct?

Just double checked (while clearing out last Sunday's sheep droppings from the rear wheel arches): 235/35's on 8.0J rims fitted to the rear of my car have 'kissed' the inner dirt shields so; my best guess is that 8.5J rims with 235/35's will fit, but you may have to do a little manipulation of your inner dirt shields to maximise clearance - there is loads of space behind the dirt shields…

Just to add that the "optional" Audi front wheels have an ET53 offset - so they are 19 x 8.5J ET53 (with 255/30 tyres)

I have the upgrade, 8.0 rear 8.5 front :) et50 and et53 respectively.

I have pictures of the stampings somewhere if you want to see them :)

Reactions: 45bvtc and Kelza
No I haven't actually, I did drive one on a test drive without them but I didn't get it going enough :)

I have never noticed any under steer even in the wet, in fact it is the rear that starts to skip first.

Mr freeze john was running winters ,235 up back :)

There is only a 1.1% difference inbetween 235/35 and 225/35 thus should adversley affect anything else

Interested to know if you run 235's on the back, does this not alter the rolling circumference of the rear and mess up the gearing?
It actually makes the fronts and backs the same rolling circumference !

It actually makes the fronts and backs the same rolling circumference !

Yeah i know that, but if the car is designed to run 235/225 then the gearing will have been designed to take into account that the rear wheels are spinning faster, therefore by running 235 rear the wheels will be rotating slower than design spec.
Would this not put extra strain on the diff as it will be not balanced as per spec?

I would suggest that a 1.1% difference is well within tolerance.