OK, own up.....

P_G

Reaction score
Who has been to MRC today to get a Stage II map? 430bhp and 448 ft lbs would almost make it perfect.....

Wow ,full tbh milly,intake ,fmic and stage 2 map,0-60 in 3.8 secs ,so who was it lol

The only thing this highlights to me is that a straight stage 1 map with nothing else will give 410bhp (+60bhp) and around 415 ftlbs (+88ftlbs) but you get another 20bhp and 30 ftlbs on top of that you need to spend £2-3k in an exhaust and FMIC plus the additonal £100 in remap cost? Is it worth it? Mind I can't talk, I spent that on an RS4 to get 20bhp and the same in torque!:whistle2:

Yeah ,when you put it like that why bother with stage 2 ;)

Not me.

I have been thinking the same, when I do it, is Stage II really worth it? Ok on a hot track day the FMIC would help for sure. The full system would probably sound good but at almost £3K it would have to. Is there any footage around of Stage I v Stage II? I heard someone saying they had seen an MRC Stage I that was quicker than APR Stage II!

When my Evo 360 was mapped from 370ish standard to just over/under the 400 depending which chart you read the difference wasn't really that noticeable, the map was better - more top end urgency but the actual performance gain was tiny, maybe a couple of 10ths off 0-100 and a quick, clean lap at Pembrey.

Hi p_g i know a member running this power with all the toys , loba 500bt next ;)

It is a lot of work to get an extra 20bhp/20 ftlbs though isn't it? I got away form the RS4 to stop spending stupid amounts on small gains, doing the whole FMIC / Turbo back just gets into that again.

So much for FMIC producing 40bhp and 40ftlbs on its own with no map.....

Last edited:
The law of diminishing returns is fully alive with car tuning as ever. Imo it only ever makes sense to go so far and then move on to something that is a better starting base.

They had some Revolution 508bhp Impreza in evo this month, it costs £72K and is trying to beat the 7m55s 'ring record for a production Impreza. I just don't get that at all because for that money there are several cars that will match or beat 7m55s out of the showroom and one that destroys that time with ease...the evo review even said "It's not unlike a GTR, albeit one with slightly slower(human) gearshift" & "It's hard to ignore the narrow customer appeal or the price" I should say so too.

This issue is one ive been looking at for a bit now, Do i go stage one then maybe upgrade in the future or go straight to stage 2.

Its been pretty much summed up how i feel, Its a lot of extra cash for perhaps 0.1 to 60 better, When you look at the TTRS's making big numbers thats all really thats in it.

Personally i'm going to go for stage one when the brakes are fixed and hopefully keep my gearbox in one piece.

I agree Macdaddy, Stage 1 is starting to look like the more appealing option.

I often wonder when and where people get to use all this extra power? It's not like you see many RS cars on track days (no surprise given the cost of consumables alone) or drag strips. Unless you use the Autobahn I'd have thought the times you'd see the advantage of the map on road would be limited. I may be wrong of course. I don't hang about but the road, visibility and general safety are the limiting factor more often than power - actually on road in the RS3 I've never once thought I needed more power, on track more power is of course always a good thing!

That may be where you and I differ MBK because there are occassion where the 3 feels like it needs more tractable in gear grunt, ideally higher up the rev range but to do that you have to increase the whole band with the characterstics of the engine as they are. I'm comparing of course to a B7 RS4. If compared to a mapped C6 RS6 for example of course it needs more power. In 6th in the 4 you could put your foot down and it will still go, in the 3 even when in S6 mode you have to wait for the s-tronic box to work out which gear it needs and then it goes. I'm not necessarily after the ponies (although always nice to have more ponies in the stable!), mine is more about the torques. IIRC there is also a better s-tronic box map available too.

I was all for an FMIC but upon relfection I may well stay with a stage I map until I feel the need for a Loba hybrid upgrade.

Last edited:
As PG ive often found it doesnt have the same torque grunt towards the top end on the motorway as my RS4 did, Dont get me wrong from the start its way quicker than the RS4 was but sometimes i've felt it needs more when pressing on into triple figures (On a private runway)

I'd heard JBS had mapped just the box and had a 0-60 time of 3.5 or simular..... Not that id trust them with my car of course.

Be interesting to know what a box and engine map combo would do.

Ah I understand, I can see where you are coming from on the torque. Certainly 100 plus and for sure 120+ more shove would be good!

The law of diminishing returns is fully alive with car tuning as ever. Imo it only ever makes sense to go so far and then move on to something that is a better starting base.

They had some Revolution 508bhp Impreza in evo this month, it costs £72K and is trying to beat the 7m55s 'ring record for a production Impreza. I just don't get that at all because for that money there are several cars that will match or beat 7m55s out of the showroom and one that destroys that time with ease...the evo review even said "It's not unlike a GTR, albeit one with slightly slower(human) gearshift" & "It's hard to ignore the narrow customer appeal or the price" I should say so too.

I can see what you are saying regarding the Revolution Scoobie MBK but having seen the build through the stages knowing the boys there well, there is a lot of work went into that car and the time spent on it would be far reduced now that they know how to do it which would reflect in the cost of another one being made. That said they did a scoobie because they know there is a market for that with the Scoobie and Evo crowd, especially when there will not be another one. A lot of the cost on Revolution's Scoobie went into converting it from a 4 to 2 door body and respray, then engine build then roll cage. The plan could be to build 10 if there is a market and given that scene there may well be but the bigger opportuity is to sell kit sections (engine / roll cage/ suspension / transmission etc) to customers who don't want the full fat version.

Reactions: MBK
Just having a quick look;

REVO Stage I 410bhp and 546NM at £699
MRC Stage I +60bhp (so approx.=410) and +120NM (approx. 560) at £650
APR Stage I 414bhp and 583 NM at £838

REVO Stage 2 420bhp and 560NM at £749
MRC Stage II 430bhp and 606NM at £750
Stage 2 on both would need turbo back systems, FMIC and optimised air intake

Reactions: MBK
I need to break my car, I'm going to launch the **** out of it :)

Reactions: Vito, MBK and Macdaddy
So at best you'll gain 10-15bhp and upto 20 Torques..... Seems really pointless that for an extra few G's that it'll cost for Milltek, FMIC etc.

Thinking of going for the APR as the TTRS boys appear to prefer it, Plus Revo seriously sort the price out as its £699 before VAT !!!!

Or oscarli for £300 :whistle2:

Oscarli have no information about their remap for an RS3 and from information gathered are about as generic as Superchips without a warrnatry. UNless you have information to the contrary.....

There is also Rick at Unicorn Motorsport Developments, ive been chatting with him via email about mapping for the RS3 he can also Map the S-tronic box. And the price he quoted was very very competitive :)

Once i get myself sorted i will be heading there for him to work his magic, ive also asked about the possibility of having switchable maps and he said it would be a big job but could be possible given time.

Cheers
Chris

What experience does he have of mapping s-tronic and 2.5 TFSi engines? and more importantly cracking the ECU to enable OBD-II flashing?

In related news I see the KTM X-Bow is getting the 2.5TFSi engine and they are quoting tuning up to 480bhp! Now that package really will be something else.

Reactions: robbiemac
They do both jonny ,been in johns car very smooth and well set up car ,before he got wmi ...

Reactions: JonnyG
They do both jonny ,been in johns car very smooth and well set up car ,before he got wmi ...
Cheers for the info .. you get around a lot !! you're on all the forums I frequent :laugh: .... Gtechniq, Golf R and here !

Guys has anyone got Revo stage one I'm thinking of getting mine booked in, either that or APR from awesome GTI in Manchester. Both are similar price just not sure on the gains/problems with either one??