Upgrading discs and pads - options?

MBK

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
After my track exploits my OEM discs and pads are approaching the end of life so I'm thinking of a brake upgrade. This directional grooved and vented disc and pad package from Tarox looks like a good option to me (this link talks about the TTRS but it's the same package for the RS3)

Tarox Motorsport Brake Upgrade Kit For Audi TT-RS | Audi Tuning Mag

I don't think there is a need for a bigger caliper or an aftermarket 'big brake conversion', there is plenty of stopping power from the standard items, though I'm open to suggestions if there is something show stopping out there.

What I'm looking for is discs that can handle the heat cycling of the odd track day, keeping the pads deglazed and something that will still work well on the road without too much additional noise.

Also if you know of any good suppliers and fitters within reasonable range of south Wales that would be useful too. I'd be happy for any sponsor traders on here to contact me with ideas.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark

I have used DBA 5000 series discs and Pagid Blue pads on a previous car and the discs were excellent!, they have a rather unique venting method different to other discs...I have tried Tarox and Brembo discs in the past but the DBA discs were far better with no fade after abuse.

Not sure they do a disc for the RS3 but they have discs listed for the TT.

Disc Brakes Australia | HD 5000XS - Disc Brakes Australia

Hi Mark

I have used DBA 5000 series discs and Pagid Blue pads on a previous car and the discs were excellent!, they have a rather unique venting method different to other discs...I have tried Tarox and Brembo discs in the past but the DBA discs were far better with no fade after abuse.

Not sure they do a disc for the RS3 but they have discs listed for the TT.

Disc Brakes Australia | HD 5000XS - Disc Brakes Australia

Thanks, I agree I used DBA discs on my Scooby and they were as you also say, superb. I can't find any information on a DBA TTRS or RS3 disc at the moment but I will keep looking. The 'kangaroo paw' design works well.

They would fit with a dave brown mod ,but there going cost £££££££.

I'm sure they'd be reassuringly expensive! Superb brakes for the track though, decisions decisions.

Hi mate there are so many options ,and uprated rotors and bells ,pads etc is another option ,as dave said to me when you start doing track days , the rotors are made of chocolate lol ...

Hi MBK dave brown is based in preston ,hes the brake guru ;)
VAGBremTechnic | VAGOC.co.uk

John, thanks for the recommendation, Dave has already replied to me and I'm going to go with his well proven TTRS AP & Pagid upgraded discs and pads.

This is why forum's are great, I'd have been fishing in the dark for an answer that someone else has already found. I will let you know how I get on.

Reactions: Kelza
Daves solutions are amazing. Have run the kit on my TTRS for some time now.
If you want to settle the rear end under braking also have a look at his rear kit too...

Fronts:

DSCF3848.jpg

DSCF3857.jpg

DSCF3860.jpg

Rears:

5C6EF958-448E-4EC5-86E1-61A758A2D53A-6823-0000093E0B1166E2.jpg

C92D5612-2682-4FB4-8297-1E87182162B5-7191-00000A34B17A71AD.jpg

Reactions: 45bvtc
With the ceramics you get no brake dust and the pads last literally for ever with no fade... It is the king of options for brakes IMHO

I agree with you on the ceramics but I think the AP set up is good enough for me and the amount of enjoyment per £ I will get from them for now. There are a lot of good write ups about this set up. I hope Audi add ceramics as an option on the next RS3, I'd tick the box for buckets and ceramics and it'd be job done.

My VAGbrembtechnic (Dave Brown) upgraded discs and Pagid RS4-2 pads are due to arrive Thursday and are being fitted on Friday, talk about perfect timing ready for the weekend meet. I will take some pictures during fitting for those interested in that sort of thing and how they look etc.

I'm looking forward to getting these on the RS3 and hoping they are as good as all I've read about them. As Dave himself said "You'll run out of tyres and suspension before you run out of brakes with this setup", exactly what I am looking for.

wow....... Loving the brake set up. Pictures are terrific, cheers for posting Jamie

...being fitted on Friday, talk about perfect timing ready for the weekend meet.

Thought you'd have waited till the brakes recall then sold the RS3 brakes as literally brand new lol....then again you might be waiting for a bit!...can't wait to see them on Sunday mate.

If they call mine in as part of the recall, they might well not I haven't made any complaint as squeal is so infrequent, I will let them fit the new parts then remove them again and keep them for if/when I sell the car.

My brakes really need changing now and I really want the track biased kit on because the standard set up, while superb for the road is no match for occasional track lap-foolery.

Reactions: 45bvtc and CatnipRS3
If they call mine in as part of the recall, they might well not I haven't made any complaint as squeal is so infrequent, I will let them fit the new parts then remove them again and keep them for if/when I sell the car.

My brakes really need changing now and I really want the track biased kit on because the standard set up, while superb for the road is no match for occasional track lap-foolery.

That's the way to do it!

Reactions: MBK
Woot! These just arrived:

Ah yes that's the right word on the box, racing, AP Racing!
APRacing.jpeg

Opening the box to be greeted by corrosion inhibitor paper:
Discbox.jpeg

And finally, ta dah, the Pagid RS pads, braided hoses and grooved AP Racing disc by vagbrembtechnic:
Discsandpadds.jpeg

Another update to follow tomorrow during fitting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelza and JudderMan
Nice MBK, what's the damage to your wallet if you don't mind me asking and was it cheaper than Loba's AP set up? PM me price if you want or we can chat on Sunday.

Nice MBK, what's the damage to your wallet if you don't mind me asking and was it cheaper than Loba's AP set up? PM me price if you want or we can chat on Sunday.

I'm fairly sure is exactly the same as the Loba set up, Dave did say they might come with the orange Loba logo's instead. I'd have been happy with either. Thanks again to Rs3kel for the contact details.

£1513 all in and delivered, cheaper than any other internet price or local supplier I could find. Breakdown below. I prefer the benefit/security of paying by credit card so you could make this a little cheaper:

Discinvoice.jpg

Other cheaper options like the TAROX kit are available and I did consider them but I've been assured these are far superior and a couple of owners threads from occasional track day toys (like mine) through to stripped out racers on other forums seem to support this view.

Reactions: Kelza and Mr_Freeze
Ahh lovely mark ,want ,want,want ;) you getting uprated back disks ?
65e05ec24d3cbcb30215750d6766f2a5_zps05d6d9ba.jpg

Hold on! Hold on!....you not got the upgraded calipers too? :think:

ps...I once went out with a girl that wore calipers!, had to leave her at the airport when we went on holiday to the states.

No need ,these bad boys just slot right in lol

Reactions: MBK
Ahh lovely mark ,want ,want,want ;) you getting uprated back disks ?
65e05ec24d3cbcb30215750d6766f2a5_zps05d6d9ba.jpg

No need as yet, you know how it is with rear brakes, they do so little work and to be really effective that means a suspension change too, then that means more power...it never ends!

Very true or you could get a uprated forge fmic as best with lots of track use:)
e92643a0fcdd33ddc303854bdf9e5a87_zpsc7d2c7ef.jpg

Yep I could indeed, I've thought about the map, turbo back and intercooler but at that point the spectre of the 3 letters GTR and 550bhp start to hover in front of my eyes! There is only so far you can take any car and it's always a balance before moving up to the next rung - well that's my view anyway.

If it was me buying uprated rotors/bells and pads id defo get it mapped no question !

Reactions: CatnipRS3
If it was me buying uprated rotors/bells and pads id defo get it mapped no question !

He he he like I need more encouragement. The standard Audi discs are of limited use on track even with the standard power.

Yep I could indeed, I've thought about the map, turbo back and intercooler but at that point the spectre of the 3 letters GTR and 550bhp start to hover in front of my eyes! There is only so far you can take any car and it's always a balance before moving up to the next rung - well that's my view anyway.

But you could have map, FMIC, full system, water/meth and Loba hybrid Turbo for the cost of a couple of GT-R services and the same power. For me I'll stop at FMIC and map...... or that's the thought just now anyway!

Yep I won't be going that far! I'm getting enough grins with the standard power for now, only the brakes proved a weak spot on track everything else was good enough to be both properly quick and more importantly massively enjoyable.

I've chased the power and handling ace before with scoobies and Evo's and there is always a sweet spot with each car, I suspect that is the map, full system and FMIC with the RS3 in terms of track work (even completely standard it's more than enough for the road imo). After that I'd rather keep the pennies for a move up the automotive rung which for me would be the GTR with the power and a warranty to back it up.

I still feel the 3 lacks a bit of grunt on high speed overtaking even wih s-tronic compensating, you can never have enough torque!

I still feel the 3 lacks a bit of grunt on high speed overtaking even wih s-tronic compensating, you can never have enough torque!

Seems you are right!

Last edited by a moderator: