Brakes- other issues other than "squeal"?

Bilen

Reaction score
Anyone else had issues with the brakes other than the well documented squeal?

Mine are pulling to the left and stick really badly when the car is left overnight in the rain or the cold

Also in the pouring rain it feels like there is a dead spot on the braking and it takes a while for them to respond which doesn't inspire much confidence when driving in the wet, when the rest of the car is peerless in in the wet with winter tyres...

When I press the brakes hard from motorway speeds there is a strange metal drumming noise when I depress the pedal?

Going into the local dealer to get technician with me out, to see if they can spot something, but its already been on once and they said everything was fine.

since then having done Geneva and back in 4 days I'm convinced that there is something wrong

Has anyone else experienced similar issues?

thanks

B

No I've not experienced anything like the pulling to the left. I was in the pouring rain on track on Friday and brakes were superb for 47 flat out miles including one big hairpin braking from 110 to 30mph.

The brakes do stick if the discs are wet overnight, this is also common on performance cars, nothing much you can do about that if the car is parked outside overnight. If the car is kept in a garage you can avoid this by applying the brakes a few times before you put it away.

I do sometimes get a kind of 'duurrrrr' noise after using the brakes heavily and getting the disks hot but that is common with drilled disks (slotted/vented would really be ideal).

When the brakes get really hot on track and are cooling afterwards the pops and bangs from the 'floating rotor' hub and disc being made of different metals and contracting at different rates sounds like gunshots.

Also in the pouring rain it feels like there is a dead spot on the braking and it takes a while for them to respond which doesn't inspire much confidence when driving in the wet, when the rest of the car is peerless in in the wet with winter tyres...

Bilen, just a thought, did you come to the RS3 from a manual car? I only ask because with the s-tronic box it can sometimes feel like you need a slightly firmer initial shove on the brake pedal due to the lesser engine braking effect when you lift off the throttle. Also the ESP system on the RS3 is quite intrusive if you have it on. The brakes themselves should feel mighty when given a good push.

MBK, Thanks, no I came from an stronic s3 sportback, and the brakes on that felt more stable,

the RS3 was lightly used when i purchased it (5000 miles) so there may be something I inherited?

The brakes do feel solid when you give the brakes a good shove, but the instability during braking definitely doesn't feel the way it should, we shall see

Yes best get that checked. A warped disc perhaps, do you get a judder through the pedal? The dealer can easily measure the disc to check this.

Looks like others have experienced similar issues on other forums, at least I have some others with similar issues elsewhere, sounds like it might be warped discs...

I have the same issue as Bilen in extreme wet conditions and when there is a lot of spray on the roads. It is almost like the brake have lost all heat ouot of them and there is water between the disc and pad. I don't think the caliper being mounted to the front of the discs helps with the cooling for the brakes acting as a water conduit to them as I never experience this on the RS4. Coupled with hard pads that don't retain heat to evaoprate waht water goes near them. This is alos the time when the car will pull left / right but after a couple of prods the retardation is back at it's best.

As said mine is only in extreme wet conditions / snow and on the motorway so when I am driving in such situations I just adapt to pumping the brake a little which sorts it out. I do honestly believe a lot of the issues people are experiencing with brakes is down to hard brake pad compund both for this and the squeeling.

Bilen, just a thought, did you come to the RS3 from a manual car? I only ask because with the s-tronic box it can sometimes feel like you need a slightly firmer initial shove on the brake pedal due to the lesser engine braking effect when you lift off the throttle. Also the ESP system on the RS3 is quite intrusive if you have it on. The brakes themselves should feel mighty when given a good push.

I thought i had warped discs, but after watching the speedo it turns out its the down change causing a surge of engine breaking.

Hi guys...

Quick question... Does the RS3 have heated wing mirrors? Mine arent working not that i really need them and am wondering if they are even supposed to be heated?!! if so i need a word with Audi!
Thanks

Hi guys...

Quick question... Does the RS3 have heated wing mirrors? Mine arent working not that i really need them and am wondering if they are even supposed to be heated?!! if so i need a word with Audi!
Thanks

OH YES!!! BUT make sure the mirror-adjust switch is central (not to the left, or the right, but central) for both to 'heat'.

Hi guys...

Thanks

Yes they are heated Gemmo, the switch on the door card should be in the vertical position for them to heat the mirrors.

Whoops John beat me to it...lol

Had a technician in the car today, who heard the sound, she goes in tomorrow and they're taking the front brakes off to look,

The head tech heard it and agreed something was definitely not right.... we'll see what they say tomorrow.

They also said that the fix for the squalling brake issue was imminent, whatever that means?

Worn inner pads on the fronts after 11.5k miles, wear and tear items.... £430.00 whoopie, hopefully that fixes it and they are rather important...

Worn inner pads on the fronts after 11.5k miles, wear and tear items.... £430.00 whoopie, hopefully that fixes it and they are rather important...

thanks for letting us know. I will check the inner pads on mine today the outer pad still seems ok but I must be getting close to needing new pads soon. I think I will be going for some upgraded discs and pads though rather than OEM, especially at £430 just for OEM pads!

Anyone else had issues with the brakes other than the well documented squeal?

Also in the pouring rain it feels like there is a dead spot on the braking and it takes a while for them to respond which doesn't inspire much confidence when driving in the wet, when the rest of the car is peerless in in the wet with winter tyres...B
I've had this a few times ... it's very scary for a second before they start to bite properly !