Chris NottAH Fabrications
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By 45bvtc
  • 1 Post By 45bvtc

Thread: GIVE me an RS3 with snow tyres, and lots of lovely deep snow

5th Gear

Status

GIVE me an RS3 with snow tyres, and lots of lovely deep snow

Out for lunch today to a pub high on the edge of Cannock Chase; using the steep 15cm deep snow-covered back roads where possible, the RS3 on Vredestein winter rubber was absolutely fault less and loads of fun...

P1010748.jpg

The joys of being retired...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 45bvtc; 18th January 2013 at 17:21. Reason: picture
    MBK, robbiemac and daz5182 like this.

2. # ADS
    ADS

MBK
    5th Gear

Status
    Nice picture! My RS3 is tucked up in the warm today but I've always thought quattro is great in the snow. My first experience was in my 3.2 TT Roadster, we were at some hotel out in the sticks near Brecon, the snow came down quickly and many cars struggled to get out of the car park and driveway. In the TT you wouldn't even have known there was snow on the road. While all the traffic was static on the A470 I was able to cut across the deserted A4059 mountain road, the only other vehicle I encountered an old Defender. The TT was just as you describe faultless and fun and that was on the standard Conti's, as this was long before Winter Tyres were popular in the UK. I was surprised just how much grip and traction the TT had because the Scooby I'd owned before that was shall we say a lot more playful.

I can quite imagine the RS3 on winter tyres is brilliant in these conditions!

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MBK View Post
    Nice picture! My RS3 is tucked up in the warm today but I've always thought quattro is great in the snow. My first experience was in my 3.2 TT Roadster, we were at some hotel out in the sticks near Brecon, the snow came down quickly and many cars struggled to get out of the car park and driveway. In the TT you wouldn't even have known there was snow on the road. While all the traffic was static on the A470 I was able to cut across the deserted A4059 mountain road, the only other vehicle I encountered an old Defender. The TT was just as you describe faultless and fun and that was on the standard Conti's, as this was long before Winter Tyres were popular in the UK. I was surprised just how much grip and traction the TT had because the Scooby I'd owned before that was shall we say a lot more playful.

I can quite imagine the RS3 on winter tyres is brilliant in these conditions!
    Our 3.2TT was also amazing (with snow tyres fitted) on snow...

P1010529.jpg
    Last edited by 45bvtc; 18th January 2013 at 17:22.

1st Gear

Status
    Love it Mate, just one of the joys of Quattro ownership!

Shame mine is at the dealers this week, typical!
    Ibis RS3 - Buckets - Bose - Black Ed - Privacy - New Brakes
    VW California GP 180 DSG "Candy"

P_G
    2nd Gear

Status
    the 3 performs pretty well in the snow, just miss the lack of engine braking although the winter Conti's have very impressive grip. Now all I have to find is that emtpy car park with virgin snow to do some drifting!

'S' Button engaged....

Status
    [QUOTE=45bvtc;1764241]Out for lunch today to a pub high on the edge of Cannock Chase; using the steep 15cm deep snow-covered back roads where possible, the RS3 on Vredestein winter rubber was absolutely fault less and loads of fun...

P1010748.jpg

Love the white wall tyre's...... Very retro, looking good. Quattro born to do it
    With great power comes great responsibility.......

1st Gear

Status
    Looks so good with that awesome blue contrasting with the snow

Current: 2010 Audi S3 Sportback S-tronic
    Ex: 2007 Audi A3 Sportback - 2.0T DSG
    Ex: 2008 Opel Corsa OPC
    Ex: 2004 Opel Corsa Lite
    Ex: 1978 VW Beetle

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Acheron View Post
    Looks so good with that awesome blue contrasting with the snow
    A little more detail as its still snowing...

n Friday 18th 2013 we awoke to 20cm of snow on the drive.

Fortunately, I had a dental appointment at 11.30 and to get to my destination - 2-miles away - I knew I had to negotiate at least 2-steep snow covered roads whichever way I went.

Within 1-mile from home, half-way down the first steep snow/ice covered hill (Stafford Lane), the road was blocked with cars attempting to climb the hill on both sides all no doubt on their cost effective summer tyres; local residents were out pushing, digging, gritting, etc.,

So, with my trusty RS3 shod with 19-inch VREDESTEIN Wintrac 4xtreme tyres, we undertook a 3-point turn (ok a 5-point turn) in front of several cars slipping and sliding up the hill (and several behind). It was just so easy, and so off back up the hill the way we came via a second more-steep (Church) hill that no one fortunately had attempted, and we arrived at the dentist's in time.

Back home, dental work completed, and having had so much fun with the RS3, we decided to get off to the Malt Shovel at Chorley, high on Cannock Chase, for lunch. But this was 7-miles away and very much up and down and on snow covered back lanes.

P101x.jpg

Again, the car/tyre combination was superb, faultless even.

I can only recommend these tyres positively; they've proven to be faultless on snow, frost, ice, rain, and dry roads, as well as 70-mph plus speeds on A/B roads and motorways.

My second year on them, and no noticeable wear: on my wife's TT too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

1st Gear

Status
    & the brakes dont squeel in the snow! ;-)
    Currently testing Audi's RS3 brake fix......will it work

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3 AD View Post
    & the brakes dont squeel in the snow! ;-)
    only cause the esp has been tapping the brakes the whole journey lol
    VCDS in North Wales
    2007 A6 3.0TDi S-Line Le Mans Avant , adaptive xenon lights, sunroof, privacy glass, towbar, led rears & randomly rear seat airbags
    1999 Honda S2000 , mcb low milage jap import, fully bushed, mugen exhaust <<< for sale! <<<
    2001 Passat TDi 130 Sport < sold!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/Passat/PB140007s.jpg

Status
    Think i will be getting some snow tyres as i,m paranoid as hell ,when theres snow or ice ,car just sits there ...any pictures of the tyres up close,before they where put back on the car.. cheers..

1st Gear

Status
    I have actually been impressed with how the standard conti's ave copped in the snow. Not impressed in just the wet so I wasnt expecting much and was very tenative at first in the snow but they have done very well on roads walking is difficult on
    Currently testing Audi's RS3 brake fix......will it work

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3kel View Post
    Think i will be getting some snow tyres as i,m paranoid as hell ,when theres snow or ice ,car just sits there ...any pictures of the tyres up close,before they where put back on the car.. cheers..
    Call me if I can help: I AM 100% with these animals: the ones on the left are for winter, obvously.

Tyres.jpg
    robbiemac likes this.

Status
    Thanks ,you got them on your standard alloys? They look good ,i was looking for small spikes on the tyres ,thats probally for extreme conditions...

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3kel View Post
    Thanks ,you got them on your standard alloys? They look good ,i was looking for small spikes on the tyres ,thats probally for extreme conditions...
    On standard RS3 19-inch rims as shown - VREDESTEIN Wintrac 4xtreme tyres.

NO spikes, honest: check Vredestein website.

I've the same Vredestein tyres on my TT but on 17-inch rims; again, mega purchase on snow/ice/frost/wet/dry roads at minus 7degrees 'C' temperatures.

SAFE, SAFE, SAFE!

And, when you sell the car, I'll bet you can get most of your money beck on the wheel/tyre combo: I did on my A2, TT3.2, and S3 - all with 100mm centre 5-stud wheels. The RS3 and TT Mk 2 are 112mm of course (tsk)

2nd Gear

Status
    As an S3 owner I have to agree that the Goodyear ultragrip 8's I purchased in November really have paid off in the snow!!
    car feels like it can go anywhere.
    2012 Misano Red RS3 / Bucket seats Heated front & Rear / Aluminium Styling Pack / Bose / RNS-E / Bluetooth / Mobile phone prep low / AMI / Reversing Sensors / LED number plate lights / Led interior light pack / VCDS / Cruise Control / Exclusive Inlays / Auto Lights & Wipers / 8.5J fronts / extended leather /

P_G
    2nd Gear

Status
    I'd wouls also recommend Continental TS830P's although I think they have updated them to TS850's now but winter Conti's regularly win winter tyre tests including EVO's IIRC.

Ironically they had more grip at 10 degrees C than the summer Conti's!

1st Gear

Status
    I've gone for Michelin Pilot Alpin 4 (PA4) winter tyres - ultra high performance and rated W for speed, so up to 150mph. Same sizes front and back as the Continentals i.e. 325 rear and 335 front - got plenty of queries about that from the tyre people (Micheldever Tyres) but more narrow at the rear is correct. Got these subsidised by the dealer as a goodwill gesture for not being able to resolve the brake squeal issue - now sorted!