Performance

nickbb

Reaction score
I ordered a back issue of Audi Driver (Feb 12) because they had a review of the RS3. They are scientific in the way they measure acceleration etc, tho i don't know if they have the usual 2-up with full tank etc.

Anyway, for those interested in their results i thought i'd post them. The numbers in brackets are for their tests on TTRS manual, RS4 saloon, RS6 avant and RS5 respectively:

0-50mph 3.2s {3.6 3.7 3.5 3.7}

0-60 4.3 {4.6 4.3 4.5 4.7}

0-80 7.0 {7.8 7.0 7.1 7.3}

0-100 11.0

In my view, the following is more important in the real world and it's damn impressive!

30-50 (3rd gear) 1.5 {2.7 2.9 2.2 1.8}

50-70 (3rd gear) 2.5 {2.6 2.8 2.6 2.3}

[Overall mpg: 24.7]

Aside from their reservations about the firmness of the ride (one i don't share) the 4 page review is very positive (as you'd expect from this mag), but i think they do make the point that most reviews havn't: "...when you look back at the history of the RS models, virtually all of them have been Avants. In a way then the RS3 was bound to be a mini-estate..."

I think Audi have more or less succeeded on creating a niche of it's own for the RS3, because there are few direct comparisons, eg 1M is a saloon (tries too hard for my liking), M3 is a coupe/saloon (there's millions of them) , M135 is coupe but 3 dooor (if it was a person it'd be uglier than Ann Widdecombe). And personally, i don't think 40k is a steep price when you think that you get a prestige car and this performance. Put another way, when i have a minute i'm going to look through EVO and see what you have to pay for other cars that can get to 60 in 4.6s (official figure), and the list of 5 seater cars with comparable performance must be very short indeed.

Anyway, hope the above is of some interest.

Nick

Interesting write up, I'll look forward to your update :)

I ordered a back issue of Audi Driver (Feb 12) because they had a review of the RS3. They are scientific in the way they measure acceleration etc, tho i don't know if they have the usual 2-up with full tank etc.

Anyway, for those interested in their results i thought i'd post them. The numbers in brackets are for their tests on TTRS manual, RS4 saloon, RS6 avant and RS5 respectively:

0-50mph 3.2s {3.6 3.7 3.5 3.7}

0-60 4.3 {4.6 4.3 4.5 4.7}

0-80 7.0 {7.8 7.0 7.1 7.3}

0-100 11.0

In my view, the following is more important in the real world and it's damn impressive!

30-50 (3rd gear) 1.5 {2.7 2.9 2.2 1.8}

50-70 (3rd gear) 2.5 {2.6 2.8 2.6 2.3}

[Overall mpg: 24.7]

Aside from their reservations about the firmness of the ride (one i don't share) the 4 page review is very positive (as you'd expect from this mag), but i think they do make the point that most reviews havn't: "...when you look back at the history of the RS models, virtually all of them have been Avants. In a way then the RS3 was bound to be a mini-estate..."

I think Audi have more or less succeeded on creating a niche of it's own for the RS3, because there are few direct comparisons, eg 1M is a saloon (tries too hard for my liking), M3 is a coupe/saloon (there's millions of them) , M135 is coupe but 3 dooor (if it was a person it'd be uglier than Ann Widdecombe). And personally, i don't think 40k is a steep price when you think that you get a prestige car and this performance. Put another way, when i have a minute i'm going to look through EVO and see what you have to pay for other cars that can get to 60 in 4.6s (official figure), and the list of 5 seater cars with comparable performance must be very short indeed.

Anyway, hope the above is of some interest.

Nick

Great write up.

do subscribe to Audi driver and the tests / write ups are great.
the RS3 does punch above its weight.
its a real keeper for me after owning an RS2 for 12 years.

Useful info Nick thanks.

I agree the stats are impressive and the RS3 feels as quick on real roads. The 0-60 of 4.3 is easy to believe, the roll on performance is truly impressive.

The only similarly priced car, that I've owned, with similar performance was the Evo MR FQ360 but you'd need no ounce of mechanical sympathy to extract that kind of start and by three figures I think the RS3 - given the shift advantage of DSG - would be ahead. The RS3 is a whole lot easier to live too and still has space for the free pitbull that came with the Mitsi ;)