Third set of discs and pads in six months due to heat problems

matty779blue

Reaction score
Hi all

My first post on here!

Not sure if any of you are aware that there is an engineering re-work on the brakes for the RS3. I am now on my third set of discs and pads in 15,000 miles. The last two sets have been replaced under warranty due to heat damage resulting in the car shaking when applying the brakes (bascially warped discs). Same issue that people faced with the TTRS.

They had the car overnight and have drilled 24 holes in the driver side bumber grill (the one that is blanked off) and run duct work from there to cool the discs. This was done a month ago and it seems to have solved my problems.

Matt

Hi all

My first post on here!

Not sure if any of you are aware that there is an engineering re-work on the brakes for the RS3. I am now on my third set of discs and pads in 15,000 miles. The last two sets have been replaced under warranty due to heat damage resulting in the car shaking when applying the brakes (bascially warped discs). Same issue that people faced with the TTRS.

They had the car overnight and have drilled 24 holes in the driver side bumber grill (the one that is blanked off) and run duct work from there to cool the discs. This was done a month ago and it seems to have solved my problems.

Matt

Wow three sets. Have you pushed them hard or do they overheat that easily? I heared they cook brakes but not done mine yet.
Did they literally drill holes in the blanking plate or replace the plate with one with pre drilled holes?

Wow three sets. Have you pushed them hard or do they overheat that easily? I heared they cook brakes but not done mine yet.
Did they literally drill holes in the blanking plate or replace the plate with one with pre drilled holes?

I am not sure whether they drill the holes or replace the blanking plate. Looks to me like they drilled them. The ducting gets masticed in which is why they need it overnight. Takes a bit of time to to dry.

They tried to charge me for the first set which was after 5,000 miles. They were pushed hard but the roads around me work the brakes quiet hard. Very windy lanes with long straights at intervals. The second set were worked a lot less hard but the shaking was pretty bad by 8,000 miles. This new set have been pushed as hard as the last and I have had no issues at all. Previously the discs would be glowing orange and the pads smoking.

I bought some Pagid RS19 pads at £300 which I was going to fit when it happened again. THey are still sitting under my desk. ...........

You've been driving that hard man.......... Predict brakes are the start of a very long parts bill. :thumbsup:

You dont buy an RS3 to poodle about ;)
Yeah has been driven hard. Luckily its a company car lol

mmmm hope it's you're company. Check the small print of you're contract agreement with Audi,
just because it's contract hire doesn't relinquish excessive wear and tear......
in addition I wouldn't recommend further posts on here as Audi employees, salesmen etc.
surf this and other websites......
Wouldn't be the first time, remember these cars are rare.
keep you're details close to you're chest and maybe listen to Radio 2 for a bit:whistle2: might slow you down,
but I doubt it...

Car is owned by my company so not a contract agreement.
At the end of the day you dont buy an RS3 and expect the brakes to overhead as soon as you drive it a little hard.
At the end of the day these are very wiggly countrylanes so not massive speed. Just lots of on off braking.
Luckily my local Audi dealer know us well as we buy all our company cars through them.

in that case forget what I said and drive you're car like you've stole it...... respect my cars to much to rag them to death.....

Lol i cant afford the petrol. Bought an X5 BMW last week for day to day and now only drive it on the odd occassion.
Would love to be shown this magical 31 mpg that the book and a few owners on here have achieved.
25 mpg is just about do-able