Chris NottMonster Motorsport
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By klauster

Thread: Diamond cut alloy repair?

MBK
    5th Gear

Status

Diamond cut alloy repair?

Hi all, I'm looking for some help/advice getting one of my alloys repaired. It was the most annoying low speed curb catch on the rear passenger wheel and now needs to be repaired. I've managed to avoid this for years so its frustrating to find repair on these wheels is far from easy.

The diamond cut edge is causing a problem - local Audi dealer can't help, their repairer doesn't repair these, much the same story for many of the local wheel people.

Only one local independent alloy repair place has quoted and they it will take say 5-7 days as they have to send the wheel away. The trouble is with no spare the car is effectively off the road. They offered to switch for a set of A4 18" wheels for the repair but I can't imagine 18" wheels fit over the front caliper on the RS3 and I'm really not sure about running 19" front and 18" rear.

I can't imagine I'm the first person to curb a diamond cut wheel so any suggestions how to get a repair done or other repairers in the South Wales area that might be able help? Or is there another solution I'm not seeing?

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Feel for you m8, Ive curbed the same back wheel twice now , I'm just glad I didn't get it done the first time as I would of cried!!
    Coming soon the new Audi RS3.... see it attached to your rear bumper on the Motorway no matter how fast you go!

1st Gear

Status
    Simple ...get em all painted BLACK.

MBK
    5th Gear

Status
    Thanks, I'm not too gutted about the curbing life happens and at least I avoided anything worse, I am bothered by the idea of a week away for repair!

The painting option was mentioned, I dismissed it at the time but you know I think it might be the way forward. Even after repair I do not want to be in this situation again. I will be avoiding diamond cut alloys in future that's for sure.

All the gear.. No idea

Status
    Lepsons - Alloy Wheel Refurbishment | Alloy Wheel Repair | Lepsons
    I'm having my q7 wheels refurbed with them and they are meant to be one of the best in the country for diamond wheel refurbing...
    and no .. there appears to be no way of doing it without it taking a few days..
    Red is the colour..

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Feel for you m8, Ive curbed the same back wheel twice now , I'm just glad I didn't get it done the first time as I would of cried!!
    I slightly kerbed my rear right 2 hours after getting the car, reversing off a kerb I'd parked up on to avoid damaging the rim. Was kinda glad actually, minor damage, first scratch and all that.

Spent £300 getting this sort of stuff fixed on the old motor but nobody else noticed and it made no difference to the trade in price so I won't be bothering again, just don't keep the wheels spotless!

Did someone say no spare? Car is in for the recall fix/software update right now (plus brake squeal, satnav and bluetooth fault) so can't check but are you serious?!

Status
    No spare!!

Just a can of tyre foam and a compressor, so anything other than a basic nick and your snookered (it's the same in the S3).

I'm running 19" RS3's on mine and after some of the really heavy rains we had in summer I went over a tree branch on a B road late at night and in the morning when I checked the car out there was a surface scratch on the polished face. Local dealer could do nothing (which is ironic as they offer 3 year alloy wheel protection package as part of the 'Audi Protect' package they sell you!).

Will keep Lepson's number handy .

As for your brake clearance, you may find you can run an 18" rim, but it will be the offset clearance to the outer face of the wheel that might be the issue rather than the diameter. I think my RS3 rims were ET48, so you'd need at ET of at least that and anything up to about ET43. Much more than that and the wheels might catch the inner arch liners when suspension is under full compression.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_S3 View Post
    No spare!!

Just a can of tyre foam and a compressor, so anything other than a basic nick and your snookered (it's the same in the S3).

I'm running 19" RS3's on mine and after some of the really heavy rains we had in summer I went over a tree branch on a B road late at night and in the morning when I checked the car out there was a surface scratch on the polished face. Local dealer could do nothing (which is ironic as they offer 3 year alloy wheel protection package as part of the 'Audi Protect' package they sell you!).

Will keep Lepson's number handy .

As for your brake clearance, you may find you can run an 18" rim, but it will be the offset clearance to the outer face of the wheel that might be the issue rather than the diameter. I think my RS3 rims were ET48, so you'd need at ET of at least that and anything up to about ET43. Much more than that and the wheels might catch the inner arch liners when suspension is under full compression.
    Hi Warren, the RS3 wheel is ET50.

Here is a picture (of one of my winter wheels) showing identification:

P1010086.jpg

Audi Heaven

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by quattro81 View Post
    Lepsons - Alloy Wheel Refurbishment | Alloy Wheel Repair | Lepsons
    I'm having my q7 wheels refurbed with them and they are meant to be one of the best in the country for diamond wheel refurbing...
    and no .. there appears to be no way of doing it without it taking a few days..
    Lepsons gets my vote too... there work is second to none and it's worth the wait. Diamond cut wheels take time due to the nature of the finish.
    Scott

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

1st Gear

Status
    Coming previously from a Golf GTI (Monza Shadows), Diamond Cut Wheel Refurbs is a common thread on the GTI forums

Here are some pics and contacts that GTi owners have found :-

There's a few places that will do a good repair of diamond cut Monzas - A1 Wheels in Wolverhampton being one - there's plenty of happy Mk 5 Gti owners had theirs refurbished there. They can do this too :

Paint the insides black on older Mk 5 Monzas and then cut back and refurb the diamond cut face
    Other places that used to refurb them are (taken from another thread ) :-

Rimfurbish

Rimfurbish
    0121 525 2525
    Matt Ball
    £70 + VAT per wheel
    £7.50 + VAT per wheel to strip and refit tyres
    £30 + VAT total shipping (all journeys)

Lepsons
    Alloy Wheel Refurbishment | Alloy Wheel Repair | Lepsons
    01634 580582
    £68 + VAT per wheel - 7 working days
    £90 + VAT per wheel - Leave whole vehicle, 2 working days, booked solid for several weeks
    Have samples in their showroom to decide whether their Diamond Cut is close enough to the existing wheels

Spit & Polish
    Welcome to Spit and Polish - Alloy wheel refurbishing in Kent
    01732 367771
    £62 + VAT per wheel - 5 working days, or leave whole vehicle, 1.5 working days, booked solid for several weeks

Pristine Alloy Wheel Refurbishers
    Home
    01908 282628

MBK
    5th Gear

Status
    Thanks all that is useful information. To be fair the local place that quoted has repaired some S3 alloys before to a high standard so it's just a case of finding 5-7 days when I can have the car off the road or go for the painted option. No rush so I will have a think about it.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MBK View Post
    Thanks all that is useful information. To be fair the local place that quoted has repaired some S3 alloys before to a high standard so it's just a case of finding 5-7 days when I can have the car off the road or go for the painted option. No rush so I will have a think about it.
    I've just had my rear swapped with a new alloy I bought the other week from Stoke Audi (bit the bullet and bought a spare..£707...) as I kerbed it a couple of weeks ago and was umming and ahhing as to what to do...

A1 wheels in Wolverhampton have my kerbed one and are going to diamond cut it, I'll post up pics when it comes back.

I've used them several times before and the results are always superb.

On a journey...

Status
    There is a very good place in Bridgend (Brackla industrial estate?) that does this sort of thing - they did a very good job on my old Clio Williams wheels, but that was back in 2004! Think they are still there, but I don't recall their name.
    S3 Sportback S-Tronic (2010) - Brilliant Red
    Technology Pack (RNSE 2, Bluetooth, 6-CD stack), BOSE, roof rails, 2 child seats and 310bhp

1st Gear

Status
    I got tyre and alloy wheel insurance for £300 for my rs3 can get 5 tyres over 3years and 2 wheels refurb a year I think mate worth looking into that

7th Gear

Status
    I have similar issue. Kerbed two of my diamond cut alloys on passenger side but dred ringing up and going through paperwork. Someone at work who TBH, a lot of stuff he tells people you have to take with a pinch of salt. He told me some places just replace the whole wheel even if there is not much damage if you have insurance as it doesn't cost you any more for a new wheel than to fix the old one. Not sure if I believe any of this. Have been told that generally tyres don't last long on RS3 so if true I might get them fixed when my tyres need replacing. This was from an A4 owner.

All the gear.. No idea

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by HullRs3 View Post
    I have similar issue. Kerbed two of my diamond cut alloys on passenger side but dred ringing up and going through paperwork. Someone at work who TBH, a lot of stuff he tells people you have to take with a pinch of salt. He told me some places just replace the whole wheel even if there is not much damage if you have insurance as it doesn't cost you any more for a new wheel than to fix the old one. Not sure if I believe any of this. Have been told that generally tyres don't last long on RS3 so if true I might get them fixed when my tyres need replacing. This was from an A4 owner.
    I would say that, on the whole, your work colleague is talking out of his a$$.. check the prices of a new genuine audi alloy - especially the diamond cut ones and you'll see they are a LOT more than the cost of repair! Never go into business with that guy - sounds like you'd lose a lot of money!!
    Red is the colour..

Neutral

Status
    They say diamond cuts can corrode easily.. particularly during the winter periods..

I'm thinking of having mind painted instead..

1st Gear

Status
    RenoWheel. Owner Steve. Has an S3 too! Not 100% sure he does diamond cut.

Renowheel

Quote Originally Posted by Ben H View Post
    There is a very good place in Bridgend (Brackla industrial estate?) that does this sort of thing - they did a very good job on my old Clio Williams wheels, but that was back in 2004! Think they are still there, but I don't recall their name.
    Ibis RS3 - Buckets - Bose - Black Ed - Privacy - New Brakes
    VW California GP 180 DSG "Candy"

5th Gear

Status

Amazing alloy wheel refurbishment/repair

JP Alloys in Cannock: JP Alloys Ltd | Alloy Wheel Refurbishment Cannock

They've just had a new diamond-cutting machine that's producing a 'mirror' finish, quite amazing!

PS: these guys refurbish alloy wheels for the local Audi, BMW, and Lexus, garages.

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    I can sort this mate, I offer Diamond Cutting:

Diamond Cutting!

Status
    So for those of you wondering whether to go diamond cut (given the salt tarnishing etc.), if you were to go with paint instead of the diamond cut, what colour would you choose?

The reason I ask is that I find the rotor wheels look small. I changed to RS3 alloys as to my eyes the S3's 18's looked more like 17's, and 19's look like 18's. I don't know if it's because the spokes don't meet the outer edge of the rim with a defined edge, or whether it's something to do with the polished outer lip.

I have panther black paint, and the painted grey section of the rotor is quite a flat colour. I've seen aftermarket rotors and the grey on those is a glossed gunmetal colour which looks fresh but clearly 'aftermarket'.

Also I find the rotor wheels get very dirty / tarnished quite quickly (despite clay baring and a couple of coats of Jetseal 109).

I wondered with the black car whether a black spoke would work, but with black car paint on a black edition with tints it might look too gangster!

If you were looking to paint your rims would you go back for OEM with a silver painted (or maybe shadow chromed) outer rim, or for something else (maybe something to contrast the paint job of your car)?
    Last edited by warren_S5; 23rd October 2012 at 13:13.

MBK
    5th Gear

Status
    Thanks for the suggestions, I still haven't managed to get the repair done yet - due to the time the repair takes.

I'm weighing up the pro's (safety) and cons (storage) of a second set of alloys with some winter tyres and then get the repair done.

I did find a 'replica' 19" rotor wheel for £180 which is an alternative for use as a spare while the wheel is away for repair - but again I don't really want the wheel hanging around afterwards. I've run cars with 2 sets of wheels before and it's just more stuff to look after so I'm not sure - only really worth it for track cars imo.

I'd have happily paid a few ££ extra if Audi had a loan 19" wheel and they could have sorted the repair. I'm sure this happens often enough to make a loan wheel viable.

If I painted I'd go matt black with a red car, or as suggested just paint to the same colour scheme as OEM.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MBK View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions, I still haven't managed to get the repair done yet - due to the time the repair takes.

I'm weighing up the pro's (safety) and cons (storage) of a second set of alloys with some winter tyres and then get the repair done.

I did find a 'replica' 19" rotor wheel for £180 which is an alternative for use as a spare while the wheel is away for repair - but again I don't really want the wheel hanging around afterwards. I've run cars with 2 sets of wheels before and it's just more stuff to look after so I'm not sure - only really worth it for track cars imo.

I'd have happily paid a few ££ extra if Audi had a loan 19" wheel and they could have sorted the repair. I'm sure this happens often enough to make a loan wheel viable.

If I painted I'd go matt black with a red car, or as suggested just paint to the same colour scheme as OEM.
    Hi Mark,

Who have you spoken to locally?
    Speaking to Steve at Renowheel last night and he sends diamond cut repairs to Pristine which has 5-7day turn around but he's hopefully just about to get some spare RS3 warranty alloys in which could be used as loan wheels.
    Ibis RS3 - Buckets - Bose - Black Ed - Privacy - New Brakes
    VW California GP 180 DSG "Candy"

MBK
    5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrG View Post
    Hi Mark,

Who have you spoken to locally?
    Speaking to Steve at Renowheel last night and he sends diamond cut repairs to Pristine which has 5-7day turn around but he's hopefully just about to get some spare RS3 warranty alloys in which could be used as loan wheels.
    That's great I will give him a call, looks like we might have a solution at last.

5th Gear

Status

Diamond cut alloy repair?

I used pristine to repair and diamond cut my Bentley wheels and the did a great job.

2009 Suzuki GSXR1000K9 SE in White
    2012 Triumph Speed Triple R in Black
    2012 RS3 in Racing Mica Blue
    2012 A1 TFSI in Misano red (shared with mum)

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tee-bee View Post
    They say diamond cuts can corrode easily.. particularly during the winter periods..

I'm thinking of having mind painted instead..

Ive had dozen of polished rims over the years and they have all ended up blown and looking horrible, never again, damn you road salt

P_G
    2nd Gear

Status
    First job with the RS3 is G-Techniq C5 and a couple of coats at that on the rims to protect them.

5th Gear

Status
    winter still wrecks them, i've got cut wheels on my s2000 and they still look mint after 4 summers

winter wheels are the way forward

as for 18"s not fitting over brakes..... what winter wheel package do audi offer for the rs3?
    VCDS in North Wales
    2007 A6 3.0TDi S-Line Le Mans Avant , adaptive xenon lights, sunroof, privacy glass, towbar, led rears & randomly rear seat airbags
    1999 Honda S2000 , mcb low milage jap import, fully bushed, mugen exhaust <<< for sale! <<<
    2001 Passat TDi 130 Sport < sold!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/Passat/PB140007s.jpg

6th Gear

Status
    My son bought a 2010 Volkswagen Golf about 2 months ago and 2 of the wheels on one side are normal and the other 2 still have a diamond cut finish, obviously on one side both wheels have been repaired and put to standard, my son has just scratched his wheel on the previous repaired wheel, lucky it wasn't on the diamond cut side :0
    Her 2011 Limited Edition A4 Dynamik 2.0 Tfsi quattro 211 BHP Saloon & Mine 2013 Bmw 535D M Sport 313 Bhp 630nm.
    ***Audi's In The Park***The Biggest Audi Event In Europe 10th August 2014*** http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audis-park-aitp-2014/221933-audis-park-2014-show-10th-august-billing-aquadrome.html
    Reputation given for the best answer.

5th Gear

Status
    Is there anyway to fix kerb marks yourself?

Or does anybody know any repairers in the Moray/Highland/Aberdeenshire area?
    2009 Audi A4 2.0 TFSI S line, Misano Red, 19" Black Edition Rotors, RS4 Grille, Sat Nav, AMI, Bluetooth, Phone & Voice Prep, CD Changer, Gloss Pack, Heated Seats, Cruise Control, Electric Folding Mirrors, S line Suspension, Dynamic Boot Spoiler, K&N Typhoon Induction Kit

5th Gear

Status
    Mark, If you are passing Leeds let me know, I can lend you one of mine while you get yours repaired... as I don't use em
    45bvtc likes this.
    www.SubZerosystems.co.uk - IT Consultancy

Reverse Gear

Status
    Mbk where are you based?
    TT RS - Suzuka Grey

Mods: APR Stage1, Forge FMIC, Milltek Cat Bypass