Volks AutosSky Insurance
    1st Gear

Status

are you able to start your car without putting your foot on the brake?

hi guys, audi were quite puzzled with my car today when i pointed out that i can start it without applying the foot brake, i do get the message to apply footbrake but only after ive already started the car ,lol

have ago please and post up
    cheers
    Coming soon the new Audi RS3.... see it attached to your rear bumper on the Motorway no matter how fast you go!

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    hi guys, audi were quite puzzled with my car today when i pointed out that i can start it without applying the foot brake, i do get the message to apply footbrake but only after ive already started the car ,lol

cheers
    Hi Sticks,

1) My 61-plate RS3 does the same; the engine will start (and run) without depressing the brake pedal. The (first position) ignition display shows: "To start engine or select gear apply footbrake when stationary".

2) My 53-plate TT 3.2 DSG roadster will also start without depressing the brake pedal, however, the (first position) ignition display shows a somewhat different instruction i.e.: "When stationary apply footbrake while selecting gear".

Note: I/we did a 425-mile trip around Lyme Bay yesterday (to both eat (Hive Beach Cafe) and soak up some (lots of) sun) and while the engine, gearbox, and brakes of this 3.2 TT are good, the car is (bloody) agricultural when comparing it to an RS3; but at least the roof comes down…

3) My 53-plate A2 (1.6 FSI with manual gearbox) starts exactly the same (just turn the key), but no display message.

4) Just for a laugh: my 1971 Lotus Elan Sprint has entirely different start up characteristics, two/three pumps of the accelerator pedal (when cold) and crank - no visual display at all! Caution, however: if you give it two/three pumps when 'hot' then you'd best be prepared to remove the spark plugs and dry them off before trying again; happy days…

Regards…
    Last edited by 45bvtc; 31st August 2012 at 16:55.

1st Gear

Status
    Just been reading more of the manual regarding my parking problem, and noticed what you mention above, and was almost certain that I have started without pressing foot brake. However may be doing it without realising.

Will let you know.

1st Gear

Status
    Yep. Twice infact...... that's 2/2 reporting minor default.

1st Gear

Status
    and i thought i had the only SPECIAL car !!, seems like this is quite widespread and as i thought goes unnoticed by drivers, but anyway get it into audi as it shouldnt be special in that way
    Coming soon the new Audi RS3.... see it attached to your rear bumper on the Motorway no matter how fast you go!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post

cheers
    Tried this earlier today and yes, the car will start with the stick in P and without the brake being depressed, although the handbrake was on...

1st Gear

Status
    Hi guys just a quick update , Audi called me today re starting car without applying footbrake , they basically said all this model does it and that's that .
    I still havnt got my car back as Audi are now performing some extra update available about sticky gears ,
    cheers

7th Gear

Status
    FYI when I tried a demonstrator from Lincoln last year, this would not startup unless you put your foot on the brake. Also, I have accidentally caught myself out on my car as I couldn't start it once with foot on brake, then realised it wasn't in P! I had put it in gear as I was trying to back out of a parking spaces by a few inches as I was too close to a concrete sleeper.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by HullRs3 View Post
    FYI when I tried a demonstrator from Lincoln last year, this would not startup unless you put your foot on the brake. Also, I have accidentally caught myself out on my car as I couldn't start it once with foot on brake, then realised it wasn't in P! I had put it in gear as I was trying to back out of a parking spaces by a few inches as I was too close to a concrete sleeper.
    Mine starts without the brake also.
    2012 RS3 Daytona grey - VW T5 Transporter 4motion 130 - VW UP!

Audi Heaven

Status
    Our MY2010 170 TDI DSG starts in P without your foot on the brake pedal. It won't let you take the key out though if you turn the engine off in D and you must have your foot on the brake to move from N to D....
    Scott

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

7th Gear

Status
    Since my last post I have tried this on my RS3 a few times this week, & yes mine is start when in Park too! Only had mine since Feb.
    Then I noticed the heater controls which are supposed to be independent were increasing both together when I altered the drivers side.

5th Gear

Status
    My S-tronic will start without foot on brake, but it will lurch forward a few inches in the process.

1st Gear

Status
    Yes !
    Audi RS3 in Daytona Grey, 7sp S-Tronic, Sept 2012

Reverse Gear

Status

are you able to start your car without putting your foot on the brake?

Quote Originally Posted by HullRs3 View Post
    Since my last post I have tried this on my RS3 a few times this week, & yes mine is start when in Park too! Only had mine since Feb.
    Then I noticed the heater controls which are supposed to be independent were increasing both together when I altered the drivers side.
    You can link them by holding 'auto'. Turn the passenger side one and it should make them independent again
    ANYTHING'S POSSIBLE... THE IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

PS3 GAMER : VAUXBEN