Monster MotorsportJMB Retrofits

Thread: Security...

1st Gear

Status

Security...

Been reading about thefts of vehicles and interiors on forum posts/You Tube (thanks for posting, bad luck if it's you) and wondered if anyone has fitted additional security technology to their motors? If so, any recommendations? At the moment I just have low-tech deterrents, a hammer, crowbar and pickaxe handle!

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy_marcus View Post
    Been reading about thefts of vehicles and interiors on forum posts/You Tube (thanks for posting, bad luck if it's you) and wondered if anyone has fitted additional security technology to their motors? If so, any recommendations? At the moment I just have low-tech deterrents, a hammer, crowbar and pickaxe handle!
    Had a Tracker (with lifetime membership) fitted as soon as I got the car home: £500 ish.
    Last edited by 45bvtc; 21st August 2012 at 13:16.

5th Gear

Status
    a garage
    VCDS in North Wales
    2007 A6 3.0TDi S-Line Le Mans Avant , adaptive xenon lights, sunroof, privacy glass, towbar, led rears & randomly rear seat airbags
    1999 Honda S2000 , mcb low milage jap import, fully bushed, mugen exhaust <<< for sale! <<<
    2001 Passat TDi 130 Sport < sold!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/Passat/PB140007s.jpg

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 45bvtc View Post
    Had a Tracker (with lifetime membership) fitted as soon as I got the car home: £500 ish.
    Trackers are no deterrent to professional thieves, especially those that steal to order, as they know exactly how to defeat them.

Try getting Tracker to tell you what percentage of cars fitted with a Tracker are not recovered...
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

Audi Heaven

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    Trackers are no deterrent to professional thieves, especially those that steal to order, as they know exactly how to defeat them.

Try getting Tracker to tell you what percentage of cars fitted with a Tracker are not recovered...
    Agreed, trackers are not really a deterrent, plus I wouldn't want to know where my car was if it was stolen! I'd rather never see it again!

Garage all day long for ultimate security if it's possible....
    Scott

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ste_Nova View Post
    a garage
    Awesome, thanks for your input.

_G_
    4th Gear

Status
    APR remap or Revo... you can use the cruise control stalk to leave it in valet mode so boost will not come or preset speed cannot be exceeded... and as the OBD port is under attack again you can disable the entire engine if you really wanted to by plugging into the OBD depending on your map.

Making a theives life harder and miserable is the way to go. Perhaps adding a hidden ignition kill switch... some folk disagree with Black Jax: Clifford - Accessories because they think that the thief will return and request the pin code but to be honest when the thief is more than 2 miles away you are more likely to be safe. It is a stand alone system and would not interfere with existing gadgetry.

General caution like hiding your keys and not leaving them hanging in a storm porch or in plain view on your fireplace - may be a key safe or something secure... CCTV on your drive or garage are also a good way to go...

1st Gear

Status
    Wheel clamp when parked, security posts on your drive, gps tracker, CCTV , coil pack wire removed, wireless alarm in your house and put a motion sensor in the car at night as its wireless , tracker , upgrade factory fit alarm with microwave sensors,
    The skys the limit
    I will definatly be making some sort of secure box cover for my obd2 port ASAP as its the main weakness,
    Also maybe gonna spend out and get security film so you cant just pop the window and in!
    Coming soon the new Audi RS3.... see it attached to your rear bumper on the Motorway no matter how fast you go!

All the gear.. No idea

Status
    I've got car insurance......
    Red is the colour..

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by quattro81 View Post
    I've got car insurance......
    ...which is neither a deterrent or additional security against theft...

2nd Gear

Status
    Can you not just remove remove the bat+ from the obd port thus not allowing them to communicate with the vehicle?.

5th Gear

Status

2009 Suzuki GSXR1000K9 SE in White
    2012 Triumph Speed Triple R in Black
    2012 RS3 in Racing Mica Blue
    2012 A1 TFSI in Misano red (shared with mum)

All the gear.. No idea

Status
    ...which is neither a deterrent or additional security against theft...
    If someone really wants your car that badly, they will find a way. Sometimes it is better to not cause yourself all the extra expense and stress just to have it nicked anyway...there have been plenty of horror stories about thieves that have turned to violent measures because of the car owners security..
    Red is the colour..

Status
    If someone really wants your car that badly, they will find a way. Sometimes it is better to not cause yourself all the extra expense and stress just to have it nicked anyway...there have been plenty of horror stories about thieves that have turned to violent measures because of the car owners security..

That is spot on.

Also if your security consists of a hammer, crowbar and pickaxe handle then surely you are going to be met with equal force as these people have no morals and you are standing in front of their drug money or whatever they spend it on.

3rd Gear

Status
    Relax, insure it, enjoy it, chances of it getting pinched are slim !

1st Gear

Status
    Fair point and I really don't live in a crime hotspot anyway (small Kent village)! Considering removing the rear RS3 badge though, just to make it less obvious, although I expect that an adept thief will know what the car is. Maybe I'll just chill out after owning the car for more than 10 days...

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by voorhees View Post

That is spot on.

Also if your security consists of a hammer, crowbar and pickaxe handle then surely you are going to be met with equal force as these people have no morals and you are standing in front of their drug money or whatever they spend it on.
    Yeah, as I posted in reply to quattro81, I'll probably get over it soon enough and am obviously an fully insured. It is just a car at the end of the day (but what a car - been out this evening in the rain and the handling is superb!).

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by brasiliangringo View Post
    Relax, insure it, enjoy it, chances of it getting pinched are slim !
    Nice one mate, cheers!

1st Gear

Status
    Hope you've cleaned that dirt off from last night !

Audi Heaven

Status
    Fair point and I really don't live in a crime hotspot anyway (small Kent village)! Considering removing the rear RS3 badge though, just to make it less obvious, although I expect that an adept thief will know what the car is. Maybe I'll just chill out after owning the car for more than 10 days...
    No point in removing the rear badge... You can tell an RS3 if you know what your looking for plus your number plate with bring up the details of the car and with the apps available for free now the info is readily available.

If your going to buy such a car then just enjoy it. Life is too short to worry about things that might not happen.
    Scott

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack