Discount on failed order?

dbm

Reaction score
I'm considering an RS3 from my local Audi garage which is a non-registered car order for someone who placed the order then couldn't get finance and so couldn't complete the deal.

What discount do you think I might be able to wangle from the garage? The list price is quoted at £45,553 but that includes 'Asset Protector' (£899) and 'AutoGlym' (£599) which I think are very low cost items to the garage?

I would tell them to drop the asset protector and autoglym as you can get them
much cheaper yourself.

I'd also push for a discount maybe offering to take out finance as I did and then use your 14 day cooling off period to pay the loan off with no interest 😄

Wow that Autoglym price is eye watering - I think they quoted me £299 and I still declined the umm kind offer.

If by Asset protector is gap insurance by another name, as elton says you can get that much much cheaper - try Autotrader for a competitive quote than ask them to match the price on the same terms - worked for me.

As for discount I guess that depends how generous they are with your part ex figure, have they already effectively offered some extra?

Only my opinion but I'd ditch the 2 add-ons (build them back in later if you really want them) and offer them £40k, you've nothing to lose. No doubt they will try all the usual sales blah 'other people are looking at the car' etc (or the Scarcity technique in influencing, as used by DFS 'sale ends Monday', they just don't say which Monday.) You can counter that with simply saying you are looking at other cars too - it works and once saved me a whole lot of cash on a TT - I left the dealership with them saying they'd never deal at that price. Only 20 minutes later they called to say it was a deal. Clearly it won't work every time and they will be banking on you really really wanting that particular car and therefore willing to pay the full price.

The Asset protector / GAP thing always does my head in - I bought mine for £160 so why are you trying to charge me £799 for the same thing... Grr..

I'd agree with MBK on giving them an offer - you might not get it for £40k but there's no harm in asking...

you can get 25k 4 year return to invoice insurance gap insurance for just £260 here

https://www.ala.co.uk/retail/quote.php?action=goto&group=cars&options=1

there are far better and cheaper systems than autoglym, your local detailing place will be able to make some recommendations

the car retails for 44k (check on audi configurator) i would be looking to pay no more than 42k for it, i would probably start hardball at 40k however, there are very few cars left now and the run finishes in a few weeks, my audi dealer has a nice unregged black one up for 41,500

RS246.com Forum :: The World's #1 Audi R, S and RS Enthusiast Website • View topic - BN Black RS3 at my dealers

Cheers guys, I'll keep all that in mind when I speak with them.

Dave - which is your local Audi garage? I'm willing to travel pretty much anywhere for the right car.

Cheers guys, I'll keep all that in mind when I speak with them.

Dave - which is your local Audi garage? I'm willing to travel pretty much anywhere for the right car.

Walton Audi

https://www.audi.co.uk/locate-a-cen...r-uk/drift-bridge-garage/walton/our-team.html

David Parrot is head of sales, contact details are the link

I only had a quick glance at the RS3, it doesn't have drug dealer glass or buckets but does have bose and the light/rain pack, roof rails, folding mirrors, none smoking pack.

The car looked really nice, I might be tempted to put the silver roof rails on it :p

Cruise is an easy retro fit, they did it to my first car.

Last edited:
I hope so - I've put down a deposit on a car over the phone as it hasn't actually arrived yet! :)

If all goes well I will pick it up this Friday. It's an ex-Audi fleet car so it has undoubtedly been driven enthusiastically already, but since it has two years left on the warranty I figure any problems will manifest long before then.

There was no way I was going to get a discount on the failed order. It was actually sold to someone else on the morning when I was going to take it for a test drive, but since the bucket seats turned out to be far too snug for me and the missus it was no real loss. I have been looking at several nearly new cars on Autotrader, and three of them were sold before I even got the chance to see them, so it was clear to me that I needed to move quickly. When Cambridge Audi gave me a good part-ex against their car (again,over the phone) I gave them a deposit straight away. It's got a great spec, the only thing I would have chosen differently is the colour, but the colour of the car is still nice (Daytona Grey).

I'll post photos once I get the car!

I hope so - I've put down a deposit on a car over the phone as it hasn't actually arrived yet! :)

If all goes well I will pick it up this Friday. It's an ex-Audi fleet car so it has undoubtedly been driven enthusiastically already, but since it has two years left on the warranty I figure any problems will manifest long before then.

There was no way I was going to get a discount on the failed order. It was actually sold to someone else on the morning when I was going to take it for a test drive, but since the bucket seats turned out to be far too snug for me and the missus it was no real loss. I have been looking at several nearly new cars on Autotrader, and three of them were sold before I even got the chance to see them, so it was clear to me that I needed to move quickly. When Cambridge Audi gave me a good part-ex against their car (again,over the phone) I gave them a deposit straight away. It's got a great spec, the only thing I would have chosen differently is the colour, but the colour of the car is still nice (Daytona Grey).

I'll post photos once I get the car!

i just hope its not the red OY11 one that got smashed up ...

i just hope its not the red OY11 one that got smashed up ...

If it is they've given it a full respray :)

Doesn't look like it will happen in time for this Friday but I should get confirmation that the car has arrived soon. ::fingers crossed::