Audi LED number plate lights now available

jerseypaul

Reaction score
Pics and part number for these bad boys.
Just available to order from dealers - officially for A5 convertibles:

4e087e09.jpg

aa69915d.jpg

Later when it's dark could you take a few more?

Gonna buy some depending on the brightness

As well as the errors issue, are these also a straight swap for all A3's do you know ?

Considering the RS3 is an 8P, then I suspect they will fit all 8P versions fine.

Hi guys.
fired them up with the engine running and got the bulb out warning on the DIS.
however the light level is perfect - ie not too bright with even dispersion.
I'm sure there is a fix with a power resistor so will investigate further.
be good if it were possible to disable to bulb check function though.
any ideas VCDS / Vagcom users?
cheers.
heres a pic not quite dark enough really:

f88aa302.jpg

99c9bf5a.jpg

oh no :(

there are no options to disabled the bulb check for plate lamps, the new 8p3's are very sensitive and even changing the reverse lights to LED give off an error.

Thanks
Trups

You see, thats the best led plate light pic I've seen to date.

Thanks Paul, they're so nice I'm gonna get some this week when I'm complaining about my DPF

Nigel, I know these will go in my A3 but will they produce the error Paul got?

Any clue if they'll fit my A6?

You'd need to check mate, as different years have different tolerances as trups has noted.

I know mine is an 8P, but what version of 8P is it?

VIN starts wuazzz8px

I dont see your point tbh chris, as these are new to the scene, so needs testing on various version 8p's, so you would need to buy & test, count yourself lucky as its pennies compared to some modules I've had to buy for testing purposes lol.

Yeah I see where you're coming from, will maybe leave them a while then .. The car doesn't deserve anything after the continuing trouble its giving me :banghead: .. The list is getting longer by the day

just found this on one of the other led threads -

A friend from the German forum confirmed that the new original LED's fit all the 8P's up to 2010. From 2010 it gives an error.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3...di-number-plate-leds-fit-a3-8p-plug-play.html

might just take a punt at them anyway and just see!

Last edited:
Looks good, IMO Audi should have put these on my 2012 car to start with ,tight f*^*ers

I have a 2010 and these caused a bulb out light in the DIS.

Cheers t8.
aparentley the A1 owners club have a fix.
will report back when I get a chance.

Whats there fix paul, do you have a link, i got an adaptor loom for the A1 to stop the error, in the loom it will have a halogen bulb connected to the loom to "trick" the computer so it still thinks a halogen is in there but in fact there is the OEM LED unit.

i have done this to a few BMW's that didnt come with the factory LED's and they work without errors. i will post a picture of my A1 looms tomo.

Thanks

Whats there fix paul, do you have a link, i got an adaptor loom for the A1 to stop the error, in the loom it will have a halogen bulb connected to the loom to "trick" the computer so it still thinks a halogen is in there but in fact there is the OEM LED unit.

i have done this to a few BMW's that didnt come with the factory LED's and they work without errors. i will post a picture of my A1 looms tomo.

Thanks

Nice one.
i did think about a dummy load etc
be interesting to see /try the A1 idea.

Hi gang.
i can't find a neat and easy way to accommodate a power resistor or dummy load so.......
I have modified the original units.
i have some 12 V DC white led strip lying around so I did this:

fb17f954.jpg

It allows the standard 5w filament lamp to sit behind but also blocks the old lamps output.

Fired everything up looks great and no error codes.
Will get an " at night" pic up later.

i was going to sudjest that paul,

can you get me a picture of the back of the OEM led Lamp, i want to see how much space is on there, if there is a decent amount for me to work with i will buy some from audi and make up a tester set and test in HSP's RS3.

or measure how much space there is from the dip in the plastic to the top of the metal clips.?

Thanks
Trups

I have also Audi RS3 and those same LED-lights(A5 cab) and they give an error. What is the easiest way to avoid this?

paul.. check out the thread in the 8p section, there's a guy called lala30 who has just shown everyone how to code the led's with no errors via vcds (byte 17, bit 7).. would be interested to see if this works on yours mate?

So when the coding is done does that mean that you will no longer know about any other bulb failures as i guess it just turns the monitoring off? Or is the coding isolated to the number plate bulbs?

I installed some of these in November last year to my 2008 A3 and they have been working well since.

However, last night I started the car up and I'm getting the Number plate light out on the DIS and both of the units aren't lit up.
Could it be a fuse?
Can anyone help?

Strange how they have just switched off after 4 months!

Chris

did you try today again?

as mine sometimes throws number plate light error, and the lights don't work. but usually after opening and closing the boot they work again. don't know if contact plates are short or it has to do something with cold weather.