Chris NottEM Tuning

Thread: Launch Control?

1st Gear

Status

Launch Control?

Just a quick question - reading through the manual to get to know her inside out......has anyone tried the launch control?

Is it safe to go into this mode and does it pose any risks to warranty - strange question I know when the car and manual offers this, but the salesman said something about limited launches although just advised me to read the manual......

Curious to know other owners comments, recommendations and experiences?

Cheers,
    NOW...another similar RS3?!? ...Phantom Black RS3 with Buckets, folding auto dim mirrors, privacy glass, Bose, Alu inlays, light & rain sensor pack, black exhaust tips and now Scorpion decat pipes and MPSS rubber!

REFUNDED - Phantom Black RS3 with Buckets, folding auto dim mirrors, privacy glass, Bose, Alu inlays, light and rain sensor pack.

GONE - S3 SB BE - '10 plate in Ibis with Buckets; RNS-E; tech & comfort pack; Revo stage 1; Milltek TBE; BBS CK 19's in Anthracite on Asseymetric rubber!

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    I'm waiting till I get 1000 miles on mine before I try.
    Sport button on, ESP in sport mode, S gear selected, left foot on break,floor the throttle. Then release the break.
    Its obviously designed to do it, but Vmax launches can't be good for the drivetrain.
    2012 RS3 Daytona grey - VW T5 Transporter 4motion 130 - VW UP!

1st Gear

Status
    Wonder if Vag.com loggs number of launches??

Neutral

Status
    You can use launch control as many times as you want without voiding the warranty. I had a shot of a demonstartor a few months back and tried the launch a few times. The noise and feeling is amazing. The front of the car feels like its taking off.

Haven't tried it in my own one yet. I've been a good boy so far...

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseypaul View Post
    I'm waiting till I get 1000 miles on mine before I try.
    Sport button on, ESP in sport mode, S gear selected, left foot on break,floor the throttle. Then release the break.
    Its obviously designed to do it, but Vmax launches can't be good for the drivetrain.
    Sounds like good advice mate - 1k miles it is......only 400 miles to go!! Never had this function before so curious more than anything???
    NOW...another similar RS3?!? ...Phantom Black RS3 with Buckets, folding auto dim mirrors, privacy glass, Bose, Alu inlays, light & rain sensor pack, black exhaust tips and now Scorpion decat pipes and MPSS rubber!

REFUNDED - Phantom Black RS3 with Buckets, folding auto dim mirrors, privacy glass, Bose, Alu inlays, light and rain sensor pack.

GONE - S3 SB BE - '10 plate in Ibis with Buckets; RNS-E; tech & comfort pack; Revo stage 1; Milltek TBE; BBS CK 19's in Anthracite on Asseymetric rubber!

1st Gear

Status
    3.7k miles on and just thought - I still haven't done this - is it simply hit 'S' button, then ESP button, then foot on brake with left foot, then right foot on accelerator (to the floor?) and then lift off on left? Does this then put traction off?

Cheers

1st Gear

Status
    As above i havent tried it yet and wont until theres a few more miles on the clock. I dont mind revving it and stretching its legs but draw the line at the lack of mechanical sympathy that must cause.

I'd heard three launches between services but if its not written down then thats obviously rubbish.

I initially thought it was a pointless feature but having seen how much quicker it takes off from the line i'm now converted!

5th Gear

Status
    It's not an RS3 but still has launch control so I had to try it in mine...

I actually looked it up in the manual before doing it to see if it was in there and how you set it up. It doesn't say that it voids the warranty but does warn that there may be higher wear on parts due to the increased loads (obviously!).

Once you have some miles on it I would definitely recommend trying it, even in mine it's pretty awesome, can only imagine what it's like in your cars.
    Daytona Grey A4 3.0 TDi Quattro S-Tronic Black Edition

1st Gear

Status
    I've done launch control in mine with no problems at all.

It is fast of the line.

Sometimes when you have your foot on the brake for too long it would work. So I had to take my foot off the brake, back into park, then into sport and it worked fine.

5th Gear

Status

Launch Control?

Let us know how it is once its mapped

2009 Suzuki GSXR1000K9 SE in White
    2012 Triumph Speed Triple R in Black
    2012 RS3 in Racing Mica Blue
    2012 A1 TFSI in Misano red (shared with mum)

1st Gear

Status
    I tried launch control last week.

1st Question ! :-

What should the engine be doing just before launch ? I thought it was supposed to rev evenly at 3200rpm and then increase when you lift off the brake. Mine seemed to get bogged down and gurgle a bit around 2500rpm

2nd question !

How long a delay are people getting between lifting off the brake and the car lurching forward ?

I had it mastered in my last car - a DSG Golf R - where you did'nt need to plant your right foot down fully on the accelerator.
    Audi RS3 in Daytona Grey, 7sp S-Tronic, Sept 2012

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyG View Post
    I tried launch control last week.

1st Question ! :-

What should the engine be doing just before launch ? I thought it was supposed to rev evenly at 3200rpm and then increase when you lift off the brake. Mine seemed to get bogged down and gurgle a bit around 2500rpm

2nd question !

How long a delay are people getting between lifting off the brake and the car lurching forward ?

I had it mastered in my last car - a DSG Golf R - where you did'nt need to plant your right foot down fully on the accelerator.
    It should be stable at 3200rpm and have almost no delay in launching (like the S3 does ) once you lift off. Are you sure you're doing it right? Be sure to step on the brake hard while doing it...that's where most seem to get it wrong if they've followed the right process.

Current: 2010 Audi S3 Sportback S-tronic
    Ex: 2007 Audi A3 Sportback - 2.0T DSG
    Ex: 2008 Opel Corsa OPC
    Ex: 2004 Opel Corsa Lite
    Ex: 1978 VW Beetle

5th Gear

Status
    Yeah, mine launches straight away...

That said, a couple times I noticed low revs and a slow launch until I realised that there's a little 'click' on the accelerator when you go into launch mode. Basically if you push the throttle all the way down and then some you'll feel it. Try it with the car off and you'll be able to see if yours is the same as mine. If it is then that may solve your problem.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Daggerit View Post
    .... until I realised that there's a little 'click' on the accelerator when you go into launch mode. Basically if you push the throttle all the way down and then some you'll feel it.
    Aaahhhh .. that may be where I went wrong ! thanks for the info
    Audi RS3 in Daytona Grey, 7sp S-Tronic, Sept 2012

5th Gear

Status

Launch Control?

Pleasure mate, I hope it helped!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Boy oh boy! I used launch control yesterday and it was epic! I think I'll start growing new neck muscles lol...

With regards to usage, I had launch control on my previous car (6 speed DSG) which I used many times over it's 74k miles with me. Had no issues whatsoever. I thought as long as the gearbox service is done at the right time (every 40k miles) then all is well?