Monster MotorsportVolks Autos
    Neutral

Status

Retrofit RNS-E into a Bose car again

Hi,
    Just a quick question that has been prompted by me talking to someone with the same car as me who also has Bose, who reckons it's the best sound ever.
    I've had my car (56 plate A4 Avant S Line with Bose) for two and a half years. Before I got it, it had had an RNS-E unit fitted at some point. (still got red DIS, although it wasn't coded for Nav when I got the car. S8Craig sorted that for me.)
    I've never had any problems at all with the sound system, but I've always felt the sound was utterly average.
    I've read a couple of times that when you fit one of these units to a Bose car, you need to swap a wire or two on the wiring harness to make it sound great. Would this make a huge difference to the sound, and how can I tell if it has been done? I have no problem removing the unit by the way to look! Just don't know what I'm looking for!!!
    Sorry to drag this subject up again, but I can't find the answer.

Thanks in advance,

MMM
    2006 '56' A4 Avant S Line TDi 170 Quattro. Full two tone leather, RNS-E, Xenons, Parking sensors, Privacy glass, Cruise control, retro fitted Glovebox changer, Heated seats, Bose, RS4 grille, OEM Bluetooth.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    S8craig would have told you at the time if the harness was incorrect as the BOSE pin error would have been showing. On a 2006 if the wires had not been moved then it would not be codeable as the K-line has to be moved to where the BOSE line would have been and the BOSE wire is then relocated to another empty slot.

The sound in Avants has always been pants for BOSE, the cabin space is just too big. I've owned 9 Audis always the BOSE avants have been fairly pants compared to the tight cabin sound of a saloon. my S8 had BOSE and it was great, the RS6 avant that followed with BOSE was awful. The W12 that followed was great and so was the 4.2 Tdi. The Q7 with BOSE always sounded lacking.

PS: For some reason I feel like attending a dyno day, anyone else?
    Last edited by s8craig; 24th March 2013 at 09:54.

Neutral

Status
    Absolutely brilliant and informative reply. Thank you very much. That has cleared it up nicely!! Cheers
    MMM
    2006 '56' A4 Avant S Line TDi 170 Quattro. Full two tone leather, RNS-E, Xenons, Parking sensors, Privacy glass, Cruise control, retro fitted Glovebox changer, Heated seats, Bose, RS4 grille, OEM Bluetooth.

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s8craig View Post
    S8craig would have told you at the time if the harness was incorrect as the BOSE pin error would have been showing. On a 2006 if the wires had not been moved then it would not be codeable as the K-line has to be moved to where the BOSE line would have been and the BOSE wire is then relocated to another empty slot.

The sound in Avants has always been pants for BOSE, the cabin space is just too big. I've owned 9 Audis always the BOSE avants have been fairly pants compared to the tight cabin sound of a saloon. my S8 had BOSE and it was great, the RS6 avant that followed with BOSE was awful. The W12 that followed was great and so was the 4.2 Tdi. The Q7 with BOSE always sounded lacking.

PS: For some reason I feel like attending a dyno day, anyone else?
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/yorkshi...on-thread.html

6th Gear

Status
    Oh, you thought I was serious