A fine for riding my mountain bike... can this actualy happen??

S3 Paul

Reaction score
Right, Ive been a fan of biking for as long as i can remember so i decided to get back into it, The problems im having is the small group of us that want to go out regular are having problems to go localy. ye we do put them in the car and take off at the weekend but the local runs are the problem.
Today was almost an identical day as the others...
We found an area of woodland. PUBLIC wood land, Headed out to check it out... One of the lads with us had been in many a time a few years back with no problems... this time however we got stopped, swarn at and told it was ilegal to ride in "their woods" we said there was no sign saying we couldnt go in. The woman in question said ive taken your pictures and i will be showing it to the "wood warden" and you will get a fine !
How can this be ? There used to be no problems with the woods but now we have been out lawed.
If there are not signs on ALL the ways into the woods this can not be whats going to happen?

Dont know about where you live as the tresspass law is different in Scotland but I'd have thought some signs would have been required at least.

Wood Warden? I'm sure your quaking in your boots at the prospect of him issuing you a fine, does he go upload you photos into his massive computer system & it spits out your address????

Did you give her permission to take your photo? forceably detain you? cause breach of peace by swearing at you? Its a funny old world..

What a load of rubbish, all made up I can assure you. Don't waste any more energy even thinking about the 'fine'!

Are the paths running through the woods foot paths or bridleways?.

You cant ride on footpaths (yellow arrow in a circle on the gate posts) but you can ride on a bridleway.

Either way, I wouldnt worry about the idiot you spoke to but just check the classification of the footpaths before going back. If its bridleway then go armed with better knowledge than that 'do-gooder' and tell them where to go :)

yeah see that woman.... shes just a bitter old c**t that is probably just lookng to argue with people! My guess is that she is trying one on you so that in future she doesnt get ''hassel'' from cyclists! i wouldnt worry about it mate! id find out where she lives and cycle outside her door!! haha :sly:

hahaha brilliant, does the wood warden look anything like this

Yogi%20Bear%20Cropped%2012-11-05.JPG

shes just trying to blag you, best just ignoring them

Wood warden, lol

What is it, sleepy hollow! does the guy walk around with an axe and target cyclist heads.

check your local authority for cycle routes, you may find the woods are on one and shes just fed up and trying to blag you off! She cant do anything, neither can 'wood wardens' lol, wonder if they look like Dads army ones lol! But if its a footpath as said above, stay off them and stick to bridle paths and cycle ways!

Like Tom said - you can only ride on a bridleway (marked with blue arrows). Riding on a footpath (yellow) could result in prosecution, however it's all down to the landowners descretion. If it's owned by an organisation such as the Woodlands Trust/Wildlife Trust etc. they'll normally just point out that you're on a footpath and could you stick to that route over there please. TBH though the only time I've known the Glos. Wildlife Trust (I volunteer for them) to take legal action was with a bloke who insisted on not using footpaths and got abusive when asked to use them...

like the others have said, i dont think they can do anything without signs warning you that you either on a footpath or private land. my local woods has just been taken over by the local parish, and they are trying to stop bikers going through. they have placed large logs across runs (too big to bunny hop over) so annoying, they have just started to put signs and arrows up.
just ignore them flip them the bird :gun2: and ride on.

also noticed a sign in another woods near me with the bylaws on there and one point said "people found cycling off the routes instructed will be fined 50p" yes it actually said 50p!!! :w00t:
we ****** our self and just said id gladly pay the fine as the instructed routes are ****.