EM TuningVolks Autos
    4th Gear

Status

Small minded t**ts

I read this last night in my local freebie newspaper.........

http://www.chorleycitizen.co.uk/news...ing_ban_fines/

god was I wound up......there are drivers who kill on the road who get less than this.....someone in this politically correct country seems to have their priorities seriously wrong !!!!!

If I walk into a pub and people are smoking .....I have the right to stay in or walk out....its called the right to choose...
    Monza Silver A4 2.0TDi S-Line Avant Quattro (170) - Heated Alcantara Leather, Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Folding Door Miirrors, Electric Tailgate, Privacy Glass, etc

2. # ADS
    ADS

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Whilst I agree with you, the law is the LAW!

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - ÂŁ400

Spooly Spooly Boosty Boosty!

Status
    But then I shouldn't have to choose whether to stay or not because people are smoking.
    You want to smoke, go outside. Don't want to go outside, don't smoke.
    Most people don't smoke - majority rules.
    Cheap and Reliable is not Fast. Cheap and Fast is not Reliable. Fast and Reliable is not Cheap!

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    Yep.
    If they let him off then where does it go from there?? Landlords allowing under age drinking because they feel a 17 year old should be able to drink alcohol??

And I bet a lot of his decision was based on the extra punters/cash he'd get in by allowing smoking.

is a retronaut

Status
    Yep I with the others mate, it's a law. The smoking ban was the best thing Labour ever did for this country.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

4th Gear

Status
    OK....I see your points.....but Ł10000 in fines ....and refusal to pay = 6 months in jail......shame they dont do the same sort of fines for drink drivers, drug pushers & muggers....
    Monza Silver A4 2.0TDi S-Line Avant Quattro (170) - Heated Alcantara Leather, Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Folding Door Miirrors, Electric Tailgate, Privacy Glass, etc

Spooly Spooly Boosty Boosty!

Status
    It's all means assessed. The more disposible income you have the more they fine you so it has an impact. No good setting a flat rate, as say, Ł300 would be a months rent for some people and just a good night out for others. So Ł10k in fines reflects the money he makes.
    I got fined Ł80 (not going to go into what for) but if I'd had to pay 10 grand it would have literally ruined me. I'm living on my student overdraft limit as it is...

The prison time on the other hand will be a set term, same for everybody.
    Cheap and Reliable is not Fast. Cheap and Fast is not Reliable. Fast and Reliable is not Cheap!

Up the owls!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeno View Post
    I got fined Ł80 (not going to go into what for)
    Oh go on, you know you want to :-)
    March 2011 - B8 Audi S4, Ibis White, S-Tronic, Leather / Alcantera Super Sports Seats, Heated Front Seats, Advanced Key, Tech Pack High, Electrically folding and auto dimming mirrors

SOLD - 8P Audi S3. Brilliant Black, FBMF wheel, Bose, RNS-E, Auto lights/wipers, Cruise control, Tyre pressure monitor, Parking sensors, Interior light pack, GSM phone prep, Armrest, Privacy glass, Electrically folding mirrors.

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    His wife, Denise Hogan, who is the landlady at The Swan With Two Necks in Chorley, said after the hearing: “He has not hurt anyone or robbed a bank. I feel lost for words that he has been sent to prison for letting someone smoke a cigarette.
    She's totally missed the point - he was jailed for non-payment of fines, the original offence has no bearing on him being sent to prison. He was fined in Jan 2008 and in over two years hasn't paid - what did he expect was going to happen....?

When Bolton Council brought the prosecution he pleaded not guilty to five counts of failing to prevent people from smoking in his pubs and four of obstructing council officers.
    I'd bet that he was warned, and warned again several times before they brought any prosecution. I imagine it was only after he had bee told and kept ignoring the law that he was prosecuted. Only got himself to blame in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Staz View Post
    The smoking ban was the best thing Labour ever did for this country.
    I agree with that, but I've never smoked. But it's certainly nice for non-smokers to be able to enjoy their nights out too now.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnboyC View Post
    but Ł10000 in fines ....and refusal to pay = 6 months in jail......shame they dont do the same sort of fines for drink drivers, drug pushers & muggers....
    I imagine the same would happen if they refused to pay their fines too.
    Last edited by quattrojames; 5th March 2010 at 12:38.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

Neutral

Status
    I used to smoke and quit just over 2 years ago now, when i walk into a pub now, i enjoy being able to smell no smoke as i now understand how much the smoke stenches. I think it is a good idea to bring the public house smoking ban in, However, I dont think an instant on the spot fine is really that necessary for dropping a cigarette dimp on the floor when someone who shoplifts gets a lesser fine?? I think if you were to look at the different parts of the law, there is a different opinion for each one and that being said some being way out of correctiveness to some being bang on......."My opinion only"