Dyslexia

smudge_don

Reaction score
Now i'm sorry to any dyslexic people out there, this is just my opinion

Basically, i'm on another forum where i have many friends and have been on there for a good few years

I absolutely HATE it when people make the most basic spelling mistakes :mad:

There's this one guy that has posted 3 threads today, and has got a word in the title wrong.....e.g.

"I've baught this laptop"

"What size breaks do i need?"

and

"Post up pics of you're Corsa"

He now blames it on dyslexia, but i'm sorry, these are basic English words that you learn from a very young age at school, and you use in everyday life

I'm not saying i'm a perfect speller, and i will occasionaly get my grammar wrong, but just consistantly mis-spelling very basic words seems a bit dodge to me

Don't mean to offend anyone, but i really do think that Dyslexia is just a made up syndrome sometimes

What are people's thoughts?

"I've baught this laptop"

"What size breaks do i need?"

and

"Post up pics of you're Corsa"

:gun2:

That's just toss lazy spelling and f**k all to do with dyslexia - which is a bit more serious and concerns the understanding of written language as a whole. "The reason I can't spell is because I'm dyslexic" (note how 'dyslexic' is always spelt perfectly) is pretty low actually - if you can't spell just admit it instead of chasing the sympathy vote. If you were too lazy to get out of bed you wouldn't go telling everyone you had cancer, would you?

Rant over...except for people who write 'brought' instead of 'bought',
fuuuuuuuuu.jpg

Lol you're (!) as bad as me! It gripes me too :banghead:

It's surely not as bad as ADHD which every badly behaved child seems to suffer from these days!

It's surely not as bad as ADHD which every badly behaved child seems to suffer from these days!

Don't get me started! Kids a bit of a handful? Then why not go to your friendly local GP who will diagnose your little darlings with an attention deficit disorder! Bingo, one prescription for mind-bending drugs later, and you're free to sit in front of the telly stuffing your fat f*****g face watching Katie and Peter while a pharmaceutical company turns your kid into a quiet, personality-free, docile vegetable...

more :gun2:

:gun2:

That's just toss lazy spelling and f**k all to do with dyslexia - which is a bit more serious and concerns the understanding of written language as a whole. "The reason I can't spell is because I'm dyslexic" (note how 'dyslexic' is always spelt perfectly) is pretty low actually - if you can't spell just admit it instead of chasing the sympathy vote. If you were too lazy to get out of bed you wouldn't go telling everyone you had cancer, would you?

Rant over...except for people who write 'brought' instead of 'bought',
fuuuuuuuuu.jpg

My point exactly :happy:

Just because they spell a few words wrong as they can't be bothered to type properly or check what they've written, all of a sudden they've got dyslexia

Spare a thought for the dyslexic devil worshipper.
He sold his soul to Santa.

Or was he just a lazy crap spelling git? (Not Santa)

Originally Posted by smudge_don
i will occasionaly get my grammar wrong, but just consistantly mis-spelling very basic words seems a bit dodge to me

They are not basic words though aythreee :p

Still, if you're gonna post up a whinge on this, at least spell your words correctly Jordan.

I remember when a certain member was getting grief about his punctuation spelling etc etc all the time, admittedly a full stop/paragraph would of been good, but lets not get to pedantic deary

I remember when a certain member was getting grief about his punctuation spelling etc etc all the time, admittedly a full stop/paragraph would of been good, but lets not get to pedantic deary

Would have been good Nige ;)

Most of this probably stems from texting and abreviating everything to a point where you cannot actually read what someone has written.

Its just pure laziness as far as i am concerned.

Last edited:
I used to consider myself a poor speller in my day (i've got worse with age too!) but todays standard is terrible. I'm guessing with things getting done on computers nowadays people will often not realise that the spelling checker has corrected their errors.

I am dyslexic, as strange as it sounds i just dont see the spelling errors. I will happily read large amounts of text and pick up grammatical errors but miss spelt words just pass my eyes.

I absolutely HATE it when people make the most basic spelling mistakes :mad:
What are people's thoughts?

i wood hate to be so board that other peoples pore spelling bothered me this much

get a grip is my thoughts !

no, i really am that stupid....

.....not that i am suggesting dyslexic people are stupid !

What I'm referring to is that you think it's boredom that causes people to be bothered by poor spelling. It's not boredom, it's something to do with that fact that I am TRYING TO READ!!

What I'm referring to is that you think it's boredom that causes people to be bothered by poor spelling. It's not boredom, it's something to do with that fact that I am TRYING TO READ!!

So your saying that you struggle to read due to simple spelling errors?

So your saying that you struggle to read due to simple spelling errors?

I find it more difficult to read when words are not spelled the way they're supposed to be yes! Of course :keule:

Bit of a harsh thread...

Some people generally do struggle with simple spellings and grammar, it's ignorant to think otherwise...

I can't see it's really that big a deal to get wound up about, if your reasonably clever you should beable to work out what the individual is trying to put across in there post...

Bit of a harsh thread...

Some people generally do struggle with simple spellings and grammar, it's ignorant to think otherwise...

I can't see it's really that big a deal to get wound up about, if your reasonably clever you should beable to work out what the individual is trying to put across in there post...

I have very little issue with people not being able to spell (although certain spelling mistakes make me want to go on a killing spree) more with people not being able to spell and instead of just saying "I can't spell, bite me" trot out the sympathy card and claim to be dyslexic when in actual fact they are about as dyslexic as my pencil sharpener. Bulls**t and very disrespectful to those who actually do have a problem.

My old man's dyslexic and he's never needed to use it as an excuse :gun2:

Last edited:
I have very little issue with people not being able to spell (although certain spelling mistakes make me want to go on a killing spree) more with people not being able to spell and instead of just saying "I can't spell, bite me" trot out the sympathy card and claim to be dyslexic when in actual fact they are about as dyslexic as my pencil sharpener. Bulls**t and very disrespectful to those who actually do have a problem.

My old man's dyslexic and he's never needed to use it as an excuse :gun2:

I totally agree with what you say, so is my old man...

Seems some people are getting confused with what it means to be ' dyslexic '

Yes there are people who are not dyslexic and really just can't spell, but getting irritated by this...I don't see why.

Care bears...

In a lot of cases (not all) bad spelling and poor grammar is down to laziness. We often get posts typed in ASN with not a single capital letter, comma, apostrophe or full stop in sight. This can make post very hard to read.

A classic examples are Id rather then I'd. These are very small things in some ways but do make things much more difficult to read. On the 8P forum we are trying to keep up a reasonable standard and anyone who types in this way gets a PM pointing out the error of their ways.

Minor spelling mistakes can also be sorted very easily by using a spell checker. Many browsers come with a built in spell checker but IE does not. If you want one do a search for IESpell, download and install this free add-on and it adds a button to the IE toolbar and you can spell check what ever you've written.

Bit of a harsh thread...

Yep I can work out what's being said nearly every time but it's me that's having to put the effort in because someone else is not. When it comes to dyslexia or simply poor spelling ability (not everyone can do it) I sympathise completely and I'm not going to kick off at every little mistake or something and I never have done but I feel that everyone should make an effort.

I currently use Firefox and it has a built in spell checker that underlines words as you type in the same way as Word. I will write a paragraph and then go back, right click and correct all my mistakes (I wrote dyslexia wrong!). Takes 30 seconds to do but it means that other people can read what I write with ease.

Sure your not Dyslexic?

You're

I currently use Firefox and it has a built in spell checker that underlines words as you type in the same way as Word. I will write a paragraph and then go back, right click and correct all my mistakes (I wrote dyslexia wrong!). Takes 30 seconds to do but it means that other people can read what I write with ease.

Yeah that's fair enough.

It's also a case I suppose of taking pride in what you are writing and not wanting to come across to other users as a bit of a moron...lol

It's also a case I suppose of taking pride in what you are writing and not wanting to come across to other users as a bit of a moron...lol

Agreed. It's a shame all the members of ASN do not take the same view.

Yeah that's fair enough.

haha, very true.....yet our country is being run by a fella who managed to stick a letter in the post this week with 20+ spelling mistakes !!

haha, very true.....yet our country is being run by a fella who managed to stick a letter in the post this week with 20+ spelling mistakes !!

That's the least of his problems!

There was a woman in the radio today who spoke perfectly good English with a good vocabulary but she seemed to feel the need to say that she had "dylecsa" :keule:

There was a woman in the radio today who spoke perfectly good English with a good vocabulary but she seemed to feel the need to say that she had "dylecsa" :keule:

I guess anyone whose stuck "IN" a radio would have problems with there speech :laugh:

If you actually study the english language, you will see that a significant amount of people do not use the correct nouns, pronouns, adjectives etc in their correct places.

Its very much more involved than one would initially think.

lol

And even more seem have no idea about such a simple basic things such as using capital letters, full stops and commas in the correct places. Simple things that make reading of anything they right so much easier for everyone.

And even more seem have no idea about such a simple basic things such as using capital letters, full stops and commas in the correct places. Simple things that make reading of anything they right so much easier for everyone.

or write even...:laugh:

Quite so. Wrong right/write. Must be going dyslexic!!