Most annoying things about driving on motorways??

B

bentleyboy

I'll start it off.........

Is it just me or did all lorry drivers go to the same driving school??

For the past few months I have been driving from London to York every couple of weeks and I have noticed a VERY annoying habit of lorry drivers and they ALL seem to do it.

The A1(M) is pretty much two lanes for most of the way. As per usual lorry drivers tend to drive in the slow lane (left lane), at no more than about 60mph. Nothing strange there.
However, every 5-10 minutes one always decides to move into the right lane to overtake the lorry in front of it, BUT the driver does this at only about 1mph more than the lorry he is overtaking, taking what feels like hours to pass the lorry he is overtaking, holding up me and everyone else in the process. :banghead:

And just to rub salt in the wound the driver then moves back into the slow lane, about 5 meters in front of the lorry he has just taken a life time to overtake... only to drive at exactly the same speed as it.
SOOOOOOOOOOOOO ANNOYING, and IMO POINTLESS!! :keule:
And they ALL seem to do it!

As sad as it might sound, I have even checked the time at the point one of them moved out to overtake, and four minutes later he still hadn't totally made it past the other lorry and moved back into the slow lane!!!

P***es me right off!! :mad:

Yep, I'd go with that.

Motorways are full of idiots.

You have the middle lane hoggers (Merc's and Volvo's sat at 60mph whilst the inside lane is clear).

My least favourite are the people who drive diesel people carriers in the fast lane doing about 70-90mph (the one's with "Back off - little princess onboard" stickers in the back window), but will never move over. People moan about undertaking, but if people weren't so stupidly ignorant it would never have to happen.

I have to agree with the middle lane and 3rd lane hoggers, what is the need for it??

If you can be undertaken, then you are in the wrong lane, simple as that!!!

Also when someone pulls out in front of you to overtake, knowing that you are coming up and then when its clear, not moving back in, whats that about, you have overtaken, now get back in so I can overtake your a55!!!

All within legal speed limits of course :)

My least favourite are the people who drive diesel people carriers in the fast lane doing about 70-90mph (the one's with "Back off - little princess onboard" stickers in the back window), but will never move over. People moan about undertaking, but if people weren't so stupidly ignorant it would never have to happen.

I know the exact type you are talking about about. Annoying also!!

And you just know that when you do eventually get next to them and can see who they are, 9 times out of 10 they all look the same.... i.e. sitting with their nose one inch from the windscreen, both hands tightly clutching the steering wheel, oblivious to the 10 mile tailback they are causing!!

The Trucks/Lorrys are all restricted to 56mph and cannot go faster, but occasionally, they can get a bit of a slipstream from another truck(plus their speedo is 1mph out) and overtake at +1mph which is why it takes so long!

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=33504&highlight=lorry+drivers

This old chestnut appears every few months, in Germany on roads like that HGV's are restricted to the inside lane at certain times of the day when its very busy, its not all their fault though most HGV's are limited to 56mph on the motorway whose clever idea was that: http://www.howmotorwayswork.co.uk/hgv.htm

:)
Guess it's not just me who is pee'd off by it then!

Those Eddie Stobart lorries are particularly annoying. Drive like they own the motorways!!

Nearest 3 lane motorway to me is about 200 miles away but I still know how to use them. The middle lane hoggers do my t*ts in.

Biggest problem around here is the absolutely appauling lane discipline.

The Trucks/Lorrys are all restricted to 56mph and cannot go faster, but occasionally, they can get a bit of a slipstream from another truck(plus their speedo is 1mph out) and overtake at +1mph which is why it takes so long!

Guess it depends on the load they have and how old/knackered the tractor unit is...

Foreign registered lorries dont tend to hang about tho.

Surely they should just stay where they are if all they are going to gain is 1mph for a few minutes and probably run out of steam as they get alongside the lorry being overtaken.

I admit that on the odd occassion I have pulled out into the fast lane and held someone up. But I at least feel guilty and try to move back across asap. But these guys just sit there with not a care in the world, sometimes not moving back at all and drive for a few miles more so they can overtake that other lorry they see in the distance!!
Have they no conscience!!!!

The thing that REALLY "grinds my gears" (hello, family guy reference, lol) is when I'm screaming down the fast lane and some smart *** thinks it's funny to signal as if they're going to pull out, making me slam the brakes on, only for them to then sit in the same lane with a stupid grin on their face, proud that they made me slow down.

One day I will pit one of those f**kers off the road, slowing down only to shout, "that's for taking 5mil off my pads, *** hole!!" and drive away with the one finger salute raised high from my window.

Anyone else have this happen? Only seems to be on the A1(M) for me. :ermm:

I hog the fast lane in my cossie, only because I like to get assholes in mercs and beemers up behind me flashing their lights for me to move over so I can floor it and leave them :laugh:

lol hahahaha thats ok its the freeks doing 70 and not budging for about 5 miles arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh ive actually snapped that bad flew right acrross into the hard shoulder and gone right round to get in front then they get the swival and wan$%& sign

I do the european way and undertake also give them a look....mofo's

I do the european way and undertake also give them a look....mofo's

yeah a proper look of death in this mask and the v's hahahaha that would be pee funny

h2psycho1.jpg

The people who do my head in on motorways are :
1) Lorry drivers overtaking doing 1mph more than the lorry they are overtaking taking miles and miles to overtake - tossers !
2) People in the outside lane who dont appear to have any mirrors
3) Twats who have to speed up in the middle lane when I am trying to overtake them
4) Those morons who thinks its ok to use any lane possible to get ahead ....only for me to catch up with them at the next traffic jam.....
5) the moron in a range rover on the M6 J23 who must of been doing well over a ton, overtook me whilst I was in middle lane to almost take my bonnet off when he shot off carving me right up and then headed down a slip road - oh yeah he was on his mobile at the time as well !
6) The plastic plod in their 4wd that close the motorway if an ant gets run over -

Hmmmm, thats it .....me I am the perfect driver on motorways ...err NOT:no: !

Check out this web site ...covers most annoying motorway issues
http://www.howmotorwayswork.co.uk/

Last edited:

That's drives me nuts and they always do it on dual carriageways so you can't get past!

I hate it when you're driving merrily along with cruise control on and some d!ckhead decides to pull out in front of you

Gimps who pull into your breaking distance space. particualrly bad in wet weather when you have to leave a larger gap.

It's not for you moron, it's for me!

Although I think the worst piece of motorway useage came from Mr. Saab.
Overtaking a lorry in the middle lane (the lorry not me, I was in the outside lane) and Mr. Saab come haring up behind me and sat close enough that I couldn't see his number plate in the mirror, I was doing circa 85 not not really holding the show up. Anyway, put my foot on the brake pedal so the lights came on but no braking actually happened, and he backed off, I got past the lorry and moved in.

All sorted methinks.

Or not. Mr. Saab pulls alongside me and motions for me to pull over (to the hard shoulder I assumed) I made it clear I wasn't going to as politely as I could and noticed he had 3 very young kids in the car.
He was obviously not impressed and pulled across in front of me, missing my front end by feet and hammered on the anchors.
Luckily I was quick enough on the brakes and steering to avoid **** ending him at 80mph and killing the kids on the back and there was no-one on the outside of me else they'd have been mashed into the central reservation.

This spectacular display of motorway ettique prompted my mrs (who is a nervous passenger at the best of times) to go into hysterics and call the old bill. He realised this was the case and finally ****** off...

Genius. Endager the lives of three children because I pointed out your moroinc driving :thumbsup:

Last edited:
wow keeno what a ***** he was .....ive refrained many times from road rage when i clock kids in the other car , i mean how bad would it be to see your dad get the sh*t kicked out of him it must be horriffic...

so i always put my foot down give em the vs and drop a cog .... this morn i pulled out on a road the lights to the right of me were on red no one could go anywhere so i pulled out this truck was rolling toward me and neerly hit me on purpose for pulling out i thought what a c*&t..

i started to get vexed i looked in my rear view to see a leyland badge on my back shelf i looked out my side mirror he was looking back through the mirror clearly knowing what he's doing i had a baby in the car to , quickly saw red i said carry on in the side mirror he put his hand up to his ear trying to be smart i then quickly snapped got out of mar car walked up to his window and said look mate its 9:00 in the morining i got my baby in the car and if you dont back off with your silly games im gona beet you to neer effin death with a wheel brace or my fists if thats what you prefer got back in my car he backed off lovely peacefull morning again , sunshine , birdeys tweeting ,deep breaths.. lol

Last edited:
Most annoying thing for me is when people cut right in front/across me just before an exit, they've had plenty of time to get in the left-hand lane but are too impatient to do so. People's impatience causes most bad motorway driving imo.

Most annoying one for me is when I'm on the bike white-lining past queueing traffic, and I see the tw*t ahead, look in his wing mirror and deliberately move towards the white line to block me going past. Usually driving a low-spec BMW or Vectra!!

A freind of mine who has no fear and is a general all-round nutter, once got back at someone for that by whacking off their wing mirror with his armoured glove as he went past!!

Cheers,

lol ...i know there's some unbelievable t£%ts on the road i always seem to get it with golfs and seats ,especially seats i mean these guys are effin deluded not that the leon fr isnt faster but its no where near as good and they think its the dogs better looking and all that ,freeks man just freeks......lol i mean you get boots and you get the pound shop its not hard is it ...hahahaha

A freind of mine who has no fear and is a general all-round nutter, once got back at someone for that by whacking off their wing mirror with his armoured glove as he went past!!

Lol that did make me smile! I don't see the point of people trying to block bikes? So what if the guy goes down the middle and 'jumps' the queue, it had no effect on themdoes it?

I think my number one pet hate is tailgaters, it's quite disconcerting have some **** so close to you knowing that if something happens they are going to run straight into the back of you.

people who drive up my ar$e on motorways get me annoyed but generally I just let them past so they can enjoy their own sad little personal victory.

T

I've done 750 miles on motorways recently and without a shadow of a doubt BMW drivers are the worst

hehe I know about it too, (motorways in sweden)

But I always thought that they are driving with the speed holders..,.

Not really a motorway but dual carrigeway, had a VW campervan circa 1970 something stuck close to my back bumper last Friday on a damp downhill bit of dual carrigeway near Oxford. Came round a slight bend only to find both lanes with stopped traffic in, so put the brakes on sharpish and pulled up with room to spare only the divvie in the campervan is too close for his feeble brakes to stop him in time so he has to swerve into the outer of the two lanes and proceeded to whack the Fiesta that was coming up quickly in the front wing - what a kn0b !! two vehicles with dents cos he drove like a right prat and wasn't taking the conditions into account.

Incorrect, not all lorries are restricted to 56mph but the majority are. It's not such to do with slipstream either, it's load. If you have a 40 tonne 18 wheeler, limited to 56mph, then a 20 tonne 18 wheeler behind him, due to the load the lighter one will generally pull out and overtake, most of the time it's to do with fuel economy rather than being a ****, however saying that, there are a lot of absolute **** bags driving wagons these days, especially foreign lorries and those with no discernible livery.

My biggest hate is lane discipline, or the lack of it. 75% of people on the road today are arrogant, lazy, selfish pig headed twats that need to be shot. The M1 which cost 40 million pounds a mile (for the new section) is such a waste of money, it'd be understandable to think you're driving in a foreign country such is the amount of traffic quashed up in lanes 3 & 4, leaving lane 1 free for me to undertake them all, the eventually get arrested and bummed for 10 years in prison.

Not really a motorway but dual carrigeway, had a VW campervan circa 1970 something stuck close to my back bumper last Friday on a damp downhill bit of dual carrigeway near Oxford. Came round a slight bend only to find both lanes with stopped traffic in, so put the brakes on sharpish and pulled up with room to spare only the divvie in the campervan is too close for his feeble brakes to stop him in time so he has to swerve into the outer of the two lanes and proceeded to whack the Fiesta that was coming up quickly in the front wing - what a kn0b !! two vehicles with dents cos he drove like a right prat and wasn't taking the conditions into account.

At least he had the decency to swerve and hit the Fiesta, rather than your beloved Audi!!

Was it the one that caused the tailbacks on the A34 just down from the M40? If so, glad I was on the bike...

Cheers,

Most annoying one for me is when I'm on the bike white-lining past queueing traffic, and I see the tw*t ahead, look in his wing mirror and deliberately move towards the white line to block me going past. Usually driving a low-spec BMW or Vectra!

I hate motorcyclists that do this, I cant be ***** checking my wing mirrors every 5 seconds on the off chance some fatty on his bike is weaving through traffic, when Im in the Sprinter I'll make the effort but still get glared at even though my 4 metre long 3.5 ton van is hugging the central reservation leaving plenty of room....

At least he had the decency to swerve and hit the Fiesta, rather than your beloved Audi!!

Was it the one that caused the tailbacks on the A34 just down from the M40? If so, glad I was on the bike...

Cheers,

Think I might have got a tad upset if he'd hit the Audi :mad:

Was on the A420 at the time trying to get around the jam on the A34, just coming onto the Botley Interchange - never did find out what was causing the jams.

lol this used to bother me a lot, but after relocating to Saudi Arabia a year and a half ago it's a nightmare here. You wouldn't believe the $hit people do on the motorway. My driving has become really recluse due to other drivers. Firstly everyone hogs the fast lane and NO ONE KNOWS WTF their side mirrors are for :banghead:!!!! honestly you should see how people change lanes around here, they just swerve and wait for someone to honk their horn if there's someone in the way.

My driving has become really bad, I now overtake people on the hard shoulder IN FRONT OF THE POLICE :banghead:!! Hell even the police does it, I usually let them pass in front of my on the hard shoulder and then hammer it up their **** and overtake everyone in the process.

Once the motorway clears up you see everyone still hogging the fast lane, which is when I get really happy because both middle and slow lanes are completely empty, which is when I really hammer it and pass every MORON that's hogging the fast lane!!

Actually that's probably the best feeling I get on the motorway.:sly:

Oh another thing, ROUNDABOUTS!! Ugh to get into and out of a rand-about the rule goes the faster you go in and the more balls you have the more likely you'll get through and others will stop for you. If you wait at a roundabout intersection you'll NEVER get through. All of this is done in front of the police.

I've only been stopped once for overtaking on the hard shoulder because I overtook a police car at high speed lol (saw him at the last minute) anyway it was only a £25 fine, with no points or anything so it doesn't really deter me from doing it again.

Oh and I nearly got side swiped by a freaking Toyota Land-cruiser who was driving like a complete lunatic swerving between 4 lanes WITH KIDS IN THE BACK SEAT AND NO ONE WEARING A SEAT BELT. He even had the balls to stop and look at me.....I screamed out ever swear word I know in both Arabic and English lol Rant over!!!

Once the motorway clears up you see everyone still hogging the fast lane, which is when I get really happy because both middle and slow lanes are completely empty, which is when I really hammer it and pass every MORON that's hogging the fast lane!!

Are you sure that is actually the fast lane they are all driving in???
You do realise they drive on the opposite side to here in the UK??!?! :whistle2: ;) :)

Trucks/Lorrys can have quite a range in their speeds all down to when they are callibrated on the tacco . One that is set up on nearlly worn out tyres then gets some new rubber goes a little faster.

I know its nowt but apparently some drivers argue to get the extra 1-3 mph lol

Fingermouse...thats pretty interesting...still does not detract that the people driving these trucks should have consideration for other road users....

My personal opinion is that all HGV's should be banned off the roads from say 06:00 to 09:00 and 16:00 to 19:00.....and weekends and bank holidays....

5) the moron in a range rover on the M6 J23 who must of been doing well over a ton, overtook me whilst I was in middle lane to almost take my bonnet off when he shot off carving me right up and then headed down a slip road - oh yeah he was on his mobile at the time as well !

Exactly this happened to me a couple of months back, heading south on the M6. Silver Range Rover flew past, to cut me up and he was on his phone. Only to go and do the same to my dad a couple of minutes later! Maybe its the same guy with a stupid hobby!? lol

Fingermouse...thats pretty interesting...still does not detract that the people driving these trucks should have consideration for other road users....

My personal opinion is that all HGV's should be banned off the roads from say 06:00 to 09:00 and 16:00 to 19:00.....and weekends and bank holidays....

Im not a 100% but im pretty sure the whole country would grind to a halt in other ways if wagons were off the road 6 hours a day. People easily forget that virtually everything they buy has been delivered by a wagon at some point.

Maybe banning HGVs from overtaking other HGVs during these hours would be more sensible but even then, what happens when these HGVs come to a escorted heavy load doing 30mph, or a tractor? Then there would be real traffic chaos!

Just my 2p