Change of Speed Limit

denzelburner

Reaction score
Did anyone know that the speed limit has been reduced for vans? On a single carriageway signed at national speed limit, it is now 50mph for vans, and on a duel carriageway it's 60mph, even in a car derived van with rear windows. I found this out today from a police motorcyclists that a mate and I was following at 60 on a single carriageway for some time. He said he wouldn't give him points this time, as it's a new law that's only been in for about 6 months! I never even knew they'd changed it. Correct me if you think I'm wrong, but what a waste of time and a stupid thing to do, for a single carriage way, having car drivers getting annoyed at now not just caravans (grockle houses down here :laugh:), but now vans as well!

You sure he wasnt fecking with you mate?

Now when I saw you post I knew was a joke Voorhees, lol, oh well vans of the list of dream vehicles then, lol

Surely, going by those rules that voorhees kindly flagged, older vehicles with older style drum brakes, and large heavy vehicles such as Landrovers and Rangerovers should also have to travel at lower speeds, as the braking distance of those would be larger than the average vehicle too?

I don't think thats a new law in fairness been like that for years - also applies to double cab pick-ups I think. Like all speed limits in this country it's pretty out of date.

HGV's are restricted to 40 in the same circumstances.

I was thinking that, when I saw the date of the rules, but the bikeplod said it had only just come out. Wonder how long he's been doing it for?

So, to clarify.....next time I am driving down the M6 at say 70mph....the white Merc van right up my backside is braking the law ?

So, to clarify.....next time I am driving down the M6 at say 70mph....the white Merc van right up my backside is braking the law ?

The limits discussed in this thread refer to A and B roads, motorways are different: a car derived van up to 2t mgw can do 70, any other van is 60, so yes the Merc Sprinter would be breaking the law I guess :angrymod:

Get out of the middle lane then, a fully laden lwb hi-top sprinter is more than capable of reaching 90mph... :p