F***IN VISTA!

ALPINE

Yes its diesel, now cry u lost
Reaction score
ok.... i had to buy a new pc as my old 1 was very ******... and being they dont sell new pcs with xp any more i had to have vista! ok i thought ill give it a go.

got the pc home, plugged it in, registerd all the ******** ya need to sat back and thought this vista is quite funky. after spending hours cusomising my new toy putting my tunes on it etc it was time to goto bed.

turned it off and off we went.

come home today and i have no internet. ok... i reset my router (as we all need to do somtimes) still nothing. tuned my lappy on and i have internet. (scratches head)
done all the normal crap to try and ge net back.. nothing. litterlly i was stuck and did not understand why. (i could not even access my router)

so i ring sky ip (my provider) go through all the normal gubbins they do still nothing. i get put through to a "expert" technicion. he said there is a flaw in vista that after a few hours it disables your Nic card. (basicly disables ya network card) he said turn off the pc unplug the power lead an leave it half hour. turn it back on and goto the microsoft site for a patch to fix it!

so i done this.... nothing!! what a load of ********!! im now quite stressed and thinking of takin pc back to shop tomorrow. i use my lappy to download a update put it on my external drive and transfer it to my new pc. this did not work also.

i get another beer and unplug it for about 1 min and turn it back on.. low and behold i have internet. so i race to the microsoft site again and down load a load of updates. im online and hopfully will stay that way!

been lookin on loads of forums regarding this issue. it dumps ya defult gatway.

bill gates.... your a ****** ******!! cheers for telling us that we need to do this to get our pcs running! ****!!

rant over!!

any 1 else had this prob??

edit: i will also add this new pc swallowed up my window tinting funds as the car was booked in this weekend!! gutted now!! lol

at least you got it sorted out ah. my pc went awol last year,and my pc expert mate i couldnt get hold of, well that was it. foot through the tower, fist down on keyboard. wife came through shouting, too late, tower kaputt , keyboard still ok though.
now i have to get up and come back an hour later.............................

I was a Broadband technician for a year and a half and now do IT Support for BT, never heard of the term dumping the default gateway.

I have Vista myself and not had this issue.

An ipconfig /release and /renew should bring back the gateway.

Should make sure your TCP/IP Internet Protocols are set to obtain automatically too.

The Sky "expert" sounded like he was trying to get rid of you. You can check if your nic has been disabled via the device manager.

I was a Broadband technician for a year and a half and now do IT Support for BT, never heard of the term dumping the default gateway.

I have Vista myself and not had this issue.

An ipconfig /release and /renew should bring back the gateway.

Should make sure your TCP/IP Internet Protocols are set to obtain automatically too.

The Sky "expert" sounded like he was trying to get rid of you. You can check if your nic has been disabled via the device manager.

done all of that mate and its died again. i can get on with my laptop. every 1 is tellin me i need a vista hotfix. but cant get online to download it!!!

comets getting a visit today i think!

Alpinehead, what router are you using and what ISP? I've had these type of issues using Vigin Cable and Linksys routers in the past, it could be the router that's at fault and not your lappy?

I'm about to order a new Dell, is this a problem just with Vista premium?

I use Vista Premium and dont experience these issues.

I've not had any probs apart from some of my older WWII games not working so rolled back the gc driver - prob sorted.

I got a new Dell XPS M1530 last week (fab machine) and it comes with Vista Home Premium. On delivery I had a similar problem getting connected to the web. I have a D-Link 802.n wireless router and although I could find the signal very clearly, I just couldn't connect - I didn't even get a pass-key prompt. Tried everything; setting the router IP address as the DNS (no luck), ipconfig /renew as Minty suggested - nothing. In the end, I connected both devices with a LAN cable and looked at the Admin section of the router - it turns out I had inadvertantly tied-down the security after setting it up, so access for any device has to be granted by the router itself...

Regarding Vista vs XP, I work as a application developer and have to support various legacy systems, so XP Pro is important to me. The solution was to use Virtual PC (free 30MB download from Microsoft) and I'm just about sorted now after millions of updates. You will need a genuine XP install DVD to install from though.

Call me a luddite but I never trust *any* windows OS until the next one comes out, my home PCs still on Win2k (simply cos it does everything I need) & only recently got forced to upgrade to XP by work *shrug*

Win2k all the way, i have been using it for years and will continue to do so for as long as i can, its just so much more stable!!!

Vista is the biggest pile of bloatware I've ever experienced.
Brand new laptop, 2GHz, 2GB RAM and it runs slower than my 5 year olds Omnibook which is 7 years old and very low spec.
I cannot believe Microsoft are allowed to get away with this shyte. No IT manager in his right mind would allow Vista anywhere near his network, so how do we get bullied into using it?
I buy a new laptop, which cannot be easily or cheaply rolled back to XP, so that means I have to buy a shedload of memory for it (as 1GB is the MS minimum so for that read 2GB), and a new printer & scanner into the bargain.
You could run the starship enterprise on a lower spec machine, and that's just to run the O/S let alone any applications. Surely the point of a new version of anything is to make it more efficient and faster than its predecesor, not turn it into the obese, disabled garbage that is Vista. Unbelievable!

AHAHAH Firefox is king of bloatware!! *dones flame jacket*

Seriously tho.. yeah... vista... pppft! Theres a lot of places that arent shipping it so maybe you shoulda had a look around for a lappo with XP... or better yet, wipe the fcuker and get some flavour of linux on. ;)

Which is why I'm reluctant to upgrade to a newer lappy, this ancient Toshiba Satellite i'm using here does the job for me running XP, not even a glass of milk is going to kill it off. :)

This issue was fixed in service pack one? And affected virtually no products, so i think you have been unlucky. Dell 1530 its a known issue, its the card not vistas fault.

Vista is let near a lot of businesses because vista business is mostly XP Pro with knobs on.

There is a lot of hate towards vista which comes from unjustified scaremongering of programs not working, run in compatibility mode and will be fine!

Not at all, it's the fact you need at least twice the spec just to run the O/S at the same speed as XP for absolutely no benefit other than lining Gates/Ballmer's pockets.
Not sure what MickeyMouse businesses you deal with but I don't know any corporate that would touch it with a barge pole. If the business version is just XP with knobs on, why? Seems strange/unbelievable that they'd have 2 versions that are built from 2 completely different sets of code and require completely different drivers & support backend. I'm not talking about older programs not working just purely the speed of the O/S, god forbid you'd actually want to run an application as well as the O/S!

if you buy any pc with Vista business you get the option of using Win XP Pro instead as i have had to do this at work loads as we buy Laptops but the have to be XP for our network. You can still buy the odd laptop running XP Pro too which proves very useful.

I am sticking with XP both my desktops at home use it and i know where everything is. Vista looks nice but is useless at everything else.