What recession (pension)

Gti Jazz Blue

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
/rant Just got a statement through for my Company Stakeholder pension.

Total contributions for the year £4,227.14, increase in total plan value £
[FONT=&quot]685.62 overall loss in value £3,542.13.

Covering letter says to ring them if I have any quiries - eh - like what the f*** have you been doing with my money. :haudrauf:

I'd have had better growth with it stuffed under my bed, at least it would have gained some dust.

/rant off

Paul
[/FONT]

Ouch sorry to hear it dude. I use Scottish Widows and have always had good returns. You'd be better off sticking it in an icici account (i use them for my accessible savings): http://www.icicibank.co.uk/
Used to be with ING but they froze their interest rate and gave me some **** and bull letter explaining why it was so beneficial for them to do so.

How long have you been in the Stakeholder scheme?
If it is the first year then TBH, you can expect that as these pension companies are feckers for their up front fees.

If it is not the first year you need to get on to them to move into different funds. I moved all of my pension that was exposed to the FTSE into "cash" funds when the FTSE was at 6300. I also shifted the bit that was exposed to commercial property in the middle of last year to a cash fund.
Yes, the cash funds are paying a paltry 3% or so but at least I have held onto my capital and can dive back in after the crash and pick up some cheap stocks.

Ask them what funds you are currently in and what alternatives they have. I'd play it safe for the next year or so.

Been running for a few years now (10) and as we have been able to take more drawings we have upped the contribution.

I may well get them to change the allocation away from the FTSE as it is so bad ATM.

Thanks for the advice all.

Paul

Have a look at some of the funds that Fidelity do. Their Special Situations and Global Special Situations have done very well over the past couple of years (which is no indicator of future performance, obviously).